cloudy eyed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

nccattle

Reaction score
Last week we worked (tagged, vitamin shot, banded) a 24hr old calf. The next day we found him both eyes clouded over and blind as a bat. He couldn't see to nurse and momma wouldn't stay in the pen with him. We are currently bottle feeding and have given him LA 200 twice. His right eye might be clearing up a little. I need any suggestions or remedies. Thanks.

It may clear up. I have had one or two that were like that but only one eye. They did clear up. I've never had one with both that way. Can he see any from the one that's clearing?

I had one that started out cloudy in both eyes, then it got to where the eyes were pure white.....looked like ice cubes. After lots of antibiotics they looked somewhat better, but they remained cloudy and he never could see. We bottle fed him for a few weeks, but he never did thrive, and finally died. Hope it works out better for y'all.

We had a similar thing this spring. Evidently some systemic infection. This heifer calf was perfect the first day - so it seemed - and cloudy and blind within 2 days, sick acting also. We used Nuflor and they started clearing up and it perked up quickly. Had to be bottle-fed, but is now a healthy heifer in with the rest of our herd. First time for us also. Hope it works out well for you.

Latest posts