Club calf bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF

Reaction score
Toying with the thought of buying a Hereford heifer to raise some club calves with so my daughter will have something other than an angus to show. What club calf bull would you use on a Hereford to produce some flashy calves? The heifer we are looking at is pretty complete overall for the Hereford phenotype. She does have a little extra white and some of the red drops over her poll.

Depends on if your wanting to show steers or heifers. For steers Heat Wave would be hard to beat but the heifers out of him usually don`t ever make a decent cow.

I know nothing about club calves but here goes what I heard about Heat Wave is don't use him on heifers. Abs has some nice bulls Like premonition if you want to keep it Hereford 2 cents.

Yeah I wasn't paying attention to the heifer part. Don`t use Heat Wave on a heifer but maybe later on. Most clubby bulls aren't heifer safe. I`ve used I-80 on a heifers no problems but not sure what that would do on a Hereford you might try I-80 for a safe first calf though.

We picked out the heifer today and will get her at the end of the month. She isn't papered so I'm not really interested in keeping it Hereford we raise Reg Angus and my daughter wanted something different to show after seeing a Man Among Boys heifer at the last fair. There is a few heifer safe clubby bulls from what I've heard im new to it all myself though. And I would rather have a bull that can make either as you never know what you will get. We did go with a different heifer once we got there today and she looked them over better. The one she picked is longer and deep and tracks much better than the one we originally liked from looking from afar...

For a first calf, I would go with a calving ease purebred. After that, you can start having some fun with matings. Even though she is hereford, it may be worth making sure you know her defect status. For more detailed suggestions, check with the folks at steerplanet. They know the game well over there.

Thanks BJB I was hoping you may chime in. I planned on keeping it defect free regardless. Her first calf will probably just be something Angus I have in the tank. After that I hope to use some bulls that we can have fun with and that are neg on the carrier statuses, I know that limits me a lot though.

LRAF, check out the Slider bull from Competitive Edge Genetics. He is a double clean purebred angus, proven heifer safe. Might be a really good place to start for first calf.

For colored up, double clean bulls look at Run for the Roses (unproven), Sioux Empire (Hereford marked, unproven), Dakota Gold (proven).