corral muck

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple L

Reaction score
A little back ground, bought a new place that has a real nice cattle barn. the barn has feed bunks and just about all the bells and whistles any one could want. execpt...... the muck. The bulls (mine and a budy's) are keep in the corral with the cow and heifers out in the pasture. What can I do to help with this muck. Once we move the bulls out for breading I can let the corral dry enough to grade it out some and add a gutter to the barn but for now these bulls are sinking up to their knees. Any idea for a short term fix?

thanks Sam

Load the bulls in a trailer, get into the lot with a loader and pileup the wet muck. Do your grading etc., Spring is coming and it will only get worse the more it rains and the more they eat.

If you mound it or slope it so that the water has somewhere to go it helps a lot.

We built ours up with roadbase so that the water ran instead of ponded and put a gutter on the barn and diverted it. Surprising how much easier it is to work in now and the girls aren;t sunk up to their udders in crud.

dun

I put in concrete several years ago in the area where I feed hay. Best money I ever spent. The back area is sloped as Dun suggested and stay's reasonably firm.
Makes life alot more pleasant when feeding, whether it be driving in with round bales ot throwing sqaure bales in a feeder.

We have not nad any winter here in Mid-MO, 40-50 and spring is on the way. I am starting to worry about hoof rot also. I do have concrete from them to stnad on where i give them hay. But they are alway standing in the muck.

Sam

Triple L":1pbkha7s said:
We have not nad any winter here in Mid-MO, 40-50 and spring is on the way. I am starting to worry about hoof rot also. I do have concrete from them to stnad on where i give them hay. But they are alway standing in the muck.

Sam

Increase the iodine and keep an eye on them. Some cattle seem to be better equiped to slog through much 24/7 without a problem.

dun

I wish we had that problem here in Texas. Here in the south part I haven't seen mud since last winter. It is so dry the ground is like cement, not a green spig to be seen. Just hope that it will rain some day.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":27ug96lc said:
A barn yard with out muck. That is uncommon. I dont know anyone that doesnt have muck that is less than knee deep in their barn yard 24/7 365. The only way to prevent this from happening would be to put some geothermal fabric that they sale at the coop down and then put gravel on top of it this will keep it from getting muddy. Only thing is this is going to be so expensive it wouldnt even be worth it. I would just leave it muddy if it were me.

Not to be a smart alec, but I am wondering..what is geothermal fabric? Is this the stuff that is warmed by naturally occuring hot water from a spring or something of the like?

I know places out west have geothermal springs, and when I was stationed in Iceland they had them piped into everything, and every where, but I had no idea that they had a system for cattle?

What will they think of next? ;-)

Medic24":eljcl54m said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":eljcl54m said:
A barn yard with out muck. That is uncommon. I dont know anyone that doesnt have muck that is less than knee deep in their barn yard 24/7 365. The only way to prevent this from happening would be to put some geothermal fabric that they sale at the coop down and then put gravel on top of it this will keep it from getting muddy. Only thing is this is going to be so expensive it wouldnt even be worth it. I would just leave it muddy if it were me.

Not to be a smart alec, but I am wondering..what is geothermal fabric? Is this the stuff that is warmed by naturally occuring hot water from a spring or something of the like?

I know places out west have geothermal springs, and when I was stationed in Iceland they had them piped into everything, and every where, but I had no idea that they had a system for cattle?

What will they think of next? ;-)

I assume it's the same thing everyone else calls geotextile fabric, must be a differetn variaty in tn

dun

cypressfarms":16zehqvp said:
Crowderfarms":16zehqvp said:
Dun, Excuse Maw, It's Geotextile Fabric here in Tennessee too.

Crowder, if you had to do the above for every one of the wacky posts you would never sleep.
Someone has to protect the rest of us Tennessee Boys from evil.Might as well be me.

You may want to try and find some flax straw bales. Spread those out all over the pen and let the bulls trample it into the muck. Its not going to make a huge difference, but it will help some. I spread flax bales around my watering bowls every spring to hold a little base.

Rod

Plain old straw will help, too......as long as you clean out your corrals once in a while - like on a yearly basis.

yea andto think he is doing it without having any real sense of what he is talking about
99% hot air 1% bs or is it the other way around

Latest posts