considering showing our cows

Help Support CattleToday:

AlyssasPride

Reaction score
i have a lot of questions...
starting from scratch we have a business raising beef cattle, i treat them more less like pets.. we just bought 2 heifers and their last year calf. I know nothing about showing cows my husband has hinted at it to me now and then for the past year and half. im thinking about getting into it and would like advise about it. the one female calf looks real nice shes beautiful, grow up to be even nicer. and we have a line back steer who is even nicer looking. wish we would have left his balls alone now. he poses all the time and hes almost perfect, and only almost to me because nothing is ever perfect. That we have cows that look show quality makes me want to do it. come the questions.... is it difficult to show cows? hard to learn how? is hard to halter break and how do you really do it? is there money in showing your cows other than the advertisement of your business having cows that have taken champion/1st place? is there even a class for steers? is it worth time and effort you put into it? and also important is it personally rewarding for you?

first off what type cattle do you have? my kids showed alot around county fairs nothing to big they showed in some bigger steer shows. around here you have to be 18 and under for steers and commercial cattle but anyone can show purebreds. breaking them was not real hard just time consuming had just a few that were real hard to break. learning to clip and groom is probably the hardest part the cost can get expensive with blowers clippers grooming shutes and stuff. im not trying to discourage you at all becuase we really enjoyed it but they went off to school so kinda lost interest i hope they get back into it at some point. you get to meet a lot of people (some good some bad) theres not alot of money in county fairs some business prospects they always did really well on the steers. i dont know if i answered all your ?s if i left something out let me know and good luck showing.

Is it difficult to show cows?
It depends on what level you want to be competitive.
Hard to learn how?
It is if you don't know where to start, and it can be very overwhelming. I've been showing for over 17 years and I'm still learning.
Is it hard to halter break
That usually depends on the animal and there are several different ways to go about it.
How do you really do it?
Well.... when I start with calves still on the mom, I run the calves through the chute and put halters on them. Then I let the calves drag the halter for 1-2 days, taking the halter off at night and at that time, I tie them with their head up high and pet/brush them all over. The days after that I run the calves in a small pen and get them used to getting caught without a chute, then they get tied up for about an hour. I never leave them unattended while tied. Then I brush and pet them while tied. After about 2 days doing that, then they get lead around (sometimes they need a little help with the 4 wheeler if they are stubborn). Once they are quiet with that, they are taken to the washrack and are washed and blown dry everyday. After they are ok with the washing and no longer kick at water or the blower, we start using a show stick on them.
With older animals (weanlings to yearlings) I hold onto the halters after I put them on the first day, I don't let them drag at all. And I basically go through the same steps. I have never broke an animal older than 16 months old.
Is there money in showing your cows other than the advertisement of your business having cows that have taken champion/1st place?
Not really, you have to be great to make money with showing. It does get your name out, but that can be negative if your animals aren't looking their best.
Is there even a class for steers?
There isn't if you are over the age of 18 or 21 because you can no longer show in FFA or 4-H, at least not that I'm aware of.
Is it worth time and effort you put into it? And also important is it personally rewarding for you?
To me it is. I've met a lot of people and have sold some bulls and females at some of the shows I've been to. But I mostly do it to get the name out and because I enjoy it. I started showing when I was 6 and I've been doing it every year since.

A lot of it depends on the breed you are trying to show. If you have Angus for example, unless you have really really really good animals, it's hard to compete at national levels.

is it difficult to show cows?
It honestly depends on what level your competing on and how much heart you put into it.
hard to learn how?
The basics are easy. It's the technical stuff that you will never stop learning. It's been 12 years of learning for me.
is hard to halter break and how do you really do it?
It can be really overwhelming the first time. There are a ton of ways to do it. Luckily I've only had to break a few of them so far. Ask around on the boards they can give you more tips on that subject than I can.
is there money in showing your cows other than the advertisement of your business having cows that have taken champion/1st place?
Not really unless you have awesome calves. But like said before it can get the word out about your cattle, but if they aren't up to par then the rumors will start.
is there even a class for steers?
Deffinantly. Or at least at most shows there is.
is it worth time and effort you put into it?
If your heart is in it yes it always will be. It has been for me.
is it personally rewarding for you?
I've always busted my back and pocket book for my show calves and it's been worth it. I did it in 4H and FFA and the life lessons I got form it still effect me till this day[in a good way of course]. And everytime I hit that showring and I knew I had done my best in raising the calf next to me you could see the pride around me, and of course you can tell by the calf too.

But if you get into doing this thinking it will be easy fun, your dead wrong. It's fun but hard work too. My last 2 years of showing as a youth I busted my hump and I don't think I ever came home clean from the barn. My junior year of high school I had 2 steers and a cow with her calf. I washed them ALL 2 times a week and blew them out, cleaned pens everyday, tied them up for an hour or so, and fed twice a day. once before daylight and once after sunset. My Senior year I had 2 steers. Both my pride and joys, they were bathed 3X a week brushed and blown out every day ect. It's REALLY hard work but it was so worth every minute of it. just make sure your ready for the ultimate dedication.

Something to consider. There are many young folks that want to show. They have no facilities or even the money to do it. You can contract with one of them. You sell them the calf, work an agreement with the feed and vet expense. When a specified time has elapsed you buy back the animal at a specified price. It can be a win, win situation for both. At the same time you get to learn the ropes.
The registration papers will be put in their name, so get this contract agreement in writing.
Another option is to hire a fitter to show for you the first year while you learn.

Well, first I'd get a reality check from a trusted advisor who knows what a good animal looks like. Then, I'd count to about 30 days before you decide to break the bank and jump into the world of show cattle. It ain't cheap, is not easy, and takes know-how and dedication. Heck, I ain't anywhere near good and I've been at it 8 years already.

Latest posts