Compare the Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Just for grins I'd like opinions on these two bulls. The differences you see...etc. I'm sorta testing myself to see if I see what you see. Of course I'll admit that I'm not a very good judge.

Rosmarino

Magico

Though both bulls have impressive muscle definition, I like different things about each one of them.
The first bull has longer muscles, deeper chest, and I like how his rear ties in lower on his legs better. He also has a better rib IMO.
I give the second bull a plus for length of body.
To me, both bulls seem to be a bit small boned in the legs for their massive musculature.

branguscowgirl":1ici8hgu said:
Though both bulls have impressive muscle definition, I like different things about each one of them.
The first bull has longer muscles, deeper chest, and I like how his rear ties in lower on his legs better. He also has a better rib IMO.
To me, both bulls seem to be a bit small boned in the legs for their massive musculature.

Light, but strong bone is a characteristic of the Piedmontese breed. The first one definitely has a deeper heart girth, but I really like the length of the second. I missed the muscle length completely. Thank you for your opinion.

slick4591":3adz9cyr said:
branguscowgirl":3adz9cyr said:

Light, but strong bone is a characteristic of the Piedmontese breed. The first one definitely has a deeper heart girth, but I really like the length of the second. I missed the muscle length completely. Thank you for your opinion.
Slick I am not familiar with the breed, so I can not honestly say that I know anything about "the standard."
Even knowing "the standard" for the Brangus, I am NO EXPERT. I know what I like, but that may not be what someone else likes.
I can not really go much further in my evaluation with out seeing movement, though as we have recently discussed, it is hard to tell from either a photo or video alone. :D

Unfortunately, the Italian bull stud doesn't provide videos. I too would rather see a vid. This is definitely not a pass or fail test. :D I'm just trying to educate myself on what a well put together bull looks like. I already own some semen on #2 and a calf due in August from him. I'm strongly considering buying semen of #1 unless someone can point out a major flaw that I should consider. Again, I appreciate your response.

slick4591":3icu3at2 said:
Unfortunately, the Italian bull stud doesn't provide videos. I too would rather see a vid. This is definitely not a pass or fail test. :D I'm just trying to educate myself on what a well put together bull looks like. I already own some semen on #2 and a calf due in August from him. I'm strongly considering buying semen of #1 unless someone can point out a major flaw that I should consider. Again, I appreciate your response.
What are your cows like? Do they need more length? Or are you breeding for terminal? I think #2 would add some nice length, but #1 would probably be my choice for terminal steer calves. :2cents:
Edit: By saying I'd use him as the choice for terminal steer calves I do not intend to say that he wouldn't make good replacements. Just that he would probably make better steers than #2 if that's what you are looking for.

shortybreeder":rflpwgdb said:
What are your cows like? Do they need more length? Or are you breeding for terminal? I think #2 would add some nice length, but #1 would probably be my choice for terminal steer calves. :2cents:
Edit: By saying I'd use him as the choice for terminal steer calves I do not intend to say that he wouldn't make good replacements. Just that he would probably make better steers than #2 if that's what you are looking for.

I don't have a terminal market close by for my breed, so my calves have gone for seedstock. I've only had four fullblood calves so far and three of them have, or is in the process of being sold. If I buy semen on #1 it is because I like him and he throws low BW calves. Finding a low BW bull that you like is worth a lot within the Piedmontese breed.

The draw back to # 1 that I can see is the short body. Though he has more muscle than # 2. I say got ahead and get some of him.

I would take 1 over 2.
The 2 bull has a longer head and longer neck than 1 with a cleaner shoulder with the shoulder muscle extending farther back than the 1 bull. The 2 bull definately has a longer body, but I would fault him for having a "weiner" body, lacking the body depth of the 1 bull. The 1 bull is more compact and does not appear to be as tall as the 2 bull.
However his rear muscling is more explovise than the 2 bull and he appears to have a bit more width throughout.
Neither of them look calving ease to me.

Please let me preface my comment on these bulls with I know zip about the breed. That being said if I was picking I would go with one due to depth of body. I do like the length of the second bull. Again I don't know anything about this breed in fact I don't think I have ever seen one other than pictures.

Gizmom

Thank you all for your comments. Calving ease was mentioned and that's something I looked at too. I had to look twice because at first glance #1 looked like he would score worse in CE than #2. In fact, #1's number is a bit better than 2's. Guess I'll sleep on this because I have until Thursday before the cut off date gets here.

slick4591":23696k2x said:
Just for grins I'd like opinions on these two bulls. The differences you see...etc. I'm sorta testing myself to see if I see what you see. Of course I'll admit that I'm not a very good judge.

Rosmarino

Magico

Butt's and guts I would pick the second bull.
I usually say butts,guts and nuts but number three is not visible in the pics

I would be willing to bet the 1st bull is as long as the second bull. First bull is deeper bodied and heavier muscled making him appear shorter bodied.

Red Bull Breeder":3oqsibpb said:
I would be willing to bet the 1st bull is as long as the second bull. First bull is deeper bodied and heavier muscled making him appear shorter bodied.

The photographer appears to be lower to the ground on the 1st bull. I wonder if that makes a difference as to what we see?

Red Bull Breeder":2wswe2ip said:
I will second that. Sometimes the pictures are very deceiving that way. I have studied them on the bigger screen of my laptop and I would choose the first bull over the second bull for all the reason that I have mentioned. The more I look at the second bull, the less that I like him. (Of course, just based on the one pic.)

slick4591":38ldjipm said:
The photographer appears to be lower to the ground on the 1st bull. I wonder if that makes a difference as to what we see?

Excellent point, Slick.
Upon closer examination the 1 bull's front feet may also be a few inches farther away from the camera than the rear feet...
if the photographer is also standing a shade to the rear, it would emphasize the rear end and may account for why there is not even a hint of the bull's testicles showing, even though his rear foot closest to the camera is positioned farther back
than the position of the rear foot of the 2 bull.

Hard to say, but a good cattle photographer can emphasize what he wants you to see.

houstoncutter":1zmwsuda said:
Do you know if both bulls are the same age, in these pics

Can't say for sure as the 2nd bull's DOB is 7-13-05. I found him on the site 3-27-11 and printed his info. The 1st bull was born 10-23-10 and I found him a few months ago. No info on the age when the pictures were taken. This particular stud draws a certain amount of semen then sends them to slaughter. Not familiar enough with the stud to be certain of anything beyond this.

Okay, I dug a little deeper and found more info. #1 bull is 149 cm and #2 bull is 142 cm in trunk length. #1 chest girth is 191 cm and #2's is 184. Withers height for #1 is 119 cm and #2 is 115. The pic is very deceiving.

slick4591":3hbggqdh said:
Okay, I dug a little deeper and found more info. #1 bull is 149 cm and #2 bull is 142 cm in trunk length. #1 chest girth is 191 cm and #2's is 184. Withers height for #1 is 119 cm and #2 is 115. The pic is very deceiving.
VERY deceiving! Wow. Though I did feel that bull #1 was probably thicker. The measurements now say that he is. My guess is that he would also be the smoother moving bull. Bull #2 looks like he could be tight and choppy. Did you find any pictures of offspring?

Latest posts