Corral layout

Help Support CattleToday:

Soon, I am building a back stop gate now and hope to complete by the week end. I'm just going to give him Covexin 8 and a good pneumonia vaccine unless I find better than this. I'll be working him with about four ladies with him in the chute at he same time. All neefle work on him, no nasal vaccine, which brings up a question. If I have a 5 day calf a dose of once PMH IN, do I need to give him another in 3-5 weeks? If so could i use a shot. Same as bull is going to get instead of nasal vaccine? I guess I'm asking because they are different follow up.

Last edited:
Is the back stop gate one they have to go under? Do you think it is a good idea to change things in the alley way until you get him worked again? I think I would be leaving things as much the same as what he is used to at least until you get him through again.

Ken

Is the back stop gate one they have to go under? Do you think it is a good idea to change things in the alley way until you get him worked again? I think I would be leaving things as much the same as what he is used to at least until you get him through again.

Ken
I don't know what's best anymore. This morning I was over in the corral measuring lengths of boards needed to raise my corral to a full 6 feet in height. While a was measuring and writing down what I needed , when I got to the entrance to the chute, he was standing there looking thru the fence at what I was doing. I told him to get a good look because next time he is mine. I'm adding some 2 x 6's to the 90 degree corner to make it flow to the chute instead of having a
Turn around area. There are going to be a lot of changes when he comes back thru. One thing is he is going to have some of his ladies in the chute with him and as tight as I can them in comfortably. Hopefully next week I'll know more.

Last edited:
I don't know what's best anymore. This morning I was over in the corral measuring lengths of boards needed to raise my corral to a full 6 feet in height. While a was measuring and writing down what I needed , when I got to the entrance to the chute, he was standing there looking thru the fence at what I was doing. I told him to get a good look because next time he is mine. I'm adding some 2 x 6's to the 90 degree corner to make it flow to the chute instead of having a
Turn around area. There are going to be a lot of changes when he comes back thru. One thing is he is going to have some of his ladies in the chute with him and as tight as I can them in comfortably. Hopefully next week I'll know.
Yes on the going under the back stop gate but it won't be riding their back and when they go under it will drop in place manually from a rope that raises and drops.

Yes on the going under the back stop gate but it won't be riding their back and when they go under it will drop in place manually from a rope that raises and drops.
Yes, I think it will be better for the cows and the people working them. My cows I have run in the chute by myself and with the auto headgate catch one., vaccinate, give other shots and worm. Open Up and run next on thru with same procedure. Just this year did the bull balk on me. I forgot to mention that also once cows are in with him, they will be headed into a crowding pen at the chute entrance. Got to finish welding my stop gate up, then I'm working tomorrow and Friday on the corral , if the Lord is willing.

You done all the work for the bull but it will make things lots easier for everything in the future.
Here is a short video of how my back stop gate will work. Mine is made out of 1 inch steel pipe and is adjustable for cows and calves. The man working the gate will trigger it when the last in line goes in chute. The back stop gate is mounted in the beginning of the chute. I won't be dropping it on a cow because it's a bit heavy, if I pad the stop arm it should be ok but we will work it manually to start with. The pen guy now will never be in the pen with the cows but behind cow panels in on the walk way down beside the chute. The two cow panels will act as a crowding pen or tub with no way out but the chute. I hope to Finnish raising the coral sides tomorrow. If I can post it, see video of stop gate in action.
When is the re-try going to happen?
hopefully next week. It says videos is too large and want load. I'll make pics tomorrow. Sorry.

Soon, I am building a back stop gate now and hope to complete by the week end. I'm just going to give him Covexin 8 and a good pneumonia vaccine unless I find better than this. I'll be working him with about four ladies with him in the chute at he same time. All neefle work on him, no nasal vaccine, which brings up a question. If I have a 5 day calf a dose of once PMH IN, do I need to give him another in 3-5 weeks? If so could i use a shot. Same as bull is going to get instead of nasal vaccine? I guess I'm asking because they are different follow up.
I have finished the stop gate at the chute entrance, made a crowding pen and raise my heights to 6 ft. Trying now to take video. This is a trial video and if it works then the real video tomorrow.
Ok it won't let me video yet. Working on it.

Latest posts