Corral layout

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
This is a picture of my corral lay out. The black dots are 12-15" diameter posts 4 ft in ground. The chute is 30" wide and about 26 ft long. Gates and sides are made of treated 2 x 6 lumber. Head gate is a prifert automatic. Side gate for Bull working works good. Just have trouble getting him in the chute. Please note where I'm adding some more 2 x 6' in corner where chute begins. I have used this setup for over 3 years now with no problem except for this time. Bull would not load in chute. I believe when I get through adding the 2 x 7 boards it will work. Comments appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• E6B644AA-63A3-4C3B-B3EB-B5B5FA94D410.jpeg
    E6B644AA-63A3-4C3B-B3EB-B5B5FA94D410.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 93
Where are you standing when you're trying to run him in the chute? If you're in front of him, he may just plant his feet and not move. If you're by his side, closer to the rear but still in his line of vision, he should be easier to push. And take your time. Sometimes slower is faster. I have one bull that doesn't like to be pushed, so I simply open the gate to the trap and wait. He'll eventually go not just into the trap, but all the way through the alley & chute (and generally, the trailer).

Not sure if I'm seeing it right but I would think you need either a proper crowding tub or a bud box to get them up the chute. Also I would add that the space is too big heading into your crowding tub area. Should have a working alley maybe 14 feet wide leading up to crowding tub/ bud box. Just some ideas hope it makes sense. When designing a corral I think it should always be kept in mind if you have to run an animal through by yourself that it's user friendly.

Not sure if I'm seeing it right but I would think you need either a proper crowding tub or a bud box to get them up the chute. Also I would add that the space is too big heading into your crowding tub area. Should have a working alley maybe 14 feet wide leading up to crowding tub/ bud box. Just some ideas hope it makes sense. When designing a corral I think it should always be kept in mind if you have to run an animal through by yourself that it's user friendly.
I'm not sure I understand the crowding tub or Bud box?

Where are you standing when you're trying to run him in the chute? If you're in front of him, he may just plant his feet and not move. If you're by his side, closer to the rear but still in his line of vision, he should be easier to push. And take your time. Sometimes slower is faster. I have one bull that doesn't like to be pushed, so I simply open the gate to the trap and wait. He'll eventually go not just into the trap, but all the way through the alley & chute (and generally, the trailer).
Always to the side (left) near the rear of animal.

This is a picture of my corral lay out. The black dots are 12-15" diameter posts 4 ft in ground. The chute is 30" wide and about 26 ft long. Gates and sides are made of treated 2 x 6 lumber. Head gate is a prifert automatic. Side gate for Bull working works good. Just have trouble getting him in the chute. Please note where I'm adding some more 2 x 6' in corner where chute begins. I have used this setup for over 3 years now with no problem except for this time. Bull would not load in chute. I believe when I get through adding the 2 x 7 boards it will work. Comments appreciated. Thanks
I prefer to hang my gates so they swing into the work area, and yours are hinged on the wrong side as well. Particularly the one you have labeled entrance, if you hinged it on the opposite side you could close it between the head and shoulders of an animal and stop it from escaping. The exit looks like the gate needs to be moved toward a corner and not be in the middle of the fence, and then hinged as I describe to close against an escaping animal.

How far apart are posts? Using 2x6 , I would want the posts 4 feet apart and solid sides except for where bars go behind the cattle.

3 posts in (from the cow entrance) towards the people gate, I'd hang a gate on it that'll reach your push gate. Could chain them together to make a smaller crowding pen. Make a huge difference

I think it would load better if the cows came from the other way or the cute gets put on the other end of the alley.
View attachment 37651
One point i have noticed is once they see they are caught they want to go back out the way they came in. The way he is using it they try to go back out and it puts them down the chute.

One point i have noticed is once they see they are caught they want to go back out the way they came in. The way he is using it they try to go back out and it puts them down the chute.
The way I read the diagram the way he has it they are not going back the way they came in, they are continuing farther on from where they came. If it was changed to the way I drew the arrows they would be going back where they came from.

Latest posts