copper deficiancy

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1b8egxuc said:
All those various minerals probably work well for your area. No one mineral fits every area. If the list of ingredeints says Ferrous Sulfate or Ferrous Carbonate you can bet it has quite a bit of iron in it even tho there is no guarantee. Your organic minerals will be shown as amino acid complexes or chelates depending on the source. Nova made a good point about having your water source tested. This can and has been problems in some areas.

Exactly, these were formulated for the needs of TN Cattle. May or may not work in your area.

Mine was formulated for my area in Virginia by VA Tech by taking soil samples, forage samples, and blood samples from the cows. I still am not happy. Last I bought (last weekend) had Tasco added. Any thoughts on Tasco?

kenny thomas":2jdv52so said:
Mine was formulated for my area in Virginia by VA Tech by taking soil samples, forage samples, and blood samples from the cows. I still am not happy. Last I bought (last weekend) had Tasco added. Any thoughts on Tasco?

Tasco is nothing more than kelp meal marketed with a little fancier name and much more expensive than it's less publicised "twin".

TexasBred":3d10v05c said:
kenny thomas":3d10v05c said:

Tasco is nothing more than kelp meal marketed with a little fancier name and much more expensive than it's less publicised "twin".

Forgive my ignorance but what is its twin exactly?

kenny thomas":346by37c said:

Mine was formulated by UT along those same lines. I like the minerals they make my cows have good conception rates. I feel that is what it is anyways as all i do is vaccinate em every fall and spring and feed em hay in the winter for the cows and that is it.

kenny thomas":oqdbb6vz said:
But no water sampling? Far too often water is overlooked when balancing for minerals. If you have high levels of certain minerals in your water it doesn't matter how good your mineral is you will have problems until you compensate for the minerals being tied up.

novaman":30fy7diu said:
kenny thomas":30fy7diu said:
But no water sampling? Far too often water is overlooked when balancing for minerals. If you have high levels of certain minerals in your water it doesn't matter how good your mineral is you will have problems until you compensate for the minerals being tied up.

Good point. Alot of people wouldnt think of that.

Suggestion: Just buy one tub of Mineralyx from Crystalyx and give it a try. jmho.

It is in a molasses bases so they consume what might otherwise be unpaletable minerals etc.

Jim

SRBeef":126q6a1y said:
Suggestion: Just buy one tub of Mineralyx from Crystalyx and give it a try. jmho.

It is in a molasses bases so they consume what might otherwise be unpaletable minerals etc.

Jim

Not enough copper in the ones here. They have 300ppm LOL! You feed that long enough and your conception rates will falter.

SRBeef, I used Fescuelyx from Crystalyx for 2 years and loved it. I can't get anyone to get it now. They don't even list it on their website. I think it was developed by UT for use in east TN and southwest VA.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3gk44qwy said:
SRBeef":3gk44qwy said:

Jim

Not enough copper in the ones here. They have 300ppm LOL! You feed that long enough and your conception rates will falter.

In the data sheet for Mineralyx shown here: http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Mineral-lyx.pdf

It shows 500 ppm as a minimum. The copper comes from copper sulfate and copper chloride. I have had no problem with conception rates nor to my knowledge has my neighbor who has used Mineralyx for a long time and recommended it to me. Note I think it was Knersie's comment above that too much copper can be toxic so there is a fine line there on copper. I would be careful feeding anything that has 5+ times that as you describe...

Mineralyx seems to have a good balance of many trace elements and palatable formula.

Jim

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2b59f421 said:
TexasBred":2b59f421 said:
kenny thomas":2b59f421 said:

Forgive my ignorance but what is its twin exactly?

The twin is the same product simply bagged and sold under the name of "Acadian Kelp Meal" at a quarter the price.

We experienced a severe copper deficiency on a new place we started running. It was a secondary deficiency caused by excessive molybdenum. We could not catch them up with a general, over the counter range mineral. We ultimately wound up giving them all a copper bolus (Coppersure) and thereafter kept them on a custom, chelated mineral high in copper and balanced with zinc. The chelated variety was essential in our case.

The operator who ran the place before us had terrible conception rates and never understood why. We were able to nip it in the bud and have been going along just fine (except for the expensive mineral bill). Before the coats turned that reddish hue around the neck, back, and shoulders, we first started noticing a dull coat and unthrifty appearance. Their eyes had a dull look as well.

Copper is stored in the liver. The only way to test is a liver biopsy.

Good luck.

The percentage or ppm of the nutrient is only 1 part of the equation. You must also know how much of the mineral or supplement cattle are eating. If a mineral has a 52 ppm of selenium then you should expect 2 oz consumption on that mineral. Most minerals are 26 ppm which allows 4 oz intake. The FDA regulates the selenium level. Usually in a 4 oz mineral 1500 ppm of copper will be sufficient provided it is coming from an available source such as copper sulfate. In a 1 oz mineral the copper level would have to be 3000 ppm to provide the same amount of copper to the animal. High iron and sulfur levels can inhibit copper absorption. These recommendations will usually suffice in the southeast. Other regions may have other guidelines.

Latest posts