Clubby calves

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720":33d0pvsr said:
The heifer was 82# out of a Built Right cow. We also had a set of twins out of Bandwagon and the steer wound up in Wisconsin and did well at the shows up there which surprised me being a twin so I feel like he puts the look on his calves. The cows were not sale barn cows they were my better cows though and that's a huge part of it.
Yep the cows are a huge part of it. We are picking up a pretty darn nice Black Angus heifer soon. She's fancy but has a good broody look to her. Not sure I want to breed her to a clubby bull her first go around. She is a big girl. April calf and over 800lbs so I'm sure she would be fine but don't want to risk it.

As I mentioned, BW isn't usually the problem - it's the shape. All that blocky mass can be hard to get out. I have a friend that lived & breathed clubby. He "planned" on jacking every calf out. It was just a given. He has now switched to Simmental because he quit living with his cattle and is letting them be cows.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":271rpsa1 said:
As I mentioned, BW isn't usually the problem - it's the shape. All that blocky mass can be hard to get out. I have a friend that lived & breathed clubby. He "planned" on jacking every calf out. It was just a given. He has now switched to Simmental because he quit living with his cattle and is letting them be cows.
Yeah those club calves can be big blocks. Small but block. Nothing I hate more than using a calf puller. I don't mind pulling one by hand but using the pullet makes me nervous sometimes.

I don't own one, but they can be extremely helpful - just can't JACK the calf out. Need to tighten then just push down on the bar for leverage, then re-tighten.
Yeah, hard to get a small square box out of a small round hole.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2s6bkzdv said:
I don't own one, but they can be extremely helpful - just can't JACK the calf out. Need to tighten then just push down on the bar for leverage, then re-tighten.
Yeah, hard to get a small square box out of a small round hole.

If you don't know what you're doing you can f up a cow and calf in a hurry.

There is two other bulls I'm looking at. Both Angus bulls. Talked to a breeder that uses one of them on heifers and he said it's one of the most heifer safe bulls he's used. He throws some dandy heifers.

https://cattlevisions.com/detail.php?Bu ... bulltype=2

Looks "pretty", but I don't know Angus EPD's. Will he give you throw-away heifers, or heifers that will fit in your program.
I do recognize Northern Improvement. Was used heavily in the Simmental breed for 1/2 bloods. Obviously, he produced great cattle, because people used him a lot.

Slider is a "go-to" calving ease sire for clubby breeders. You don't see many of his offspring in the show ring, but I have never heard complaints on lack of calving ease from him.

What do those bandwagon calves weigh at birth? He's a sharp bull too
I know a few things about bandwagon, he has beautiful depth to him but the calves grow so slowly, I've seen his momma, one nice cow, hes quite small also, he was only 1200 at yearling and you can expect calves to be smaller than the bull. One bull that mindbender sired stood out to me because hes actually a mindbender calf but is out of a bandwagon cow, and dang is he nice, he's called blue collar boy. we did use mind bender on our run for the roses heifer, she had her calf in about an hour and that thing was up and running in hours. She's the prettiest blue roan color and seems correct (you can't judge calves much when they're young). She was about 65 pounds when she was born, I'm not complaining about that for sure. We've also got another mindbender calf due, but I'm not sure if it's only one calf, she's so large and she's had a couple of calves before, none of them made her so big, she is a MAB cow so her calves are usually colorful though.

Latest posts