Tennessee Pastures Low in Copper and Magnesium

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was reading a report from UT where they did a forage nutrient study. They ran it on the fescue since it is the #1 grass in Tennessee. I would like to have seen one on the clover, orchard grass and bermuda. It came back showing that it was copper deficient with a sulfar excess. Sulfar makes copper unavailable to cattle in their diet.
It also showed that the state was magnesium deficient with a potassium excess. Potassium makes magnesium unavilable to cattle in thier diet.
Here are some signs of copper def. and sulfar excess:
Rough hair coat
Poor growth
Reproductive failure
Decreased immune function

The signs of Magnesium def is grass tetany.

I did not know that Tennessee was considered deficient in these areas. I thought some of the others here would like to know also.

I'm less than a hundred miles for the Tennessee line. My ground is high in magnesium. I also have a well that the water in it is high in magnesium. I have several ponds on the place but before the pastures green up I water them out of this well.

Bama, I am in Gibson County. It is a few miles from where you are. It showed all of Tn marginally low and really low. Sounds like I need to get a bucket and a shovel and head your way.

I'm in western Lawrence county. When I get my soil samples the magnesium is always off the chart.

Chuckie":10jhw7pl said:
I was reading a report from UT where they did a forage nutrient study. They ran it on the fescue since it is the #1 grass in Tennessee. I would like to have seen one on the clover, orchard grass and bermuda. It came back showing that it was copper deficient with a sulfar excess. Sulfar makes copper unavailable to cattle in their diet.
It also showed that the state was magnesium deficient with a potassium excess. Potassium makes magnesium unavilable to cattle in thier diet.
Here are some signs of copper def. and sulfar excess:
Rough hair coat
Poor growth
Reproductive failure
Decreased immune function

The signs of Magnesium def is grass tetany.

I did not know that Tennessee was considered deficient in these areas. I thought some of the others here would like to know also.

That's why a sound Mineral Program is essential. Middle TN. is extremely Copper difficient. This is the number one reason we keep High quality, Hi-Mag out year round.Keeping these minerals out all the time free choice is not cheap, but pays off in breed back time and overall Cattle Health. You can generally see the difficiency in cattle that instead of being Red, for instance, will have a copper or burnt looking hide. Or in Black cattle, they'll have a redish tint to their coats.

Chuckie":19ydr7co said:
Crowder Farms, I thought I might post that report in case someone questioned Tennessee's status in minerals. It is good to know.

Good post Chuckie, lot's of folks here dont know how defficient we are with some minerals. Nice work!

I talked with the fertilizer man from Helena, and he told me that the reason the sulfar level had risen in Tennessee was from the sulfar given off from the diesel motors. He said that since the study had been done, that sulfar has probably dropped. He said they changed the sulfar level in diesel because of this reason.

Chuckie":1wf1l53t said:
I talked with the fertilizer man from Helena, and he told me that the reason the sulfar level had risen in Tennessee was from the sulfar given off from the diesel motors. He said that since the study had been done, that sulfar has probably dropped. He said they changed the sulfar level in diesel because of this reason.
Actually it is the high sulfur coal burning - scrubbers are not working- even though they spent $$$$$$$ - it is bad from 50 miles out of any coal burning power plant. Same in Kentucky.

Latest posts