Corner Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Does anyone use railroad ties for corner posts or just for fencing in general? They are just real cheap in my area and was curious if they would work or not.

My husband has used ties for corner post. The last ones he put in was back in the early 1980's. They lasted till about 4 yrs ago and when they started breaking off.

Duck

seems to be quite a few people around here that use them for corner posts as well as corrals with guard rail attached to them. we put some in about 12 years ago and they are still holding good.

We use them. We first paint the bottom half of the tie with tar roofing compound thined with some used motor oil first even if the creasote is still good just for added protection.

I use them and love them! The one think we started doing about ten yrs ago was after putting the post in the ground we fill it back up with 2 inch rock. It keeps the water away from the wood and the post won't give an inch. I wouldn't do it anywhere you might have to pull the post somday. The post are tight in the ground.

I wouldn't use them unless they are in real good condition.Lots of them look pretty good but don't last once they are in the ground. When I put in a corner post I want it to last a long time.

Fred":3amrjh40 said:
I wouldn't use them unless they are in real good condition.Lots of them look pretty good but don't last once they are in the ground. When I put in a corner post I want it to last a long time.

I agree with Fred

Latest posts