Commercial pairs fetch 1900-2100$

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
There was a commercial cow sale here in NC last weekend and I had several neighboors that were there and said that commercial pairs with 2 month old calves by thier side brought as high as 2100$ . I just thought I would pass this along. I know this is way to much for commercial pairs so dont jump on me for passing it along. thanks

At them prices cow would have to have 4 calfs to break even before turning a profit.
Can't stay afloat with numbers like that, if a cow cant pay for herself in 2 calfs she is not stopping here.

It has to be a dang nice pair to fetch $1200 around here. You can pick up a decent pair in the $900 to $1100 range at the past few sales I've been to. Breds and pairs are off somewhat here. That is, unless I need a few. :roll:

cfpinz

A lot of times the "replacement sales" bring more $$ for the cattle because they get a bigger bunch of buyers. They know what they're looking for, and rather than go to four or five weekly sales to see if there's anything good, they figure they can go to one and get as many pairs or breds as they need. They are routinely higher in this area.

I can see where paying that price for commerical pairs is expensive but how about the seller thats pruddy darn good for him I can't really say anything cause we sold a some at $2150 they were first calf hiefers also. I kinda enjoyed taking that check to the bank.

TheBullLady":2d0k494m said:
A lot of times the "replacement sales" bring more $$ for the cattle because they get a bigger bunch of buyers.

I have to agree with the above statement, and especially if the sale is on Saturday, that is when most of the people who work full time show up and buy what they need.

A few months back I bought 2 Angus pairs for $890.00 per pair on a Monday sale and sold them three weeks later (Saturday's replacement sale) for $1275.00 per pair.

Caustic Burno":17cfknnu said:
At them prices cow would have to have 4 calfs to break even before turning a profit.
Can't stay afloat with numbers like that, if a cow cant pay for herself in 2 calfs she is not stopping here.

I have to agree with you Caustic. How can you make money spending that much on cattle?

Latest posts