Coons

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":3nfc96v2 said:
If they are not posing a threat or tearing anything up why bother with them?
They carry disease which can be given to the cattle. They are dirty nasty critters.

certherfbeef":11rl2vik said:
HOSS":11rl2vik said:
If they are not posing a threat or tearing anything up why bother with them?
They carry disease which can be given to the cattle. They are dirty nasty critters.

Not to mention they will also tear away your shed, gnaw on wood, chew tool handles and decide that their place is not yours. They are not as bad as a nest of squirrels, but they can run a close second.

HOSS":30e9ya1c said:
If they are not posing a threat or tearing anything up why bother with them?.

I had some in my shed a few years back and they crapped everywhere...in my opinion...that was a good enough reason for me to "bother" with them :)

mitchwi,

If you have access to any live chickens. If it were me. I would build a small cage about say a 2' x 2' x 1'. Build it out of rabbit or chicken wire. Put the chicken in it as bait. Steak it down where the coons are going in and out of the barn. Get you some # 3 double spring steel traps. One will be a plenty. Make it to where the coons have only one way to get to the cage so that the coon has to step in the trap to get to the cage. Set the trigger where it is hair triggered on the trap so that the least little pressure the coon puts on it will make it snap shut. Now you will have to dig a little hole so that the trap will sit level with the grounds surface and put a peace of papper towel of something to cover the trap and shift a little dirt to hide the trap. But be sure you dont get the dirt under the trigger so that it will work right.

And go check it a couple hours after dark. And take a shot gun with you. Chances are you will have one coon in the trap and when the others hear you coming they will climb up the nearest tree. Use a flash light and shine up in the trees and you might get lucky enough to kill a couple of them while they are up in the tree.

Be sure to fix your cage where they can not crawl arround on it. Or they will be able to reach in and kill your bait. They are really good and reaching through wire and grabbing ahold of what ever they are fishing for. And to they will probably just tear a hole through chicken wire. So you might want to use rabbit wire.

Good luck

Stepper":9hesh8aq said:
mitchwi,

If you have access to any live chickens. If it were me. I would build a small cage about say a 2' x 2' x 1'. Build it out of rabbit or chicken wire. Put the chicken in it as bait. Steak it down where the coons are going in and out of the barn. Get you some # 3 double spring steel traps. One will be a plenty. Make it to where the coons have only one way to get to the cage so that the coon has to step in the trap to get to the cage. Set the trigger where it is hair triggered on the trap so that the least little pressure the coon puts on it will make it snap shut. Now you will have to dig a little hole so that the trap will sit level with the grounds surface and put a peace of papper towel of something to cover the trap and shift a little dirt to hide the trap. But be sure you dont get the dirt under the trigger so that it will work right.

And go check it a couple hours after dark. And take a shot gun with you. Chances are you will have one coon in the trap and when the others hear you coming they will climb up the nearest tree. Use a flash light and shine up in the trees and you might get lucky enough to kill a couple of them while they are up in the tree.

Be sure to fix your cage where they can not crawl arround on it. Or they will be able to reach in and kill your bait. They are really good and reaching through wire and grabbing ahold of what ever they are fishing for. And to they will probably just tear a hole through chicken wire. So you might want to use rabbit wire.

Good luck

Coons would prefer peanut butter over chicken. Peanut butter is much less trouble, no cages to build. But, if you are going to use a steel trap, house cat urine is the absolute best thing there is. Don't use too much. Put it behind your trap and every critter in the area will walk up for a sniff. It is kind of like dogs and your truck tires. The coons can't resist and cats normally dig a hole, so the strange scent really provokes a coons curiosity.

are coons not afraid of owls and hawks and stuff? maybe just the baby ones are.

This is going to sound crazy, but I'm told it worked with a family of squirrels living in a friends attic.

Take cotton balls or some absorbent material and soak in Fox Urine (which can be purchased at sporting good stores or hardware stores). Place in the area the coons are nesting. They should leave on their own.

Use gloves, don't get it on you and don't get a whiff of it. If you've ever been around it, you'll know why. It STINKS to high heaven.

have you tried spraying them with a waterhose. dont know what'd they do but it sounds like great fun.

MikeC":keaij1rj said:
Trap them and sell them to coon-dog trainers. They pay $20 bucks for them down here.

Those live traps aren't that expensive and work wonderful on skunks, cats, rabbits, etc.

If you shoot a boar you can make yourself a toothpick from the penis. :lol: :lol:
Never offer me a toothpick, Mike. 8)

A6gal":3um8zdqe said:
This is going to sound crazy, but I'm told it worked with a family of squirrels living in a friends attic.

Take cotton balls or some absorbent material and soak in Fox Urine (which can be purchased at sporting good stores or hardware stores). Place in the area the coons are nesting. They should leave on their own.

Use gloves, don't get it on you and don't get a whiff of it. If you've ever been around it, you'll know why. It STINKS to high heaven.

ALWAYS take care with fox urine. You can get dog bit by dogs that have never bitten anyone, if you have fox urine on you. Seriously. The scent drives dogs nuts.

Cheap sardines (Walmart 50 cents a tin) work as raccoon bait too, but if you don't put the bait in the center of the trap, they can grab it from outside. Had one trapped coon pull one of those blue tarps through a zillion of the spaces of the trap, what a mess.