Poorly treated fence posts. What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Not acceptable. Very coincidental because I am starting to see some poor quality treated posts.

Fence, no one out here uses pipe.

Chocolate Cow":820b6069 said:
I thought creosote was outlawed some years ago.

Creosote is a carcinogen and regulated substance. It must be used in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.

callmefence":3me04l2o said:
Bright Raven":3me04l2o said:
Not acceptable. Very coincidental because I am starting to see some poor quality treated posts.

I can't for the life of me understand why

Not readily available

Craig Miller":xv0rc4mb said:
callmefence":xv0rc4mb said:
Bright Raven":xv0rc4mb said:

Not readily available

I don't see them stocked anywhere I go.

Bright Raven":2py48tx7 said:

Yes we do. There is a good CCA post treater not far from you. It's where I was headed when I left your place when I visited.

callmefence":3ae3ua5x said:
Send em back where they came from and buy pipe

I'm workin on it. I've put about 5 semi loads in the ground, and this load in my yard is my only leverage. I'm about to square off with more than one post outfit. This chit is wearing me out.

I like t posts. My old rail posts are rotting so will use the telephone posts for fencing corners and such other wise t posts

i bought some barely treated posts once.. nice posts.. no treatment.. weighed nothing.

i took them all back, but i only had 2 bundles of them.

Craig Miller":ii8lnujv said:
callmefence":ii8lnujv said:
Bright Raven":ii8lnujv said:

Not readily available

The usual paradox..similar to the range cube thing Bigfoot sees.
Not available because people don't use them but people don't use them because they aren't available... :bang:
Kinda like the little feed store that has been here forever. They never have creep feed. "Well, we don't sell much of it so we don't keep any in stock"

You don't sell much of it because you never have any of it!!

I kinda understand pipe tho. Not a lot of surplus OCTG in most places so pipe didn't get established, and lots of folks on farms still don't weld (which I never have understood)

Pipe seems plentiful around here. I've got a corral with 2" pipe for post and 1" sucker rod welded to them. I've had a couple of guys tell me sucker rod can't be welded and stay together. I've never had a problem with it using 6010+ rod.

I've also got a place with 5 acres that the previous owner buried telephone poles (used I'm quite sure) for corner post. Then cut the tops off at a taper to shed water. They've deteriorated pretty bad and need replaced. From that experience I would not use used poles for post.

D2Cat":mc5yzvw8 said:
Pipe seems plentiful around here. I've got a corral with 2" pipe for post and 1" sucker rod welded to them. I've had a couple of guys tell me sucker rod can't be welded and stay together. I've never had a problem with it using 6010+ rod.

I've also got a place with 5 acres that the previous owner buried telephone poles (used I'm quite sure) for corner post. Then cut the tops off at a taper to shed water. They've deteriorated pretty bad and need replaced. From that experience I would not use used poles for post.
. Those old telephone post,the treatment seeps down over time... One reason why their replaced..

I have some good util pole posts you can come get if I e er sell this place. Might be hard to pull tho, they been in the ground holding up fence since '65.

GB, I consider welding the #1 most important non-farming skill a farmer needs to have, though perhaps that should be accounting! Anyhow, it's right up there because it's a universal need on all farms

I heard you need to wrap your ground wire around the pipe a couple times and weld on AC to help with the magnetism... I'd like to get a 1500 ft of ~3" and some smaller stuff as well

Welding in the woods and pastures would scare me. Burning the woods down around here would be bad. A spark and some grass and the rest is history. I don't think a person could carry enough liability insurance.

Nesikep":11ty8hds said:
GB, I consider welding the #1 most important non-farming skill a farmer needs to have, though perhaps that should be accounting! Anyhow, it's right up there because it's a universal need on all farms

I heard you need to wrap your ground wire around the pipe a couple times and weld on AC to help with the magnetism... I'd like to get a 1500 ft of ~3" and some smaller stuff as well

You got the accounting correct. The county Extension Agent has been promoting better accounting and offering training sessions supported by the Ag department so cattle farmers are properly assessing whether they are actually making a profit.

Welding is a handy skill. And I might add, a torch is just as handy if not more. I have both and a couple of my neighbors visit me when they have needs. I enjoy getting the extra use out of my investment. BTW: it is not that expensive to get set up with an arc welder and torch.

Latest posts