Controlling Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie":38vohxyo said:
milkmaid":38vohxyo said:
I worked at a place last summer where we used fly predators... not sure how they compare economically to other methods, but FWIW, I was very impressed with how well they controlled the fly population. Pretty well eliminated it, to be honest.

What are fly predators? Never heard of this. Also,.....in our operation, the cows summer on two sections that are not cross fenced, just one big pasture. Will they use one of those rubbing socks between two posts, even though there is no place (like a water tank) That they HAVE to walk through? They get their water from several reservoirs...I don't mind putting up a few of those things, but will they go under them if they aren't forced to walk through them to get a drink? Thanks for the info, never really treated them for flies before but would like to start.

One thing you could do is as Dun suggested in another fly thread - put some cattle panels up in a circle/corral arrangement with a rub (and the dangly things) strung across the open entrance.

Rather than around the waterer, you could put a tub of Mineralyx in the corral. This way they will come in and under the rub to get to the lick tub. You can use these tubs to get animals to go to a certain area of the pasture, etc. You'll get your flies and mineral needs taken care of at the same time.

Flies are starting in earnest now - I redoused the rub with diesel/permethrin mix a couple days ago and am pleasantly surprised at how fly-free the cattle are. Almost no flies on the body or around the eyes even on white-eyed Herefords.

Put a tub of Mineralyx in the middle of some corral panels and I think that will do it once they find the tub is there. Best of luck.

Latest posts