Come closer I only wan't to touch you

Help Support CattleToday:

little creek

Reaction score
Is there anything that I can hand feed my young heifers to get them to come closer to me. I've tried sweet feed and other grain mixs. These will be my mother cows and I wan't to be able to get close to them when it time for them to calf. Thanks, Little Creek.

Go to the bread store and pick up some day old bread - doesn't matter what type. Once they get a taste of it - they'll follow you anywhere.
Of course, I would caution against turning these girls into pets - that's exactly how you get hurt -especially around calving time - let nature run it's course or call for assistance.

little creek":3kzufidi said:
Is there anything that I can hand feed my young heifers to get them to come closer to me. I've tried sweet feed and other grain mixs. These will be my mother cows and I wan't to be able to get close to them when it time for them to calf. Thanks, Little Creek.

Simply because a heifer/cow is tame does not necessarily mean she will be more accepting of you getting close to her after she has calved - it just means you are more likely to get hurt trying to do it, as you have removed the natural fear of humans. Just my thoughts.

What I recommend to customers wanting to gentle cattle down is when you feed them (if in bunches less than 40 head) is to feed them the grain ration inside the pen in a trough so they can get used to you being close to them. Allow them enough space to get to the feed without crowding and bepatient and in time they will associate you as nothing to be afraid of. Of course there are always those that this will just not work with, but I have had great success with this for calming females down for breeding projects as well as for halter breaking show calves when necessary. I agree that they don't need to be pets, but I understand you wanting to have cattle that aren't nervous around you all the time.

Thanks for all the answers to my questions. I know ya'll don't know us, but this forum has over and over again helped me save money, worry, time, and pain. My family thanks all of you.
I will not be able to check my email for awhile. I failed another heart exam and it is back in the hospital I go. See ya'll on the other side. Thanks again, Little Creek.

littlecreek,

Bless you and get well.

For when you get back on the board.....the cautions are well placed. However if you want to make them more gentle...try apples...pears...peaches...a few on the ground in front of them first. ...and then you should have no problem hand feeding them. Range cubes should work also...especially if you lace them with some old mollassses or honey. They can't resist. JUST REMEMBER TO BE CAREFUL AROUND CALF TIME......it's not the same cow for a few days/weeks.

I take a few pounds of corn silage and about a gallon of maple syrup and mix them together...just spread it on the ground near the fence and walk away...they'll eat it after you leave then they will follow you around wanting more...my grandchildren aways mix up some syrup feed so they can get the calves to come around them

they love just about any thing thats a change from plain ol' grass. watermelons, turnips, peanut vines. word of caution--dont feed them anything you have a field of that you dont want them to break into and eat until after youve harvested.

I really begin calming my heiffers when I wean them. I start by giving them some type of feed. I make sure they see my bucket - they are used to it already from being with the herd. I give them some in their feeder and stand right by it. If they want the feed they have to come close to me. Typically by the second time they will let me scratch them behind their ears/neck etc. I just continue to do this when I have time :lol: I mostly just do this so that they are familiar with me and so that if there is ever a problem they will pretty much do what I need by following my bucket (or seeing I have the bucket). I have found you really do have to be careful as a 1,000+ pound cow running for the bucket is a scary thing :) :eek: :shock: I don't have a lot of cows but even the ones I got when they were older will let me get close enough to get a good close look if I need to - the ones born on my farm still love to be scratched and hand fed (apples/bread, etc.)

I've got a question - again. :lol: :lol: :lol: Whatever happened to just working and regular handling of cows in order to achieve trust and familiarity? Why do so many people think they have to feed treats to be able to handle any potential problems come calving time, or any other time as far as that goes? 98% of the time it's not about treats, it's about the mindset, attitude, and confidence level of the person handling them. If my experience is any indication, cows instinctively know who they can trust and who they can't. Thoughts?

msscamp":2bihtpt0 said:
I've got a question - again. :lol: :lol: :lol: Whatever happened to just working and regular handling of cows in order to achieve trust and familiarity? Why do so many people think they have to feed treats to be able to handle any potential problems come calving time, or any other time as far as that goes? 98% of the time it's not about treats, it's about the mindset, attitude, and confidence level of the person handling them. If my experience is any indication, cows instinctively know who they can trust and who they can't. Thoughts?

Well put I totally agree.

Need to face the fact that some will never get real friendly...a sniff may be all that you get. Others will follow you around like a puppy.
NEVER TRUST A COW....watch how cows play, I won't match my 250# carcass with a 1200# cow in a friendly game of head butt. It's the friendly ones that hurt people. Ever had your foot stepped on? (and couldn't get the cow to move)
Keep them aware of you and a little bit uneasy, they will be easier to handle. Ever tried to get one into the chute when they have no fear at all....Susie's pet Herf cow hasn't a mean bone in her and will follow her like a puppy but won't budge when I need her in the chute. Keep saying that I'm going to get a prod, but been saying that for years. Probably will keep on having Susie lead her where we want her to go.
Anyway, that's my two bits worth. Dmc

Susie, thanks, I just got my first lession, on just how much pain that a cow, that weighs around nine hundred pounds can put on you, when they are going into a chute. I tried to use our new head gate and everything went well until her head hit the metal part going into the head gate. I was behind her, waiting for my brother too set the board againt her back side. And all of a second, she turned around and was on me like a deer caught in the headlights. My middle finger got relocated too an L shape and I felt lucky that I was not trampled over. Lession learned. Little Creek.

Little Creek, try to imagine what it would be like to be taken and bunted by one of those 900-1300 pound cows. How far do you think you would fly?

msscamp, I would not want to be on the end of that head butt.
This is why I use this forum, I am brand new at this cattle life.Too some my comments may seem stupit, but by me being new, and sharing my mistakes, painful as they may be, and embarassing to me to tell this forum just what happen. I hope the next rookie cow person, can learn by my mistakes, and can save money, time, and the pain. Little Creek.

Little Creek - I can honestly say that with regard to the posts you've made, to the best of my recollection I have never considered any of them dumb, stupid, or anything else along those lines. They simply reflect that you are new and trying to learn - no crime in that! :)

Feed them a little everyday and call them when you feed them. Walk around them while they eat and just touch them as you walk along. Don't try to just stand and pet them. They will get used to it pretty quick. You don't want them too petted anyway. They will walk all over you at the bunk when you try to feed them. As long as they don't run from me and I can drive them thats as gentle as I want them. 8)

Latest posts