Coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
We sold a calf to a neighbor. He said the calf had blood in his stools. He is treating with corid. We have never done this before. Need recommendations on the best way. I have not seen any with scours or are real loose. Going to check tomorrow a bit more closely for blood. We have 5 calves nursing. All seem in excellent shape. Eating really well. Is it just calves that we need to worry about treating? If they are nursing will they get enough out of water to treat? Use crumbles too? If we treat all of our animals should we just use one trough. We have 9 cows, a bull and 5 calves. Also, do I need to bring in a couple of stool samples?
Thanks ahead of time.
Colleen

Stool sample is the only way to know for sure if it coccidiosis. Otherwise it's just a crap shoot.

colleen":37l989hv said:
Alright. Just a sample on a couple of the calves or the cows too?
Get a sample of all the calves unless it's a bunch. Run it and if it comes back positive Treat all the herd. If the neighbors calf is being treated I don't know if the sample will be an accurate test. But it would be great if you could get a sample of that before treatment

Hooknline....Well we sold the calf to the neighbor. They showed her a week ago, 5 months old, first show and she got best in her class! Anyway, they all drank together etc. at this show and could have been that she got it from one of them?? He just told us last night that the calf had blood in her stools. He didn't test her tho! So we started worrying. None of ours has diahrea and have great appetites. So...You are saying that all we need to test are the calves, if one is positive, we treat whole herd. That's what I needed to know. I didn't want to bring in samples of the cows if I didn't have too. I did grab one of a first time heifer who's butt is real messy.
If we treat all 3 troughs and we let them go empty is that good enough. Or should we retreat troughs again? Also, if the calves are nursing will they drink Enough water to get rid of it or should we give them the crumbles too. We only have15 head in all. 5 are calves and we have someone coming to look at 2 of those to buy so I really would like to do it ASAP. Thanks Hooknline!!

Get a sample from the one you sold. Send it in. If positive you both should treat your entire herd. It's extremely contagious. It will go a Long way towards good karma with your neighbor too

the way i understand it all cattle have some of these germs in their system, but some never are affected & others due to stress or not as good of immune system do

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that is is automatically coccidiosis without a test. I have had calves show a bit of blood with mucus once or twice. It usually wasn't a big deal. I have dealt with coccidiosis and it is a real stinky mess.

I agree with everyone that the calf's poo should be tested.

Chippie, and we don't have any body with diahrea or scours or poor appetites. As soon as I can get some samples from the calves I'm going to bring them in. Haven't seen one go when I can go out and grab a sample. My husband watched this evening and none ever went! LoL. They are all running around bucking in the cooler weather. Donot appear to be sick but I want tobe sure. Thanks for yalls help.

colleen":26eumys4 said:
Chippie, and we don't have any body with diahrea or scours or poor appetites. As soon as I can get some samples from the calves I'm going to bring them in. Haven't seen one go when I can go out and grab a sample. My husband watched this evening and none ever went! LoL. They are all running around bucking in the cooler weather. Donot appear to be sick but I want tobe sure. Thanks for yalls help.
Get a sample from the neighbors calf that is being treated for coccidiosis and don;t bother with yours unless the other one comes back positive. But even then I wouldn;t bother doing yours unless they started showing signs of having it.

U just gave a clue to what might be wrong. If the calf is a show calf it possibly could be getting too hot a feed ration. It actually can damage the lining of the stomach and you will find blood in the stool. Is that possible? A 5 month old calf is usually still on mamma and the stomach is not fully ready for a full show feed ration.

They bought the calf when it was exactly 6 months. We had been feeding it the calf crumbles or the tiny little cubes for calves. We started it on those at 4 months old, along with nursing. We weaned her at about 6 months. They bought her a week later. Showed her a few weeks later. Not sure what or how they feed show calves. We don't show or know alot about what they do. I know he didn't test the calf for coocc. It really made me worry that we sold a calf and it was sick. I will suggest to him that maybe that is what could be wrong but first I am going to get the calves tested to rule out coccidiosis. Also the calf was really healthy. Fat and had an excellent appetite.
Thanks for the info!
Colleen

She will be 7 months on the 22nd. They treated her already for cocc. I think I am gona get a sample on a couple of ours just to be safe. It sure does sound like what you are saying. I'm not sure when they saw the blood in its poop. If it was right away or after they had her for several weeks. He just mentioned it to us day before. Thanks!

nothing i would worry about one way or the other, all carry that bug, most immune systems keep it from bothering them. once someone else changes things or stresses the calve it may show up

jerry27150":2lhrj0ee said:
nothing i would worry about one way or the other, all carry that bug, most immune systems keep it from bothering them. once someone else changes things or stresses the calve it may show up
That is exactly what the vet said Jerry!! Brought 3 samples in. No results yet but he said they all carry it and that little show calf went thru a lot of stress with weaning, vaccinations, halter breaking etc. all in the last 4 weeks.

Vet called but my husband,didn't get a lot of details because he was at work. Said some coccidiosis and tapeworms. Said it is very expensive to treat tapeworms and he would get back with us to figure out best treatment. I looked it up and it just says to use one of a few different dewormers. Is this a big expensive deal? WTF?

We have always used Valbazen for tapeworms, not that they are generally a big concern by themselves but it takes care of most other worms and flukes, too, and is relatively inexpensive. If you use the special drench gun (was for free with a purchase of so much of the Valbazen) it's very easy to dose and administer in the chute. You can use Panacur the same way but have to give the higher dose. Not sure why your vet thought it was going to be so spendy ($0.38 per 100# isn't outrageous).

Well he said some coccidiosis, not bad, tapeworms and some reg. worms. Mentioned boluses too. I hate doing that. Just want to drench them and be done. Do you use boluses before drenching with valbazen?