Coons

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
I now have a family (3 or 4) coons living in the overhang of our pole shed. Any and all ideas on how to eradicate these pests will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks! Michele

good ol' cattle today. the solution to every problem is to either shoot it or sell it. or both when feasible. lol.

Beefy":1c6dg4ks said:
good ol' cattle today. the solution to every problem is to either shoot it or sell it. or both when feasible. lol.

Thats right ,shoot them and then sell the hides. :lol:

Just use hollow points so you are not fixing the holes in the roof later.

Trap them and sell them to coon-dog trainers. They pay $20 bucks for them down here.

Those live traps aren't that expensive and work wonderful on skunks, cats, rabbits, etc.

If you shoot a boar you can make yourself a toothpick from the penis. :lol: :lol:

You guys crack me up! Shooting is 1st on my list just as soon as I figure out how to get them out of the shed before I unload on them! As soon as they catch wind of ANYONE, they are up a pole into the overhang and looking down at you like "naa na naa na naa nah!" And they tend to hiss like a cat when you peg 'em good with a rock! It has become one of the kids favorite pasttimes -- peg the coon on the noggin -- and win a prize (hopefully a dead coon)!

So, to clarify, how to get them out of the shed 1st before they get lead poisoning????

Thanks! Michele

Oldtimer":h77zw5b1 said:
MikeC":h77zw5b1 said:
If you shoot a boar you can make yourself a toothpick from the penis. :lol: :lol:

Great gift for the man that has everything ;-) :lol:

Or.............the girl who has everything! :lol:

Where is there food source? Obviously close if they are staying in the barn. Eradicate the food source and they will leave.

just get close to them...they'll jump out and try to run...one of my dogs ran a coon up a tree a few weeks ago...when I went over to the tree to look at it...it jumped about 30 feet down to the ground and tried to run off

El_Putzo":2hh7b9da said:
Where is there food source? Obviously close if they are staying in the barn. Eradicate the food source and they will leave.

Steer stuffers... all you can eat buffet.

mitchwi":2oi5ivkb said:
It has become one of the kids favorite pasttimes -- peg the coon on the noggin -- and win a prize (hopefully a dead coon)!

They can get mean if you corner them and torment them. Make sure the kids know to be very careful.

I've stabbed a few with a pitch fork. They scream like kids when you hurt them. Horrible sound!!
That is when I found that the hollow points don't put holes in the tin roof.

Sit on the porch and have target pratice with them before they see you and hide. Use the element of suprise with a hair trigger. It is funner that way anyhow.

milesvb":3i7h7ljk said:
MikeC":3i7h7ljk said:
Those live traps aren't that expensive and work wonderful on skunks.

I can attest to the fact that live traps do NOT work wonderful for skunks. However, live traps will catch skunks.

Milevb, sounds like there is more to the story. Would like to share it here?

milesvb":3435q69p said:
MikeC":3435q69p said:

I can attest to the fact that live traps do NOT work wonderful for skunks. However, live traps will catch skunks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

milesvb":3tcy750n said:
MikeC":3tcy750n said:

You must not have thrown a sheet over the trap before you moved it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If they are not posing a threat or tearing anything up why bother with them? I have some on my place and I enjoy watching their antics. I am not against killing anything that needs it or if it's edible however. :)

Mine seem to like to eat the crushed corn that my cattle drop on the ground from their bad table manners. Keeps the ground clean anyway.