Corn prices around the country?

Help Support CattleToday:

jasonleonard

Reaction score
Shelled corn at our local feedmill has finally came down to $6 a bushel(bulk). I think we were up to $9 or so, last year at this time.
I was curious what corn is running a bushel now in other areas. Starting to see some beans get harvested here now, but not any corn for grain yet.

You can sell it all day long for $4.15 around here, but if you dare buy any they charge $6.50 for #3 corn.

Stocker Steve":2rpm25r0 said:
Are folks trying to pass on a loss in inventory value?
The folks still charging $6 are doing so because they can, and because someone is willing to pay it. This would not be the first time someone charged well above market value. ;-) As far as a loss on inventory there would not have been a loss. Everyone assumes a position now days. The feedmill may have lost cash but made it back on paper.

$4.07 a bushel, but mills are$5.50+ yet selling. The market was $.80 over chicago here a month ago, mills were running out of corn and no one was selling, so they raised the basis to "get" corn to buy, now its right back or below chicago.

Price of corn is like any other market...what the elevator can get it for and what he can sell it for. Chicago Mercantile is a guide. Corn in this area was cut 2 months ago so folks got what the market was at that time. Those that stored on the farm will get whatever they can sell it for whenever they "have" to sell.

Southern Tx panhandle corn is currently selling mostly for cme dec+$.70 basis. Noticed 1 is paying +.80. Got $5.14 for some on Wednesday.

Below is from Friday the 11th

CASH GRAIN BIDS
Zip Code:
Friona Grain - Dimmitt, TX
Commodity Price Basis Date
Corn $5.03 0.7 2013-10-11
Sorghum $4.48 0.15 2013-10-11
Cargill - Hart, TX
Corn $4.98 0.65 2013-10-11
Sorghum $4.23 -0.1 2013-10-11
AGP - Lazbuddie, TX
Wheat (HRW) $7.20 -0.4 2013-10-11
Friona Wheat Growers - Friona, TX
JD Heiskell - Friona, TX
Corn $5.13 0.8 2013-10-11
Sorghum $4.33 0 2013-10-11

That price is what the elevator is paying the farmer. Probably $.50 higher delivered to feedyard/dairy. Lots more corn consumed in the panhandle than grown there. Local panhandle price is actually midwest price plus freight as the majority is railed in from the midwest.

mncowboy":1or5o77k said:
Why not just buy from the local producer instead of going to the mill?

It's really a pain in the a$$ for a producer to have to bother with "we" small users. It might be worth his while to sell you several truckloads at a time but filling up a pickup isn't worth his time AND he knows what the market is so I"m sure he will charge you full "retail" for it.

I cant imagine he cares much for selling the mill his corn for $4 only to have them turn around and resell it for 6 or 8. I bet they'd atleast meet you in the middle.

mncowboy":2z2y6hoe said:
I cant imagine he cares much for selling the mill his corn for $4 only to have them turn around and resell it for 6 or 8. I bet they'd atleast meet you in the middle.
Don't count on it. No need to give it away when you know what the market is.

Latest posts