Conception to death

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
As sure as we are conceived, we are bound to die.

Yesterday, Wednesday, March 28, at 11:15 am. my dad died. He fought so hard, that I put my hand on his chest that labored for the breath of life and hoped it would help him to the other side. His five children and the wife that he married in 1948 were by his side at the end. We all experienced his will to survive. He was a tough man. I never heard him complain or witnessed him wasting time wishing. He was not a financial success but no one could hold a candle to his lack of interest in money. He had faults and the biggest one I ever observed was that he would rather do for someone else than himself. I was away for 33 years and when I came back 3 years ago he was excited about my farm and especially my cattle. He was proud of how well I took care of them and how gentle I had made them. I wish he could have had a couple more years to watch what I am doing on my farm. The nursing home is only 3 miles from my farm so I often would take him for a two hour field trip. It was something that he looked forward to and provided some pleasure. I guess this may help explain why I often say on CT that there is more to an enterprise like having a cattle operation than efficency, breed of cattle, size of cattle, etc. One of my motives for cattle at least in part was to provide a bond between dad and I. Growing up, I often disliked him but I always loved him. He disliked me too so we were even. He was a good man. He bragged about my mom being the only women he ever dated or ever wanted. I do not mourn for him. I am happy for him. You have to be happy for a man who lives on this good earth for 90 years and enjoyed it. He built fence by himself when he was 87. Memories have been stirring through my mind all day. I was thinking that one of his proudest accomplishments was picking up my younger brother's daughter every day for the first 3 or 4 years of school when my brother could not be there. He would have rather cut his arm off than miss being there for her after school. It must have been something that gave him a sense of worth. My brother held my dad's face in his hands while he was dying and thanked him for helping with his daughter. Crying out loud that he could never have raised her without Dad's help. In those last 36 hours, I think that was the most important words spoken. Her is a picture of dad on his 90th birthday, 2012.
2n9m7ox.jpg

Sorry to hear of your Loss inyati13 I said a prayer for your father.He sounds like he must have been a awesome Person Reminds me of my Dad (He has been gone over ten years now) My Condolences Go out to You and Yours.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I know that no matter how many years that it's never easy. My prayers are with you.

Larry

From your description of him it sounds like he left some marks on you and the rest of his family that will last for the lifetime of the person bearing the marks. That's how good men live forever. ;-)

Sorry for your loss Inyati...Your dad sure had a beautiful family to be proud of. Thinking about all the change in this world he would have seen in his 90 years. Jason

2n9m7ox.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss, Ron. Your father was so fortunate to be able to share time outside the nursing home with you.

Very sorry for your loss, Inyati. I know you will have big shoes to fill. I'd give anything to still have my dad around to ask for advice. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Thanks for the responses. There are many, many good people out there. Dad sincerely worried about whether his grandchildren would be as safe and secure in life as he was. There are too many good people to not let it be so. Thanks for the prayers.

My condolences also. On the same date 33 years ago my wife lost her dad. He was a cattleman and in agriculture. I'm sure there's plenty of guys like that up there to show your dad the way around. Prayers of comfort for you and your family.

Latest posts