COLD WEATHER CALVING

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
We've had record lows the last couple of weeks. Despite my best efforts I've had 2 frozen calves (one may have been born dead). Anyone else considering turning out their bulls later this spring? I normally turn out on May 15, but this crap is making me consider the first or middle of June this year..

That pot load of bred heifers I sold last fall should be calving right now. I looked up the weather forecast for the area they were shipped to. For the next ten days the low was a few degrees +/- zero. I hope that guy is set up for this.

Lazy M":11y2bjg8 said:
We've had record lows the last couple of weeks. Despite my best efforts I've had 2 frozen calves (one may have been born dead). Anyone else considering turning out their bulls later this spring? I normally turn out on May 15, but this crap is making me consider the first or middle of June this year..

I live in Ky, and have been calving through this. I also turn in may 15th. I'm sticking with it. Me and my dad were talking this weekend. We may never see weather like this again. A snow in February usually burns off in a day or two. I have never seen it this cold this long in February. Heck I've planted corn in march many times. This is a fluke. I'm staying the course. Just imagine how bad the mud is going to be when this crap finally breaks :hide:

We had a pretty brutal Feb in KY last year too, though..

We're going back to start breeding May 20, that way we should only have a few born in some cold

This little bull was born last night it got down to 6 degrees here. The second one was born on Valentine's night it down to 9 degrees that night. I believe it has a lot to do with the cow on how well they get cleaned off and nurse. B&G

Thinking on it some. The 1st week of June is the latest I've ever held to.
This has been an extreme month weather wise. I went back and checked from '10 thru '14. Mine go to the Bull around 2nd to 3rd week in May. Always had a few in mid Feb. with little problem. This weather should smooth on out now. I hope. Heck, we saw the 70's here last month.

Nice calves B&G. Good luck with them. Watch them around that feeder. I had one stepped on and lost it.

I turned the bull in the second week of April last year and it kinda worked out because all the calves off my heifers I had toward the end of January and the first of February were born when it was warm. The only problem was all my March and April calvers look like they have been moved back at least a month and are just starting to drop now. This year I have to find a way to separate my heifers and get them bred earlier while saving the bull back until at least mid May for the cows.

Toad":38hjusrn said:
I turned the bull in the second week of April last year and it kinda worked out because all the calves off my heifers I had toward the end of January and the first of February were born when it was warm. The only problem was all my March and April calvers look like they have been moved back at least a month and are just starting to drop now. This year I have to find a way to separate my heifers and get them bred earlier while saving the bull back until at least mid May for the cows.
Could do A.I.?

I felt the same way when I found one Saturday morning that a heifer had and failed to get him dried off. I wanted to kick myself because I should have had her up. But on the other hand I saved one last Monday by getting it in and warming it up while the mother had a twin. I would suggest something I learned by accident. I had a heated throw and we wrapped it in it and within an hour the calf was on its way to recovery. Here is a link to what we used: http://www.sunbeam.com/heated-bedding/throws/ . I have learned that you can never have enough tools in your toolbox.
On the flip side I had two in late Nov. and 3 in January and they all came on days in the 40's. We just had a freak year.

I turned in on May 24. Had a calf this evening. Wish she would of crossed her legs a few more days, it's going to be 7 and windy tonight. Going back to check in a little while, it was still wet when I saw it.

We A.I'd the first group on June 6th, so we should have at least a week before they start calving (they are all starting to bag up so I'm guessing they'll come on the early side), the 2nd group was taken care of on July 17th so they will be due on the 25th of April, but one was an E.T. so I believe that moves the date up a week? Not sure. Then I have a heifer we bred August 18th or something (due mid June) followed by 3 head due September 6th. We are pretty spread out, but I have 3 open cows that I held over to move up their calving dates (they were going to be July calvers). 2 will be receiving embryos (if they cycle properly) to be due in early January (so I will be home for winter break and can watch them myself) and the other one is a really nice show cow that I plan to breed for a nice January/February show prospect.

After last winter I thought all you Popsicle calvers would have learned. Guess it takes a while to sink in.

B&G, don't be so sure of yourself, ol Mother Nature will get ya. And it will hurt the pocketbook big time!!!

We lost one today to this crappy weather. The heifer had it when it was pouring down rain then it got to 25 and stayed there all day while it was sleeting. I think the calf was born early because it didn't act like it could walk really good shaking really bad. I bet this calf barely weighed 30 pounds if that. My beagle was bigger then it was no joke. My dad claimed it weighed 15 pounds. It was born to fail. Eats me up losing one to this weather. Especially when you could have done something about it. Mother Nature runs its course for a reason I guess.

fitz":1sc33c2p said:
Nice calves B&G. Good luck with them. Watch them around that feeder. I had one stepped on and lost it.

Yeah, I hate those feeders when calving. I mainly unroll hay. Those are mostly used when it's muddy. Also the last of the core that won't unroll, I'll toss into a feeder for them to clean up. I lost a calf a couple years ago, that got inside one of those feeders and got its head stuck. :mad: That feeders is in the bull pen now. B&G

AllForage":3r4fbmmy said:
After last winter I thought all you Popsicle calvers would have learned. Guess it takes a while to sink in.

B&G, don't be so sure of yourself, ol Mother Nature will get ya. And it will hurt the pocketbook big time!!!

AllForage, Not sure of myself at all, when it comes to mother nature! I was just trying to point out that the cow is very important in the calf surviving. But, I will say I lost more calves to wet slop than dry cold. Some my not have all their ears though. LOL B&G

I would agree with the loosing more to wet than cold statement. Bad weather can come at any time. There are lot's of things to consider when planning your calving season. Get all of your cows bagged up on good spring grass and have a newborn calf try to keep up with them. Then see how your over all udder health is for your herd. Loosing a calf to weather is a bad break that can happen at any time. Loosing a cow to mastitis can cost you, too. I like to have the bulk of my calves hitting six to eight weeks old when the spring grass hits. For me that means a May 20 turn out. I suspect if you turned out a bull close to when you could plant tomatoes without worrying about frost, it would probably work out OK for you wherever you were.

Andyva, that's exactly when we turn out the bull,.. but have never used the tomato logic. Neighbor across the river has much better sun than we do, he calves out starting Feb 4th.

My cows like holding on to them a little longer, a May 25th turnout means my first calves will hit around Mar 10th.. I have one I bred May 12th and she's about to pop, but may still hold on to it for 6 days or so if she's stubborn.
I would have been very happy to calve out all Feb this year, minimal mud and beautiful weather.. lets see what March has for us.

I've given up on breeding the heifers earlier than the cows.. it just means I have a longer calving season.. With decent nutrition I've found they all breed back with the cows anyhow, and they've grown a little in that time.. They calf in warmer weather, and when I have cows I can get colostrum from if I need it.

Latest posts