Corral layout

Help Support CattleToday:

With the corral the, way it is, I would add one thing. Even if it's temporary, just to make it work for the bull......
Take a handy panel or whatever you have and attach it to the 'south side' of the outer perimeter. (see red line) That way, when you have the bull, or who ever against the east side/entrance of the pen, you can 'lock' them in that side of the pen by lining the push gate up with it, (the added panel) That way they can not turn back or run around you and the push gate when you are trying to move them into the alleyway. Does that make sense?cattlechat.jpeg

The only way out of the corral is to go out through the chute. They go out of chute into small holding area. When done working everything,
I set the head gate open, everybody walks back into the corral and straight out through the head gate and get a snack. :)
Please bear in mind I have only a few head. This would not be practical for Silver or gcreekrch

Your talking about the chute itself right?
Yes, our chute boards are rough cut 2.5 x 8 on approximately 6 ft spacing for posts. Some idiots still try climbing out at times but we haven't replaced a board since it was rebuilt in 2016. The whole herd goes though this setup at least twice per year. Some three times. Semen test 50 bulls every spring. Build it right once and you won't be rebuilding or training cattle bad habits.IMG_6113.jpeg
IMG_5631.jpegIMG_1018.jpeg

With the corral the, way it is, I would add one thing. Even if it's temporary, just to make it work for the bull......
Take a handy panel or whatever you have and attach it to the 'south side' of the outer perimeter. (see red line) That way, when you have the bull, or who ever against the east side/entrance of the pen, you can 'lock' them in that side of the pen by lining the push gate up with it, (the added panel) That way they can not turn back or run around you and the push gate when you are trying to move them into the alleyway. Does that make sense?View attachment 37678
Yes, it makes good sense. Believe it or not, the people gate faces due south and the chute runs from entrance (east) and runs west to exit. Even your directions for positioning is correct. I think this is one thing I can do easy by adding panels I already have on hand. I have been given some good advise on different little changes I can make it work and safer also. Thanks

Yes, our chute boards are rough cut 2.5 x 8 on approximately 6 ft spacing for posts. Some idiots still try climbing out at times but we haven't replaced a board since it was rebuilt in 2016. The whole herd goes though this setup at least twice per year. Some three times. Semen test 50 bulls every spring. Build it right once and you won't be rebuilding or training cattle bad habits.View attachment 37688
View attachment 37689View attachment 37690
Some good ideas picked up here. How tall is your shoot? Spacing between the boards? (Gap)

Ok, I understand it now. I think with all the ideas and suggestions given, I can come up with something workable a safer. Thanks
Wish you the best. If you can slowly switch to steel panels that would be a lot easier to adjust the design. About double the money but worth it in the long run.

This is a picture of my corral lay out. The black dots are 12-15" diameter posts 4 ft in ground. The chute is 30" wide and about 26 ft long. Gates and sides are made of treated 2 x 6 lumber. Head gate is a prifert automatic. Side gate for Bull working works good. Just have trouble getting him in the chute. Please note where I'm adding some more 2 x 6' in corner where chute begins. I have used this setup for over 3 years now with no problem except for this time. Bull would not load in chute. I believe when I get through adding the 2 x 7 boards it will work. Comments appreciated. Thanks
Here are some pics of my corral. I will be making some changes to it next week.

Attachments

• E1C2C5C5-7098-438C-87F3-A0F77813123A.jpeg
    E1C2C5C5-7098-438C-87F3-A0F77813123A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 4C6FA994-80C5-46DF-BC24-664C681A409C.jpeg
    4C6FA994-80C5-46DF-BC24-664C681A409C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 04C67E56-D5C8-4404-AE75-84106CC04281.jpeg
    04C67E56-D5C8-4404-AE75-84106CC04281.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 71906D86-511E-41AB-AD91-5217A096BC9A.jpeg
    71906D86-511E-41AB-AD91-5217A096BC9A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 758E705E-03CF-439D-8AB4-2235312DEC82.jpeg
    758E705E-03CF-439D-8AB4-2235312DEC82.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
The way I read the diagram the way he has it they are not going back the way they came in, they are continuing farther on from where they came. If it was changed to the way I drew the arrows they would be going back where they came from.
Yes, Kenny could check out Temple Grandin's designs. They're free online.

Screenshot_20231201_124541_Gallery.jpg

I'm not crazy about 3 gates in that pen. It gives animals 4 options out and more places for you to defend. I definitely agree with bring them in from the left and rolling the around and back out. The gate on bottom would be out for me because that's the fence they need to be brought down and it needs to be smooth as silk so they slide right in to that corner. A 45 on that bottom right corner would be nice also.

Yes, Kenny could check out Temple Grandin's designs. They're free online.
I have done that and even met with her. She has some great ideas.
She is where the idea of attaching a rope on the backstop and letting it down behind them. I knew some of my cows didn't like going under it.

Last edited:
Your yards look well built, as previously mentioned your gates seem to be the weak point and some improvement to the flow. I think though your real problem is that you want him down the alley by himself and you are too focussed on setting that front board up for him and you don't want anything else down there with him. I would forget the boards, jam him up with another cow with him, give him his shots, forget the nasal vaccine and get on with things he will be OK. Don't create a situation.

Ken

I like the alley to be solid. And tapered towards the bottom. And curved.
My chute alley:
View attachment 37684

Also, a 'prep cage' and 'palp cage' are a requirement:
View attachment 37685
Could you post a couple pics how the steel slider is fit into a wooden chute. That part is missing in our home setup. Can have only three cows at a time in the alley and sometimes they are all piled in the chute at the same time.

Could you post a couple pics how the steel slider is fit into a wooden chute. That part is missing in our home setup. Can have only three cows at a time in the alley and sometimes they are all piled in the chute at the same time.

IMG_2862.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpegIMG_2870.jpegIMG_2869.jpegIMG_2868.jpegIMG_2867.jpeg
Hope this covers it. I wouldn't want to go back to working without this gate. At preg testing it is the vets job to open the palp cage door to allow the next cow in, so having a single cow in that prep cage makes life simpler for all and speeds the process up without having to deal with the two in the chute at once and all the other possibilities that can happen without that slide gate.

Last edited:
View attachment 37787

View attachment 37788View attachment 37789View attachment 37790View attachment 37791View attachment 37792
Hope this covers it. I wouldn't want to go back to working without this gate. At preg testing it is the vets job to open the palp cage door to allow the next cow in, so having a single cow in that prep cage makes life simpler for all and speeds the process up without having to deal with the two in the chute at once and all the other possibilities that can happen without that slide gate.
I like that slide gate. I think I see 2 gates, I assume one to stop going forward and the other to keep from backing up?

I like that slide gate. I think I see 2 gates, I assume one to stop going forward and the other to keep from backing up?
The slide gate is for stopping the cow from backing up. In front of the cow is a palp cage with a door on each side. Either door can swing inwards across the alley and latch. So the vet would open the door to allow the cow into the squeeze, then swing the door back shut across the alley way to prevent the next cow from interfering with his preg testing operations.

Latest posts