Contact wearers

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I'm curious if contact lenses fog up after working outside in sub freezing temps when you get into a warm truck/building. It may be self evident to some, but I don;t know anyone dumb enough that works outside a lot and wears contacts.

dun

Hubby dearest was dumb enough to work outside for the phone company and wear contacts. No they did not fog up they stay at body temperature.

I wear contacts all the time, don't feel like I see well enough with glasses. I never have a problem with them... takes alot of dirt to even get them screwed up.

I am also dumb nuff to work outside and wear contacts,been wearing them for 20+ years in any weather. I even forze my eyes shut in a blizzard one time but the contacts were fine. I'm with you Jake, I can't see as good with glasses.

I may have to look into switching to them. Going blind when you hop in the truck and have to drive can get kind of exciting.

dun

D.R. Cattle":axh35gdu said:
Been wearing them for 20 years. Never had them fog up but they dry out easily.

How do you deal with that? It would be kind of hard to spit in my own eye. Of course if I was in public I'm sure I could find someone that would be willing to.

dun

dun":2vkpz26q said:
D.R. Cattle":2vkpz26q said:
Been wearing them for 20 years. Never had them fog up but they dry out easily.

How do you deal with that? It would be kind of hard to spit in my own eye. Of course if I was in public I'm sure I could find someone that would be willing to.

dun

Learned how to maually make my own tears rather easily by yawning. Some people who can't do it just carry a little bottle of drops in their pocket. I wear the kind that you can leave in even while sleeping for a few weeks or until your eyes tell you to and then throw them away and put in a new pair. No cleaning or taking them out every night before bed. Really not that expensive. My eyes are real sensitive to light so if I had specs I wouldn't be able to wear a nice pair of shades. Also scuba diving, welding, showering and a host of other activities make the contacts so much less a burden than specs.

In the same vein but different. As a much younger person I had tremendous distant vision, but also what would be considered normal. I've noticed that even without my glasses things are clearer at 400-500 yrds then with them. Still not as clear as it used to be, but still better then when wearing them. The eye doc says that if you have excetional distant vision, they can never make it that accute again with glasses. How about with contacts?

dun":2iufkgai said:
In the same vein but different. As a much younger person I had tremendous distant vision, but also what would be considered normal. I've noticed that even without my glasses things are clearer at 400-500 yrds then with them. Still not as clear as it used to be, but still better then when wearing them. The eye doc says that if you have excetional distant vision, they can never make it that accute again with glasses. How about with contacts?

Don't have the answer to that one, but I have good distance vision with the lenses. At my last checkup my corrected vision is 20/15, which he claimed me to be "Eagle Eye". Don't have any problem seeing deer at 400-500 yards if they're out in the pasture. Still working on making hot lead contact them at that far

I can see them, but I can't make out horns, or for that matter even the ear set that's dead giveaway between bucks and does. Gotta break out the binocs for that. I can see crows out that far too, but seeing and knowing what they are is a whole bunch different then being able to actually see them if you know what I mean

dun

dun":14pbmvqt said:
I can see them, but I can't make out horns, or for that matter even the ear set that's dead giveaway between bucks and does. Gotta break out the binocs for that. I can see crows out that far too, but seeing and knowing what they are is a whole bunch different then being able to actually see them if you know what I mean

dun

I'd say you have very good vision if you can see the deer at 500 yards, regardless of horns or not.

Maybe, but it still bugs me to not be as good as it was 30 years ago. You would think that as you're eyes get more "experience" they should get better. I prefer the term experience to older or aged.

dun

Dun,

Skip the contacts and get the Lasik procedure. A free consultation will be able to tell you if it's a good option.

I wore contacts for 19 years and got the Lasik about a year ago. They were able to correct my vision to 20/10, much better than 20/20.

Best money I've ever spent to improve my quality of life!!

I'm leery enough about having a contact stuck in my eye, the concept of someone actaully in there messing around just scares the crap out of me. Do you have any problems with oncoming headlights at night. I talked with a couple of folks that had it done a few years ago and they said they could still see the lines kind of like a starburst when headlights hit them

dun

Immediately after surgery and during the healing process, yes, there are halos around lights of any kind in the darkness. It wasn't enough of a distraction to keep me from driving or anything else after dark :lol:

As my eyes healed, my vision became crisper and sharper and the halos went away. Also alleviated alot of my allergy problems with my eyes. It doesn't matter how comfortable a contact lens is, it's still a foreign object in the eye. And the eye doesn't like it. Hence, they are more prone to irritation and allergy.

Being in law enforcement, it's great not to have to worry about getting a contact knocked out in a scrap with a suspect and becoming compromised in my vision. There aint no "time outs" while I find my contact. (I will add that after 16 years, it aint fun anymore)

It's great not to have to buy contacts anymore or deal w/any of the hassle.

I really recommend it.

Dun,
I work on computers day in and day out. In the last couple of years my eyes have been shot. I had to get glasses. They are a pain in the be-nice. Then I decided to get contacts. I am still having a very difficult time putting them in and out, therefore I default back to the glasses most days. I have found that my distance vision is better with the glasses then the contacts but I can see a braoder range with my contacts. I have also learned I have to have my glasses on to see a deer far off but I have to take my glasses off to be able to see it through the scope. I also just learned I can't see both sites on my bow with my glasses on. I can focus on one or the other but the one I'm not focusing on goes fuzzy. I have not tried this yet with the contacts in. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Thanks.

Can't draw a bow anymore so I don't have a problem with bow sights. But I can't see either sight on a handgun. I put a bright orange insert in the front sights and put the ornge blob where I want to hit. Also have learned a good deal of point/reflex shooting that way. I've adjusted all of my scopes for the glasses, makes a world of difference. And now I don't have to change them every year like I used to.

dun

I have been wearing contacts for 30 years. I have always had "hard" contacts , what they call "gas permeable". They pop in when you put them in and when you take them out you pop them out by stretching the skin aroud your eye and blinking. As opposed to "soft" and extended wear you do not have to touch your eyeball and grab them out and also no little cleaning machines, steam, etc., only a small bottle of solution and bottle of cleaner. Lasik sounds great and people swear by it but i'm chicken. Aikman had it done while he was playing and Tiger had it done a few years ago.

I'll say again it's the best money you can spend.

It's so advanced now that if your eye moves even the slightest bit, the laser shuts off. Once the eye realigns, the laser picks up where it stopped.

They also have your eyeball imobilized with a suction type device to prevent movement. I don't believe I could move it if I tried (no, I didnt). :shock:

They use a liquid anesthetic to numb the eye, all you feel is some movement. They also give you a valium 20-30 minutes prior. (made me feel pretty carefree) :p

It's unbelievable but the procedure only takes about 4-5 minutes per eye.

Couldn't see squat when I layed down in the chair, 10 minutes later I stood up and could see well enough to function normally. Totally amazing!

The following day my vision was 20/30. One week later, 20/20. Another week, 20/15. At a month after the procedure, 20/10.

I can see so well it astounds me at times. It makes life much more enjoyable to not have to rely on glasses or contacts