Corn Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Minnesota new crop corn 3.98 - 4.20 [depending on location]
We've had such a cold wet spring followed by too much rain that In my area there are a lot of acres
that have not been planted, many local farmers are opting for prevented planting crop insurance payments.
I realize a small part of 1 state's corn crop doesn't amount to a hill of beans in nation wide production.
But the view from here is corn futures will be rising when reporting starts.
How's the corn crop looking in your neck of the woods?

early corn here should be near head high by now and ready to tassle.....

this year it is barely knee high and cool temperatures are still preventing growth....

lots of flooded areas in fields needed replanting and that corn is generally less than six inches tall now....

what happens from here on out will be determined by wether or not we have summer rains....some years we do and some years we don't

Son of Butch":10h37l4d said:
pdfangus":10h37l4d said:
early corn here should be near head high by now and ready to tassle....

WHAT???
Don't you mean shoulder high by the 4th of July?
Does Virginia's crop really come in that much earlier than ours?
Our crop is like yours...not a drop in the bucket compared to the midwest but it's already hot small ears on it. Probably only needs on more good rain to make a crop.

Corn has actually gone down from what it was a month ago. Bought some in April for 4.96, and now I can get it for 4.50. Lots of corn being planted, and there has been a very high % of emerged corn, with a few rains falling that's keeping it all watered. But if it gets hot, and the rain quits at tasseling, then you can expect the price to go up. A wet spring with a late planting won't make the price go up as much as a dry, hot summer will.

$4.53 on CME right now. No idea what the basis is or what delivery would be. Heard one grainery down this way was contracting at around $5.40 delivered to his tanks.

There was a large storm heading towards the corn belt that was leaving quite a bit a hail. It be interesting if will see a price change if the storm made it all the way there.

I think corn is going to stay right around where it is now. There's plenty of corn being planted and plenty in reserve. Everyone can make money where the price of corn is now. Myself I wouldn't mind seeing $2.50 corn again, but $4-$5 dollar corn is good for everyone.

cash corn is $3.61 at the local elevator.

Lack of railroad moving grain and ethanol out of this area has taken us back to our traditional wide basis. Its $.95 now and has been as high as $1.05 in the past month.

Corn acres are way way down in this area vs last year as a result. Lots and lots of soybeans.

smnherf":6e2or6ah said:
cash corn is $3.61 at the local elevator.
Lack of railroad moving grain and ethanol out of this area has taken us back to our traditional wide basis. Its $.95 now and has been as high as $1.05 in the past month.
Corn acres are way way down in this area vs last year as a result. Lots and lots of soybeans.

Where in SD?
Sounds like a time to feed corn.

Nation wide corn crop looks good. Was at a couple events over the past weeks and heard a lot of "best ever" very few people in large production areas that have any concern at the moment. My personal bias is that we have hit the dead cat bounce at the moment on the cbot but don't expect it to get anywhere close to $5.00 again. If the new crop continues to look good and we start getting some heat units over the next month you could easily see a 3 in front of the board by mid winter.

Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois basis levels continue to be strong due to interior ethanol demand while the northern states that have a large crop that has quality problems will continue to have a wide basis most likely through new crop. Grain movement has been challenging at every level do to poor railroad performance.

Jake":363hw5js said:
Nation wide corn crop looks good. Was at a couple events over the past weeks and heard a lot of "best ever" very few people in large production areas that have any concern at the moment. My personal bias is that we have hit the dead cat bounce at the moment on the cbot but don't expect it to get anywhere close to $5.00 again.

The Talking Heads were trying to get grain producers to sell some of their 2015 and 2016 crops this spring. Probably a good move that almost no one made.

A neighbor does real estate on the side. He is crying that the local land market is "dead". I can't imagine that $3.xx corn will help that. So, what is a good beef producer supposed to do? I am thinking about stocking up on more poly wire for a start. :cowboy: Then I will be ready to send lots of photos to Aaron of black cows hogging down wet corn. :banana:

Cash corn local here today. $2.98. NC $2.95

Ethanol plants are going full bore and making money hand over fist. If this keeps up and the railroads cant haul grain out of this country, the ethanol plants are going to retool and expand if this keeps up.

Looks like a large amount of the corn in this area is being cut for silage. Seems I've seen a thousand trucks rolling through town the last two weeks headed to the dairies.

guys east of here in pure grain coastal Va where there is not much livestock are talking about just bush hoggin corn as it has been so dry that there is no yield anyway....

At my house last night we had a rollicking storm with plenty of wind and lightening and 1.3 inches of rain...don't know how widespread it was but I sure am thankful for what we got....I was stuck in the stable and the lightening was popping all around....the horses were spooked enough that I had to get out of the stalls....lightening was why I stayed in the stable....it was hitting close but no damage observed at home so far.....

Sore subject... No rain here... at all.. I have lost almost 200acs of corn and thought about using a sileage blower and cutting it and putting in a pit or selling it .

skyhightree1":2qg96l7l said:
Sore subject... No rain here... at all.. I have lost almost 200acs of corn and thought about using a sileage blower and cutting it and putting in a pit or selling it .
You could do that if it still has enough moisture in it. If it's already dried about all you can do is graze it or bale it and supplement it.

skyhightree1":1gwmjp60 said:

Weren't you guys absolutely soaked to the bone this time last year Sky? What a difference a year can make huh?

TennesseeTuxedo":1kwy2ge3 said:
skyhightree1":1kwy2ge3 said:

Weren't you guys absolutely soaked to the bone this time last year Sky? What a difference a year can make huh?

Yes sir and corn yield was great and I bet the corn was 9' tall in some places it was crazy. The past 2 years we were soaked. It appears to cycle 2 wet years and 1 dry one.

Latest posts