Corn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":neokc4jr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":neokc4jr said:
skyhightree1":neokc4jr said:
Sore subject... No rain here... at all.. I have lost almost 200acs of corn and thought about using a sileage blower and cutting it and putting in a pit or selling it .

Weren't you guys absolutely soaked to the bone this time last year Sky? What a difference a year can make huh?

Yes sir and corn yield was great and I bet the corn was 9' tall in some places it was crazy. The past 2 years we were soaked. It appears to cycle 2 wet years and 1 dry one.

Seems like I remember you predicting something like this would happen this year didn't you?

TennesseeTuxedo":ocz5nph2 said:
Seems like I remember you predicting something like this would happen this year didn't you?

Double T yes sir I sure did :tiphat: My grandmother and wife said you said this was going to be a dry year and you were right.

skyhightree1":1nhbozsg said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1nhbozsg said:

Double T yes sir I sure did :tiphat: My grandmother and wife said you said this was going to be a dry year and you were right.

I wish it weren't so dry. Really stinks.

TennesseeTuxedo":1yzyjtgi said:
skyhightree1":1yzyjtgi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1yzyjtgi said:

I wish it weren't so dry. Really stinks.

I do as well but gotta have some bad so you appreciate the good times even more. :D There is always next year as long as I am alive and well.

I am soon to be 66 years old and have lived in Virginia most of my life....
We have for as long as I can remember had a bad corn year at least one in every three years and I can recall times when we had two or three bad years in a row....
One of the cattle operations I used to work for we finally got smart and switched to forage sorghum and mixtures of grain sorghum and soybeans as our silage....the only down side of forage sorghum is that one year the wind got to it and it was a bear to harvest....so we bought one of the first disc mowers and mowed it and chopped it with the pickup head....
I am here to tell you that the grain sorghum and soybean was the best feed I have ever fed a beef cow....I had fall calving cows that I was breeding in December rolly polly fat and cycling like heifers....and the calves were booming and blooming.

Commodity traders are selling grain and buying metals. I must not be any good since I am all in buying beef!

It has been too wet in our area, to the point you can not cut hay, much less get it to dry. A couple four to six inch rains make a lot of mud. I think local forage feed will be high even if grain is cheap.

Your getting what we had last year. I almost thought we were going to repeat here again this year. Makes for tough times.

Latest posts