Corn-Whole Vs Cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

Use cracked or rolled. Cattle don't get the nutrients from corn very well unless it is at least cracked. The seed coat is to thick and you'll find it in the stool behind them.

Cracked corn is best if you mix it with protein, mineral, vitimins.

Cracked corn is only slightly more digestable then whole corn. Probably not worth the cost and labor. Dry whole corn is about 90% digestable. And whole seed in the manure has had the nutrients digested out of it. So tests and studies say. :eek: :)

mnmt

The reason you notice whole corn in the manure more then cracked and cracked more then ground is because of particle size. The same amount is there, just not as easily detected.

dun

i get a laugh out of a friend of mine you will not feed whole corn because of it coming thru them whole and then germinating. i laugh and ask him, well what about the bahia seed or the bermuda seed.. it does the same thing, you just cant see it.

jt

Just read an article this morning from the 'Beef Cattle Handbook" out of the Iowa Beef Center. If your finishing a steer on corn then whole corn has the least potential as a contributing factor to acidosis. It has to do with how fast the rumen microbes can breakdown the feed. If they break it down to fast the sudden starch increase changes the rumen PH to fast which can result in effects that range from a temporary reduction in feed intake to scours, dehydration and so on.

Hence, the best feed choice depends on the specifics of the application.

Here's a link to the article
http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/pdfs/bch/ ... 0cattle%22

dcara":20wl4yce said:
Just read an article this morning from the 'Beef Cattle Handbook" out of the Iowa Beef Center. If your finishing a steer on corn then whole corn has the least potential as a contributing factor to acidosis. It has to do with how fast the rumen microbes can breakdown the feed. If they break it down to fast the sudden starch increase changes the rumen PH to fast which can result in effects that range from a temporary reduction in feed intake to scours, dehydration and so on.

Hence, the best feed choice depends on the specifics of the application.

Here's a link to the article
http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/pdfs/bch/ ... 0cattle%22

Interesting.

Read an article not to long ago, wish I could find it, but I couldn't but it basically said the Nutritional value differences were so little that cost and labor should probably be the biggest deciding factor in the choice.

If you had the equipment to crack it yourself and the time then do so. But if cost to buy cracked was much more, you might want to pass on it.

We get cracked for a penny more per pound so that's what we
feed.
Read a paper awhile back out of U-Iowa or such authority. Basically said that the cow needs to chew the kernal to break the shell to get the nutrients out and that normal marticulation accomplishes this...our cowd didn't read the article and were lapping the whole corn like alfalfa leaves. We went to cracked the next load of corn.
Lost of posts in the past on the subject.
DMc

I have been feeding snapped corn this year. I snap it with an old one-row snapper and I get shuck cob and all. I also get a lot of other fodder. To get bulls ready to sale or put fat on them I feed 80% ground snapped corn and 20% soybean meal. This is the best feed I have used but it is hard to get unless you grow it your self.

Susie David":2orlfb6b said:
We get cracked for a penny more per pound so that's what we
feed.
Read a paper awhile back out of U-Iowa or such authority. Basically said that the cow needs to chew the kernal to break the shell to get the nutrients out and that normal marticulation accomplishes this...our cowd didn't read the article and were lapping the whole corn like alfalfa leaves. We went to cracked the next load of corn.
Lost of posts in the past on the subject.
DMc
That seems really expensive to me are you sure you pay a penny per pound? If so do you think you are getting 25 % better feed conversion out of your cracked corn? I've fed lots and lots of corn thru the feedlot and I have never seen that big of a difference between the 2 methods. In fact it has gone both ways better and worse. 25% is hard to believe maybe it is different with cows. However I can't see how it would be they all have the same digestion process.

Susie David":1vgdwjhf said:
Read a paper awhile back out of U-Iowa or such authority. Basically said that the cow needs to chew the kernal to break the shell to get the nutrients out and that normal marticulation accomplishes this...our cowd didn't read the article and were lapping the whole corn like alfalfa leaves.

Cows wolf (not brand chili) down everything, that's why they have a multi stomached digestive system. When they chew their cud they'll grind them to a degree.

dun

I feed cracked - buy it whole and mill it just before feeding.

I have little doubt it is easier to get more in them this way, but you have to use caution and work up the ration.

The number for conversion I recall is about 6% better utilization with cracked. I guess it depends on your tonnage whether it is worth it.

If you ever feed ground on a set, then put put whole in front of them, they may give you a disapproving look!

And as mentioned by others I find it mixes easier with other feeds.

( It keeps in the bin better whole though ).

Latest posts