Controlling Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

Avalon

Reaction score
For the past few years I've been using fly tags. Not completley satisfied with them either. Seems like you've gotta use 2 on each cow. I'm wondering what have others found to be the most effective(time and dollar wise) to contrl flies. I put out fly blocks also but it seems that I'm always late getting this done.

i use wind an rain mineral withrabon in it.that controls the flies good when the cows eat enough of it.

I use cylence pour on 1 every month to month and a half works very well and easy to apply

I worked at a place last summer where we used fly predators... not sure how they compare economically to other methods, but FWIW, I was very impressed with how well they controlled the fly population. Pretty well eliminated it, to be honest.

We used fly predators the year before last, and had such good luck with them, the manure piles would just stay in the pastures. I wish I had ordered them this year. If you have a warm winter, some will come back. It is best to get them before the flies get a good foot hold, but no chance of frost. Pricey, but work well.

Flies are bad again this year.. the only way I can really suppress them has been to spray the herd every 3 to 5 days. I use a hand held sprayer, and I switch between a pyrthrine based (sp?) and Elector, which I really like. It's made a big difference in the fly population here.

I just finished loading up my backrubbers tonight. I have one hanging above the entrance to the water tank. I load it with a garden sprayer spraying a low pressure stream.

In addition, I have been spraying the herd about every week or two. I take the backrubber pyretrin, put it in the same garden sprayer, call them to eat some cubes, and sneak up on them and squirt a stream down their back. Sometimes this works ok, but the more skiddish ones don't get sprayed enough using this method. I also will call them up into my round pen so I can get them confined and then spray them in there.

We're putting ear tags in the calves next week.

Flies are as bad as I have seen them this year.

Flys are bad this year. We're doing the back rub, minerals, and have started doing the extra spray with pyrethins. That helps a lot for a week or so.

2/B or not 2/B":3d1dcla9 said:
Has anyone tried diatomaceous earth (food grade, mixed with feed or mineral) or know someone who has? Someone locally was selling 50# bags this spring and I was curious.

Here's a link with the claims...
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

2B...feed grade diatomaceous earth is approved as an insecticide. Works on flies, ticks and fleas and any insect with an exoskeleton. Punctures the outer shell and they dehydrate. Flies have to make contact with it so you'll miss some but those that get it on them are "done". Works well on dogs, cats and lawns. Don't know what it cost now but a year or so ago was about $16 for a 50 lb. bag. Some folks seem to think it works on parasites if mixed in feed but little real evidence to support this.

2/B or not 2/B":1o5gut51 said:
I wonder how it would compare to permethrin dust in a dust bag?

The dust bags always turtned out to be a bust. Invariably there will be one cow at least that decides it makes a neat punching (butting) bag. Too expensive for cows to use a decorations on their heads and shoulders.

THat is what I have been using. The permethrin in a 35gal sprayer on the back of the MULE. Park in the middle and feed around you. You can reach out pretty good ways, then drive around the rest. Problem is you have to do it at least once a month. Looking for some thing that isn't so time consuming now...

When the flies get bad I just take a shower. That usually works for about a week. Not that big a deal. Just wash your head and maybe the pelvic region. Should only take about 5 minutes.

Walt

Txwalt":3u1k9ka9 said:
When the flies get bad I just take a shower. That usually works for about a week. Not that big a deal. Just wash your head and maybe the pelvic region. Should only take about 5 minutes.

Walt

Walt, I need some of whatever you were on last night. Funny posts all around. I went to bed too early and missed all the fun. :lol2:

Txwalt":3qnmqyng said:

Walt

:lol: :lol: hands, armpits and between the legs...what one old man use to call a "hower's bath". :lol: :lol:

Brute 23":1e4fdqtg said:
Txwalt":1e4fdqtg said:

Walt

Do you give yourself a little shot of Ivomec also to keep the fleas, worms, anf stuff away also. :)

I wouldn't mind getting worms. I could lose some condition. I'm working on a special diet plan involving ingesting some parasites. Seems it would be a cheap alternative to surgery and easier than dieting. Anyone interested in investing PM me. Serious inquiries only. $1,000 Minimum.

Walt

Txwalt":3jur4xbf said:
Brute 23":3jur4xbf said:
Txwalt":3jur4xbf said:

Walt

Do you give yourself a little shot of Ivomec also to keep the fleas, worms, anf stuff away also. :)

I wouldn't mind getting worms. I could lose some condition. I'm working on a special diet plan involving ingesting some parasites. Seems it would be a cheap alternative to surgery and easier than dieting. Anyone interested in investing PM me. Serious inquiries only. $1,000 Minimum.

Walt
Folks, with high food prices, high feed, and fuel prices out of sight, PM me and for just half Walts price I can do the same thing. But you must hurry as supplies are moving fast and are limited. If you hurry I'll double your order and include the shipping. But you must act fast as this is not a hast-fast deal. All orders are strictly confidential and muchly appreciated. Most orders can be filled shortly after arising in the morning.

milkmaid":2ugfwy0h said:
I worked at a place last summer where we used fly predators... not sure how they compare economically to other methods, but FWIW, I was very impressed with how well they controlled the fly population. Pretty well eliminated it, to be honest.

What are fly predators? Never heard of this. Also,.....in our operation, the cows summer on two sections that are not cross fenced, just one big pasture. Will they use one of those rubbing socks between two posts, even though there is no place (like a water tank) That they HAVE to walk through? They get their water from several reservoirs...I don't mind putting up a few of those things, but will they go under them if they aren't forced to walk through them to get a drink? Thanks for the info, never really treated them for flies before but would like to start.

Latest posts