Common Core math

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I just gotta say, I've never really seen anything like it before in my life. It just defies any logic, that I can apply to it. Watched my kids, work a simple division problem. I'm still baffled how we ever made something so simple----------- difficult.

What gets me is no one can guesstimate anymore... like what's 84/9? it's roughly 9.25... this is causing MASSIVE errors when people put decimal places in the wrong spot and can't see it doesn't work

I guess I need to do a little research into Common Core math. I hear a lot about it but don't know anything. Nesi, if you are saying "estimating" the answer is way then it's not acceptable. In most endeavors 9 is not close enough to 9.25 to be usable.

lavacarancher":2ndj55iq said:
I guess I need to do a little research into Common Core math. I hear a lot about it but don't know anything. Nesi, if you are saying "estimating" the answer is way then it's not acceptable. In most endeavors 9 is not close enough to 9.25 to be usable.

9.25 is close enough to 9.333333333 to be usable for most things.. certainly close enough to be able to tell if you did something wrong... or is the common core answer 9?

When I hear about "Common core", I think about that old bit by Abbot & Costello, its something like this----------the Gazinta Method-------7 gazinta 21 thirteen times---------and they showed how they did it on a chalk board---------and it worked!

It's the dumbing down of America. Make everyone equal by complicating things for the intelligent students so that they have the same trouble figuring out things as the slower students. That way the slow students don't feel different. Doesn't matter that some could excel, as long as the emotional needs of the lowest common denominator are met. Don't they realize that the world needs doctors and engineers as well as burger flippers and Wal Mart greeters?

Clint was in the 7th grade. I was finishing the basement. I was cutting material. I wrote down the lengths and set up the divisions. Clint struggled with how I was dividing, adding and subtracting. It concerned me that he was completing the 7th grade and could not breeze through simple math. The next day after school, I went to see his math teacher. I ask if he had a moment to discuss Clint. He said sure. I explained that Clint was struggling with elementary math. The teacher looked shocked. He said you cannot be serious. I said do I look like this is a joke. Mr. Brinkman straightened, looked me hard in the face and said surely you must know that Clint excels in math.

I said explain that he could not follow me on some simple math problems that resulted from measuring and cutting materials. He said like what. I gave him an example. He proceeded to tell me that in modern math, we teach them a more structured way to perform those operations. Our goal is for them to understand the operation. Which he said was more important than getting the correct answer. Say what?

I was not convinced. I went home and told Clint that over the summer, he and I were going to work through an 8th grade math text book. I went back to Mr. Brinkman and ask him if I could borrow one of his text books for the summer. He never said a word. Gave me a book and I told him I would return it at the end of summer.

When Clint and I began his lessons, our roles took a complete reversal. After about two or three sessions, he was teaching me modern mathematics. At that point, it was obvious that he was not behind in math, I was. I immediately called a cease and desist to my math teacher party!

Being a teacher and having kids in school, I can tell you common core does not work. A perfect example was this weekend; we were taking the kids and their cattle to a show. My middle daughter, 13 and in Algebra (8th grade) was working on her homework and asked me what 36 times 4 was. I quickly blurted out 144, and she waited a few seconds before she started to argue with me that I was wrong and it was 124 not 144. I wrote out on a piece of paper how I came to that answer, but did it quickly in my mind. She then argued that my math was faulty, and preceded to tell me the long way that she did it. After a heated argument, she finally realized that she forgot to carry the 2 when multiplying the 6x4, and then got mad because I had figured it out so quickly in my head but she could not. The kind of math she is learning is so much harder than the way I was taught. And she is extremely bright! Her school is small. But she is one of three 8th graders in a freshman class.

a good exercise to teach kids quick adding and subtracting is playing darts.. 501 is a good game for it.. you have to multiply, add, subtract.. division not so much. After years of not routinely doing basic math, and then having to do it quickly and correctly to not look stupid in front of other players is a GREAT exercise!.. though everyone has occasional brain farts where they can't do some simple addition!

Now that you have a taste for this math. Start checking out what's in your textbooks. Mainly History or Social Studies. The rewrite of history is amazing. I had the opportunity to have my girl go to a private christ based school. Because she has an IEP, the county pays for it. Being private she also doesn't have to take all the common core tests. She will have the SAT and similiar tests. In 3 weeks her reading is amazing. She is almost up to beginning 2nd grade math. She is so full of questions on definitoon of words, I may need to carry a dictionary!

Luca Brasi":zbbo5e81 said:
It's the dumbing down of America. Make everyone equal by complicating things for the intelligent students so that they have the same trouble figuring out things as the slower students. That way the slow students don't feel different. Doesn't matter that some could excel, as long as the emotional needs of the lowest common denominator are met. Don't they realize that the world needs doctors and engineers as well as burger flippers and Wal Mart greeters?

Well said. :nod: :nod:

Nesikep":2bp2ol6c said:
lavacarancher":2bp2ol6c said:

9.25 is close enough to 9.333333333 to be usable for most things.. certainly close enough to be able to tell if you did something wrong... or is the common core answer 9?

I respectfully disagree. Let me give you an example (and I can think of many). Let's say you're building a house. The standard stud spacing in the US is 16" and your common core math says you need a stud every 15.25 inches to fill the wall. After four studs you will not have anything that is on 4' centers to nail to because of accumulated tolerance error. How about mounting a bearing to a shaft. Common core says the bearing ID is 2.010" but the REAL diameter is 2.000" Ain't gonna fit Then you get down to real tight tolerances in electronics, other mechanics, time, weights, etc. and you are in a world of hurt.

Common core is designed to make a child think. Pull up some of the lessons and try it. I had no problems with the lessons at all.

Math comes easy to me. I'm a carpenter and there is no such thing as close enough . It's either right or wrong. My son is in the 4th grade . They are doing multiplications of 2 and 3 digit numbers .
Old math 35 x 40 = 1400 . New math 30 x40 = 1200. 5 x 40 200. 1200 + 200 = 1400 . Takes too long . But this how I do the math in my head . And if you think about it adults rarely use a pencil to do math . Everything is done with a calculator .

JSCATTLE":uzgav2rs said:
Math comes easy to me. I'm a carpenter and there is no such thing as close enough . It's either right or wrong. My son is in the 4th grade . They are doing multiplications of 2 and 3 digit numbers .
Old math 35 x 40 = 1400 . New math 30 x40 = 1200. 5 x 40 200. 1200 + 200 = 1400 . Takes too long . But this how I do the math in my head . And if you think about it adults rarely use a pencil to do math . Everything is done with a calculator .

When I went to school it was a slide rule and we did goesintos.
2 goesinto 10 5 times.

Whatever crazy way they are doing division takes forever. You'd be dead from old age before you figured your half of a restaurant bill.

Latest posts