Commercially oriented Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Durham Reds

Reaction score
Coalpit_Creek_Leader_6th.jpg

impossibledream2008umdmh.jpg

The bull calf is "Coalpit Creek Leader 6th" He is pictured here last February at 17 months of age. He has been on free choice meadow grass hay all winter. He will see use this year on our yearling heifers and a few of the cows.
His dam is "HHFS Impossible Dream". This photo was taken in 2008 when she was 12 years of age. She just delivered another calf for her owner last week. He reports that her udder is still perfect and that she is very sound at 14 years.

Thanks for looking!

Thank you TGIB. I'm a great fan of your program! I'm very pleased with the Saskvalley Bonanza calves I have.

Roan, at times I'm inclined to agree with you when I'm looking at him in the pasture. Then, the next time, I really like him a lot. His sire is an old bull named Kinnaber Leader 6th and phenotypically is one of my favorite bulls from the past. This young bull is very sound and structually correct. It will be fun to see what he looks like a year from now. To me, he shows a lot of the qualities that I feel make a good maternal sire. Time will tell! Thanks for looking!

The bull looks like he'll breed for a long time-they can be pretty for a few months or useful for several years-the corn feeders haven't got that one figured out yet. Love the strong muzzle on that old cow.

I have always admired that cow and what makes her longevity even more remarkable is the fact that she has never been pampered by any ones standards.It will be interesting to see how your bull with two divergent bloodlines nicks with your herd.

Stocker Steve. I wish there was more data on this important question! Of course, as in every breed, some bloodlines seem to be more efficient than others. Using a measuring system such as GrowSafe (from Canada) that is being used at Midland Bull Test seems like the only "sure fire" way to accomplish this. I would love to be able to utilize this system. I am considering entering some calves at Midland again this fall. This would be as much for my information as anything else. Of course, on their website they warn not to "compare RFI (residual feed intake) across breeds"! :lol: At this time, all I can say for sure is that the calves I keep for bull prospects are wintered on free choice grass hay (actual test almost identical to 2009 feed Comp table) and starting in mid October are gradually worked up to 10 lbs/head/day of a 15% protein Midds pellet which is fed through March. Replacement heifers are fed the same with the exception that they receive 4 lbs of the pellets/day. This seems to work for us. I have the scan data at this computer from 2 years ago on 13 head of our replacements. Ave age 353, ave scan weight 747, ave. Fat .26, ave. REA 9.5, ave. %IMF 4.86 This year's data was very similar, but I don't have access to it at the moment.

Norther Rancher & N.R Reed: Seeing this old cow is what led to my purchase of her son. "They" claim that if you find something you love doing, you'll never work a day in your life. I sure enjoy trying to build the ideal (maternal) bovine!

Thanks

I love the cow! I believe HHFS is Roy Lovas?? I have talked a few times with him, had great talks and got a different opinion than what the people around me feel. Is she sired by Dream weaver? I always say I am going to buy some semen on him but never have. I think the bull suffers from a bad picture jmo. I like seeing you using different genetics!

TGIB I have got your bull Ramrod stuck in my head and will probably be calling you soon. I think he could really help all the corn dependant cattle in the states!!!!! I have heard some pretty big breeders are using Bonanza heavily. Good for you! About time some real world cattle get the respect they deserve

D.R. have you ever flushed the cow? Thanks for posting these pics!

Northern Rancher- I sent you a PM with the address.

Trevor- I do not own this cow. You are correct that Roy Lovaas of MN bred her. She is a Dream Weaver daughter. Dennis Hoffrogge of MN owns her now and she will flushed more.

Latest posts