compensatory gain

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
How important is this to a feedyard operator? Had you rather have a feeder that is eating 2% of his body weight a day plus free choice hay and pasture or one that is grazing and being fed 2lbs. of grain? Compensatory gain to a stocker operator is important, but to a feedyard operator is a hot calf better one that is use to putting away the grocerys and gaining weight fast.

Our feedlots liked buying a thin calf(what I would call a compensatory ) over a fleshed calf--Fat calves are docked HARD. They will pay more /lb for a thin calf-- but it ends up less /hd for the seller than a calf with good flesh sold a little cheaper/lb.
A thin to the point of being a weakened animal may also be concidered a compensatory calf-- but they avoid them like the plague(part of the reason I have a job :) )-- In a feedlot situation they can "crash and burn" before they get a chance to get them on feed strong- with no extra flesh to pull on- theres little chance of pulling them thru.

Our feedlots want an animal that knows what a feedbunk and water tank are. But they don't want them too fleshy especially if their flesh is outpacing their frame :)
one reason people don't think of is.........
Most hauls are limited by weight not # of animals. They want to ship as many animals as they can for their money.

I'd make sure they were bunk broke and growing well -- but not getting fat.

I think that feedyards in general will be pulling away from the compensatory calves-- there is alot of data coming down the pike that shows grade is linked to nutrition thruout the calves life--end grade may be worth more than the extra $$$ a compensatory calf gives .

Everyone wants to buy an animal thay can make some money on... Health, age, genetics, and condition are considerations you have to look at together. A thin un weaned calf is different bargin than a thin yearling coming off short pasture.

You can really push some continental cross steers without getting them too fleshy. English steers, and most heifers, are usually a different matter.

Latest posts