Colorado: PAUSE initiative

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I saw this on facebook the other day and was wondering if anyone on here, primarily from the Colorado area knows anymore about it than the article tells.

Apparently there is a ballot initiative proposed being filed with the colorado secretary of state that would criminalize some common practices in the livestock industry. They are claiming there goal is to raise the quality of life for all domesticated animals. It would require all livestock to reach 25% of natural lifespan prior to slaughter. The ballot terms lifespan for cattle to be 20 years, meaning no butchering until they are 5 years of age. Chickens natural lifespan at 8 years, turkeys 10, ducks 6 years old, pigs 15 years old, sheep 15 years old, and rabbits 6 years old.
Also in the legislation is the criminalization of any type of penetration into an animal, (great to deter the practice of beastiality). However A.I., preg. checking, semen collection and fertility testing sires with also be considered a criminal offense.

I am all for the humane treatment of animals from birth to butcher but this doesn't even seem logical to me. Please tell me there is someone in this fight with a loud voice in favor of agriculture.

If this is even real, it's not going anywhere. Most likely a political stunt by activists. JBS can afford good lawyers and lobbyists.

If this is even real, it's not going anywhere. Most likely a political stunt by activists. JBS can afford good lawyers and lobbyists.
Who supports it? Name names. There aren't many. It certainly doesn't have mainstream popularity with either party.
By your previous post you expect private business and lawyers to fight this fight not your administration.... your words....

By your previous post you expect private business and lawyers to fight this fight not your administration.... your words....
You're correct, I don't expect the Biden administration to spend time fighting proposed legislation in Colorado that has no chance of going anywhere.

I saw this on facebook the other day and was wondering if anyone on here, primarily from the Colorado area knows anymore about it than the article tells.

Apparently there is a ballot initiative proposed being filed with the colorado secretary of state that would criminalize some common practices in the livestock industry. They are claiming there goal is to raise the quality of life for all domesticated animals. It would require all livestock to reach 25% of natural lifespan prior to slaughter. The ballot terms lifespan for cattle to be 20 years, meaning no butchering until they are 5 years of age. Chickens natural lifespan at 8 years, turkeys 10, ducks 6 years old, pigs 15 years old, sheep 15 years old, and rabbits 6 years old.
Also in the legislation is the criminalization of any type of penetration into an animal, (great to deter the practice of beastiality). However A.I., preg. checking, semen collection and fertility testing sires with also be considered a criminal offense.

I am all for the humane treatment of animals from birth to butcher but this doesn't even seem logical to me. Please tell me there is someone in this fight with a loud voice in favor of agriculture.

We watched a fact based movie a couple of months ago about the animal rights activists getting legislation passed in ,I believe Montana. It gave authorities the right to issue tickets,fines or confiscation of animals for violating the"law". It was Hollywooded, I'm sure, but still gave cause for thought. I will try to get the name of it posted, damned CRS!

I'm back. The Stand at Paxton County. Available thru Netflix,which says the true story is more scary than the movie.

Latest posts