Colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I feel that I already know the answer to this question, but I hope that I am ignorant to the subject.

If another calf keeps a heifer or cow sucked down before she gives birth, up until the morning of the birth of the calf, does this completely deplete the cow of colostrum? Even if the cow's udder is totally filled,the morning of the birth? By the time of the birth, the cow's udder was swollen and squirting milk.
Or is the cow able to produce more colostrum the morning of the birth, (hormonal) if the udder is completely filled, and dripping milk?
Chuckie

It's basically gone. It takes a period of weeks to manufacture high quality colostrum.

Thanks Dun. I was hoping I was wrong on that one. It now seems that it might not have made a difference. The calf was born in a pool of watery mess, not just afterbirth, and did not want to move. I thought it was dead, until I saw a bubble come out of it's nose and a foot move. I started trying to get it going, and letting mom and calf bond. Moving forward several hours, calf had fluid in lungs from the birth, and was not doing well. It was chilled, and I brought it inside to the kitchen. It is chilled to the bone, and it felt like a piece of ice. I have been putting warm towels on her, and then a blanket to warm her up. I am keeping her turned. One of the cows had stepped on her tail, and broke it and it is going to be crooked. I put a splint on it and I hope it will make it be straighter. She is not real strong, and I did give her a bottle of colostrum from a dry mix first thing. She loves to be tubed!!!

I am being told to give her an egg, sugar and whiskey. It was mixed up, but I really don't want to pour it into her. The milk has protein as does the egg. I don't know about the sugar. The whiskey, the amount poured in the blender, I do not think the calf needs a stiff drink, or a hang over at this time? I am not to sold on this remedy for
dehydration and pneumonia.
Chuckie

Sounds to me like you have done fairly well so far with this calf. I would just stick with the colostrum and possibly some electrolytes if she seems dehydrated. Might want to consider something like Nuflor or Draxxin or something for pneumonia. I've never been sold on feeding a calf anything other than milk, electrolytes and some sort of drug if they need it.

I would give Colostrum for first 24 hours, than a good milk replacer (mom's milk is BEST of course).
The absolute best way (and quickest way) to warm a calf is put it in your bathtub in warm water. Hold head up & keep mixing in warm water (keep around 100 F). then towel off.

chuckie,

all of the above being said; i had the situation you described this last Spring with a second calf cow. never could get the first calf weaned and he was actively nursing as it turned out, alongside the newborn. being worried about colostrum for the newborn, we tried to bottle feed her colostrum, but she would have none of it. we finally threw up our hands and let nature take it's course. the cow continued to nurse both dependents right through the Summer. no adverse effects noticed on the newborn. we sold the weanling (the newborn) at six months and 471# (a heifer). it seems the calf either got some colostrum from the mother or we just got lucky with that calf. my advice would still be to try and get some colostrum in that calf. good luck!!

tsmaxx47":2xteegul said:
chuckie,

all of the above being said; i had the situation you described this last Spring with a second calf cow. never could get the first calf weaned and he was actively nursing as it turned out, alongside the newborn. being worried about colostrum for the newborn, we tried to bottle feed her colostrum, but she would have none of it. we finally threw up our hands and let nature take it's course. the cow continued to nurse both dependents right through the Summer. no adverse effects noticed on the newborn. we sold the weanling (the newborn) at six months and 471# (a heifer). it seems the calf either got some colostrum from the mother or we just got lucky with that calf. my advice would still be to try and get some colostrum in that calf. good luck!!

Just curious why did you let the first calf suck through the summer. The first time you saw her nurse you should have placed the 1st calf in a different pasture or even sold it. Most lkely the calf did get colostrum, but I am sure that the 2nd calf did not sell at the weight it would have if it was the only calf nursing on the mother.

There are always going to be stories of a calf that does well without colostrum. Not getting colostrum does not mean the calf is going to get sick & die - & getting a good colostrum source does not guarantee it won't get sick & die. But - it sure puts the odds in favor of the calf doing well.

Here's part of an article:
In cattle, the survival of the calf is dependent on its receiving high-quality colostrum within the first 24 hours of life, because the structure of the placenta prevents the fetus from receiving immunoglobulins (IgG) in utero. This is very different from most species, such as humans, which receive IgG across the placenta, and are born with the ability to mount an immune response to pathogens. As a result, newborn calves can't fight a bacterial or viral challenge until they have acquired passive immunity through the IgG in colostrum. The IgG are a specialized form of antibodies, gamma globulin proteins, that fight bacterial and viral infections by binding to pathogens and neutralizing them. With cattle, the newborn calf's small intestine can only absorb IgG during the first 24 hours of life. Furthermore, within the first 24 hours of life, the timing of the calf receiving colostrum is critical as the ability to absorb IgG from the small intestine starts to decline after the first 6 hours, and is essentially stopped after 24 hours (Rogers and Capucille, 2000). Therefore, for optimum immunity, the calf needs to nurse well within the first 6 hours. With first-calf heifers, this timing is an important management issue, as heifers that don't let their newborn calves nurse immediately are in a much greater danger of losing them, or having them get sick.

The effects of poor immunity in newborn calves have real economic impacts. Calves with inadequate serum immunoglobulin at 24 hours of age were found to be up to nine times more likely to become sick, and five times more likely to die before weaning, compared with calves that received adequate immunity, and calves that became sick within the first 28 days, after calving, were 35 pounds lighter at weaning than calves that were healthy (Wittum and Perino, 1995). As this research showed, colostrum quality and quantity can have a major impact on profitability. In a recent study, 6% of calves between 2 and 8 days of age had inadequate immunity, 10% of calves had a marginal immunity, and one-third of the calves were below the adequate immunity level based on a blood serum IgG level of 24g/L (Waldner and Rosengren, 2009). For producers who need to know how much colostrum a calf needs, research has found that an adequately nourished beef cow should be able to provide an adequate supply of IgG in about 3 liters of colostrum, which means that a calf should consume one pint of colostrum for every 20 pounds of calf weight (Rogers and Capucille, 2000).

BRAFORDMAN":3sn1jt4b said:
tsmaxx47":3sn1jt4b said:
chuckie,

Just curious why did you let the first calf suck through the summer. The first time you saw her nurse you should have placed the 1st calf in a different pasture or even sold it. Most lkely the calf did get colostrum, but I am sure that the 2nd calf did not sell at the weight it would have if it was the only calf nursing on the mother.

braford man; i know what i should have done and would have done it if that were a possibility. i sold the second calf at six months and the first calf is now a 21 month old steer going to the butcher on jan 8th. hindsight is 20/20, all in all; thanx to a hellava momma cow, everything worked out. a learning experience for me!

Latest posts