COOL passed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
I read tonight that a bill passed saying all beef labled Product of USA had to be born and raised in the USA. Did I read this right? The article said Mexico was very upset and worried about this.

I tried to link the article but couldn't. Says the law goes into effect January 1st 2026. I'm really happy this finally passed and think it will somewhat help the cattle raisers. I'd guess the majority of beef bought in a grocery store is a product of the US Anyway though.

By Leah Douglas
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The administration of U.S. President Joe Biden on Monday finalized a rule requiring meat, poultry, or eggs labeled as a U.S. product to come from animals born, raised, slaughtered, and processed in the country.
The rule, proposed last March, is a victory for U.S. ranchers who argued for years that use of the voluntary label by companies who raised animals abroad and only slaughtered or processed them in the U.S. was misleading and disadvantaged domestic producers.
"This final rule will ensure that when consumers see 'Product of USA' they can trust the authenticity of that label and know that every step involved, from birth to processing, was done here in America," said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack in a statement.
Vilsack announced the final rule to cheers at the annual meeting of the National Farmers Union in Scottsdale, Arizona.
"The abuse of the 'Product of U.S.A.' label stripped America's cattle producers of a vital opportunity to market their USA beef while denying consumers the opportunity to support them," said Joe Maxwell, co-founder of the farm group Farm Action, in a statement.
Producers using "Product of USA" or "Made in the USDA" labels will need to comply with the rule by Jan. 1, 2026.
The USDA also announced $9.5 million in grants for 42 projects expanding small-scale local meat processing capacity.
The labeling rule and the processing funds are part of a broader suite of USDA actions to enhance competition in the meat industry.
Mexico, a key U.S. trading partner, expressed "disappointment and worry" after the rule announcement.
"This measure does not consider the nature of the deep integration of the North American livestock and meat sectors," Mexico's agriculture ministry said, adding Mexico exported $3 billion of beef, live cattle and derivatives to the U.S. in 2023.

Meat labeling has been a point of contention between the U.S. and Mexico in the past.
In 2012, the World Trade Organization sided with Mexico and Canada when it ruled that U.S. meat labeling regulations were not fully in line with international fair trading rules and unfairly discriminated against Canada and Mexico because they gave less favorable treatment to beef and pork imported from those countries than to U.S.
Mexico on Monday said the Biden administration's decision could create incentives for incompliance with the WTO's ruling.
(Reporting by Leah Douglas; Additional reporting by Brendan O'Boyle and Adriana Barrera in Mexico City; Editing by Marguerita Choy and Michael Perry)

As I recall, NCBA was actually in support of this rule. It is not mandatory labeling, but if it is labeled "Product of the USA" it has to be born, raised and processed here.

Don't worry, the government will find a way to rescind it! They put out grants in early covid time to open or expand local slaughter facilities. This year they are proposing to bump up requirements on slaughter facilities to likely shutter more.

As I recall, NCBA was actually in support of this rule. It is not mandatory labeling, but if it is labeled "Product of the USA" it has to be born, raised and processed here.
I'll play devils advocate;
Prove it. We just had a thread not long ago that people were apposed to E-id's. If we can get producers to identify these animals as born in the US from the beginning how are the next guys in the line benefit?
It's a great idea. But I bet most low income consumers really only look at the cost and not much else.

I'll play devils advocate;
Prove it. We just had a thread not long ago that people were apposed to E-id's. If we can get producers to identify these animals as born in the US from the beginning how are the next guys in the line benefit?
It's a great idea. But I bet most low income consumers really only look at the cost and not much else.
Go to the line titled "Product of the USA"

Go to the line titled "Product of the USA"
They have kind of lukewarm support.

It was 'on the books' but pulled off because of a world court decision that ruled as it previously worded, violated existing trade agreements with Canada and Mexico. Both those countries took the USA into court over it. Probably will again too.

Latest posts