NEW MATH VS OLD MATH

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
kentuckyguy said:
Workinonit Farm said:
20% of 120 is 24. Not 40.

Yeah I realize that. That's why I put the lol after it. Hope you feel better now that you have enlightened us all that 20% of 120 is 24.

We learned that in elementary school.

Doesn't sound like dumb hillbillies to me; it sounds like everyone here is fluent in math. There is nothing said here that is wrong; that YouTube problem in the first post is crazy. This thread, however, just reminded me that math seems like the one subject that everybody likes to prove they're not dumb in. I'm not talking about just here, but everywhere. Everybody has a story about how they went to the grocery and their cashier couldn't count, or maybe a poor dirt farmer had to school their accountant on math. I can't remember who posted it, but someone said they thought they were slow because it took them 4 seconds to work it in their head. I don't know if he was kidding, but I couldn't work that in 4 seconds in my head, but I'm not one bit ashamed. It sounds like he has some math skills worth celebrating.

It was obvious you meant the $40 as a joke. Oh well! We are just dumb hillbillies. Lol.

I don't think Workinonit posted that to be mean spirited. They just did not get the joke.

herofan said:
Bright Raven said:
kentuckyguy said:
Yeah I realize that. That's why I put the lol after it. Hope you feel better now that you have enlightened us all that 20% of 120 is 24.

We learned that in elementary school.

Doesn't sound like dumb hillbillies to me; it sounds like everyone here is fluent in math. There is nothing said here that is wrong; that YouTube problem in the first post is crazy. This thread, however, just reminded me that math seems like the one subject that everybody likes to prove they're not dumb in. I'm not talking about just here, but everywhere. Everybody has a story about how they went to the grocery and their cashier couldn't count, or maybe a poor dirt farmer had to school their accountant on math. I can't remember who posted it, but someone said they thought they were slow because it took them 4 seconds to work it in their head. I don't know if he was kidding, but I couldn't work that in 4 seconds in my head, but I'm not one bit ashamed. It sounds like he has some math skills worth celebrating.

I was in Dollar General yesterday and saw Charmin toilet tissue, 6 mega rolls for $12 sitting on the shelf at eye level. I started to get it, but on the bottom shelf were packs of 9 rolls. So I thought, let me see how much they cost. Had to get down on the floor to read the price sticker that was on the bottom shelf and it was 9 mega rolls for $9.

Many years ago a Senator was visiting a small country school. He asked the kids some questions. One was do you know what totom 2 is no one answered he went on through several more totom questions. Finally one little boy said mister we don't even know what totom is.

I got a kick out of the post where the husband went in to the Math teacher and told her unless she was going to be available for tutoring, he didn't want t anymore homework coming home, and it stopped. It doesn't quite work that way here. Interesting.

kenny thomas said:
And I thought I was slow because it took me 4 seconds to figure it in my head.

My son said it was bull be nice when he all ready knew the answer to the problem to work it out. That was about second grade.

herofan said:
I got a kick out of the post where the husband went in to the Math teacher and told her unless she was going to be available for tutoring, he didn't want t anymore homework coming home, and it stopped. It doesn't quite work that way here. Interesting.
Doesn't work that way here either. The teacher doesn't decide what to teach. The teacher teaches what the state school board orders the teacher to teach. I did not get a kick out of that post, somebody jumping on the teacher because they're following orders from the state school board.

Allenw said:
kenny thomas said:
And I thought I was slow because it took me 4 seconds to figure it in my head.

My son said it was bull be nice when he all ready knew the answer to the problem to work it out. That was about second grade.

my son knew that before he was born

ga.prime said:
herofan said:
Doesn't work that way here either. The teacher doesn't decide what to teach. The teacher teaches what the state school board orders the teacher to teach. I did not get a kick out of that post, somebody jumping on the teacher because they're following orders from the state school board.

I agree. "Getting a kick" out of it was probably the wrong choice of words. I know first-hand how teachers have to teach the curriculum that is given to them, and some schools even have homework policies that require a certain amount of homework to be given at certain intervals. That's why I found it strange that a parent dictated what the teacher did. It doesn't work that way at all here. Then again, it's difficult to interpret tone from written words, and I don't know the entire story. It may have been a very mature discussion between two adults who had some light-bulb moments, and things were changed in that manner. I guess I interpreted it as a "tough-guy" story where the teacher had a system, and a parent went in and layed down the law and the teacher changed to what the parent wanted. I'm always amused at tough-guy stories. As you mentioned, no need to jump on the teacher for doing their job.

herofan said:
ga.prime said:
herofan said:

I agree. "Getting a kick" out of it was probably the wrong choice of words. I know first-hand how teachers have to teach the curriculum that is given to them, and some schools even have homework policies that require a certain amount of homework to be given at certain intervals. That's why I found it strange that a parent dictated what the teacher did. It doesn't work that way at all here. Then again, it's difficult to interpret tone from written words, and I don't know the entire story. It may have been a very mature discussion between two adults who had some light-bulb moments, and things were changed in that manner. I guess I interpreted it as a "tough-guy" story where the teacher had a system, and a parent went in and layed down the law and the teacher changed to what the parent wanted. I'm always amused at tough-guy stories. As you mentioned, no need to jump on the teacher for doing their job.

Man's action was not a good example for his son. The father is a bully and his son will follow in his foot steps. Father's fault for siring a dumb boy.

hurleyjd said:
herofan said:
ga.prime said:

Man's action was not a good example for his son. The father is a bully and his son will follow in his foot steps. Father's fault for siring a dumb boy.

Or is the kid coming home with homework that the parent is expected to assist with. And the math is in a form that the parent doesn't have a clue about. It could be an entirely foreign concept. I know that if one of my kids had came home expecting me to help learning Spanish I would have had to go talk to the teacher.

Dave said:
hurleyjd said:
herofan said:

Or is the kid coming home with homework that the parent is expected to assist with. And the math is in a form that the parent doesn't have a clue about. It could be an entirely foreign concept. I know that if one of my kids had came home expecting me to help learning Spanish I would have had to go talk to the teacher.

Same here, if I had to help my kids in Spanish, I'd have to have a talk with the teacher too. "Talk to the teacher" is the key, not try to make the rules for them or bully them. Teachers here don't send work home that parents are supposed to help teach or assist with; we realize that it's not possible in many homes. The support teachers would like from parents is to display a positive attitude toward education to their children, and feeling free to ask the teacher for help if needed. I can't imagine a parent telling a teacher in my school system that they "better do this or that" and it actually pressures the teacher into doing it. We have more support from our administration and law enforcement, if need be, to let things like that go on.