Clubby calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Holm, I have zero experience with this bull. Having said that, the picture of him on CV scares the shyt out of me! He is super bold in his shoulder (not uncommon in clubbies unfortunately) and his front toes point out more than forward. I would want to see plenty of videos of him and his offspring before I would pull the trigger on him....

Boot Jack Bulls":2ew5gg6b said:
Holm, I have zero experience with this bull. Having said that, the picture of him on CV scares the shyt out of me! He is super bold in his shoulder (not uncommon in clubbies unfortunately) and his front toes point out more than forward. I would want to see plenty of videos of him and his offspring before I would pull the trigger on him....

I have asked for videos and have looked but haven't seen anything as of now. I don't want anything to do with him without a video. I noticed his front feet looked a little toed out but couldn't really tell on my phone. His calves from heifer range in the 60-75lbs and he has had a few cows that had 80lbs calves.

Boot Jack Bulls":2deq0xhr said:
Who currently owns that bull?
I believe it was Joshua Kastel. By the sound of it he's really good to costumers and helping them out.

You must have searched the bull on steer planet too lol! That's what I read as well. The people there suggested talking to Josh. I would suggest the same! Sounds like that bull should work well on some sim-influenced females....If you have any of those hanging around! ;-)

Boot Jack Bulls":3av8dqir said:
You must have searched the bull on steer planet too lol! That's what I read as well. The people there suggested talking to Josh. I would suggest the same! Sounds like that bull should work well on some sim-influenced females....If you have any of those hanging around! ;-)

I have actually been messaging the guy a little. I first saw him on Facebook. He's got some good cattle.

We may have a few sim influenced heifers layin around haha. Only big commercial gals like this one though..

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3if5yzlb said:
Most "clubbies" do not have any milk. This guy should pass on milk to his daughters with that dam.
BW is ONE trait - size & shape affect CE.
Supposedly the calves come out pretty fine built and grow like weeds.. I'd say his daughters would have some milk. That cows udder is massive.

There is a few other non clubby bulls I have been looking at too.. I'll probably make another thread on them this evening. We havent done any AI for awhile and there is a lot of new bulls.

holm25":2rwr8suy said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2rwr8suy said:
Most "clubbies" do not have any milk. This guy should pass on milk to his daughters with that dam.
Supposedly the calves come out pretty fine built and grow like weeds.. I'd say his daughters would have some milk. That cows udder is massive.
The calves they pictured are far from what I would call "fine built". They are little tanks. Dam has more milk than I like on my cows, but is a great help for the clubby industry.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":11tz2aec said:
holm25":11tz2aec said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":11tz2aec said:
The calves they pictured are far from what I would call "fine built". They are little tanks. Dam has more milk than I like on my cows, but is a great help for the clubby industry.

Yes I'd have to agree. Very big shouldered and hipped.

As long as a calf can take care of all that milk I don't worry about it. But if they can't its a problem.

The problem with a cow with big udder is longevity. Hard for the udder to hold up. I will not keep a cow I need to assist the calf nursing!!! and sure don't want heifers out of her. I have one cow (purchased as a bred heifer) that has a large udder. So far, never had to help calf, but I use her as a recip so I'm not tempted to keep her daughters.

Just curious what you`re wanting to achieve by breeding to that bull ? Are you needing show calves, wanting blue roans or just wanting something different and stouter calves ?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1my8oje3 said:
The problem with a cow with big udder is longevity. Hard for the udder to hold up. I will not keep a cow I need to assist the calf nursing!!! and sure don't want heifers out of her. I have one cow (purchased as a bred heifer) that has a large udder. So far, never had to help calf, but I use her as a recip so I'm not tempted to keep her daughters.
Yep. We sold one over the summer who had a massive udder but her udder was starting to get a little sag to it. But she raised one hell of a calf each year. Never did keep any heifers out of her.

jd720":18g4smsf said:
Just curious what you`re wanting to achieve by breeding to that bull ? Are you needing show calves, wanting blue roans or just wanting something different and stouter calves ?
I've always wanted to raise a clubby calf or two. Have a big show group here and have family that shows so thought it might be fun to raise a good calf or two.

I haven`t seen any calves out of him but the Crowd Pleaser bull caught my eye and the way he`s bred should make some good heifers but I doubt many show steers. I have used his sire Bandwagon and got a really nice show heifer that`s doing a good job as a cow.

jd720":qixbbsl3 said:
I haven`t seen any calves out of him but the Crowd Pleaser bull caught my eye and the way he`s bred should make some good heifers but I doubt many show steers. I have used his sire Bandwagon and got a really nice show heifer that`s doing a good job as a cow.

What do those bandwagon calves weigh at birth? He's a sharp bull too

The heifer was 82# out of a Built Right cow. We also had a set of twins out of Bandwagon and the steer wound up in Wisconsin and did well at the shows up there which surprised me being a twin so I feel like he puts the look on his calves. The cows were not sale barn cows they were my better cows though and that's a huge part of it.

Latest posts