Concealed Carry

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
With hunting season on us I thought this link might be interesting to any of you who might be carrying a knife on their person or in their vehicle. You might be surprised to find that you may just be breaking the law so its worth brushing up on your state's knife laws. Just click on your state and the information will come up.

http://www.knifeup.com/knife-laws/

Just checked out my home state of Tennessee...

"Tennessee knife laws can be difficult to understand, due to the legislature's vague language and the Court's reluctance to offer definitions of the terms used in the statutes..."

Imagine that... something difficult to understand in Tennessee!!

Basically from what I read, I can legally carry a Samurai Sword but not a switchblade!

Go figure...

Heck I thought we were a pretty conservative state but:

Conclusion on Texas Knife Law

Texas knife laws are some of the most restrictive in the United States.

It is illegal in Texas to own a gravity knife.

It is illegal to open or conceal carry any knife with a blade over 5 ½ inches long, throwing knives or stars, dirks, daggers, stilettos, and other stabbing knives, bowie knives, swords, or spears.

Sharpen up a cultivator sweep.... This is a legal
farm implement, concealed in your bib overalls.
Next law will outlaw cultivator sweeps and bib
overalls.

TN Cattle Man":7m38jfbp said:
Just checked out my home state of Tennessee...

"Tennessee knife laws can be difficult to understand, due to the legislature's vague language and the Court's reluctance to offer definitions of the terms used in the statutes..."

Imagine that... something difficult to understand in Tennessee!!

Basically from what I read, I can legally carry a Samurai Sword but not a switchblade!

Go figure...
Same deal, you can even carry butterfy knives or spring loaded blade types, but not (by legal definition) a switch blade.

Commercialfarmer":2qq77udn said:
In Oklahoma you can pretty much anything. You just can't have it on your person concealed or open, or transport it- any of them.

That's clear as mud.

Don't leave much place for it but the night stand.

What surprised me is the length of the knife that is outlawed. I had read our law a while back and saw a guy with a Buck knife on his side and by definition he was breaking the law unless he had a concealed carry permit. I pointed this out to a trooper friend of mine and asked him to clarify it and he was unaware we even had any laws regarding knives so I guess its one of those many government teeth they have chosen not to enforce at the moment.

Parachutists use them. Most have a marlin spike on one end, usually have a long loop of twine on them to affix to your body and all you have to do is flip a lock and the blades drops down without a spring and locks in place so you can cut your self out of the tree you were unfortunate enough to land in.

Wow in IL you can't open carry a gun, but you can carry a Bowie knife anyway you like, as long as your not at the courthouse, park, school, or gov. housing.

"You can carry any knife as long as it is not one of the banned knives listed above and that you do not have the intent to harm someone or break the law. The law goes into more details on this…"

well in Virginia you can open carry handguns without permitting.....but it is seldom worth the hassle you get from everyone including a lot of police....they see a weapon and some of them automaticly go into what I term Officer Safety Mode....

these days if people see you walking around with a perfectly legal weapon, you are automaticly a bad guy....

I wear a pistol a lot around home and I get a lot of strange looks....but nobody messes with me either....and we have the reputation of being just about a quarter of a bubble off plumb....

pdfangus":2exaywfu said:
well in Virginia you can open carry handguns without permitting.....but it is seldom worth the hassle you get from everyone including a lot of police....they see a weapon and some of them automaticly go into what I term Officer Safety Mode....

these days if people see you walking around with a perfectly legal weapon, you are automaticly a bad guy....

I wear a pistol a lot around home and I get a lot of strange looks....but nobody messes with me either....and we have the reputation of being just about a quarter of a bubble off plumb....

I plain carry all the time yes you do get strange looks but never been harassed by any police yet. I was in wawa and this brat kid yelled out hes got a gun and scared the crap out of everyone and it seemed everyone was uneasy and didn't breathe till I paid for my stuff and walked out the door.

Latest posts