clipping under electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

I just cant make myself spray roundup under a fence. The soils always erodes where I spray, and what grows back is only weeds. I do hit mine heavy with remedy a couple times a year though. I don't mind grass growing under them, but I hate bushes and weeds.

I weedeat under fence you can see from house, about 3 times a year. Ive been experimenting with putting my son on a hay bale, in the back of a trailer. I drive real slow, and he weed eats as we go. We usually have to make 2 passes down each side to get it all. I feel lazy doing it, but its so fast, and so effortless, I just can't resist.

I will gladly look at brown dead lines all day long my time and body is more valuable than looks. If I were not a sprayer and a weedeater at the least I would have one of those push weedeaters.

I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE WHEELED STRING TRIMMERS.....
wish I had that money back....
most aggravating machine on the farm.
Goes thru strings like Grant went thru Richmond....
I am thinking about getting one of the stihl blade weedeaters....
have used the bushog a bunch but generally spend a few minutes (or More) fixing fence using that method.
mine got away from me when I did not have goats.....we are gradually reclaiming it now....

pdfangus":yctylq78 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seems to me that string isnt built like it used to be now if you smack something hard one time the strings fragile as glass. It would be nice if it had some sort of metal cable

I actually tried a thin piece of cable and it did not last much better and was hard on the machine...finding a way to hook the cable to the machine was difficult...never did it successfully.

pdfangus":2rzxeosp said:
I actually tried a thin piece of cable and it did not last much better and was hard on the machine...finding a way to hook the cable to the machine was difficult...never did it successfully.

That stinks... I thought the cable would help.

pdfangus":3ev3jvxo said:
have used the bushog a bunch but generally spend a few minutes (or More) fixing fence using that method.
mine got away from me when I did not have goats.....we are gradually reclaiming it now....
A neighbor has one of those, the DR Trimmer one. It really works good, in the few areas that the ground is even enough that he can use it. He weed eats with the Stihl metal blade a whole lot more then he uses the DR.

Bigfoot":m2piy5ab said:
I just cant make myself spray roundup under a fence. The soils always erodes where I spray, and what grows back is only weeds. I do hit mine heavy with remedy a couple times a year though. I don't mind grass growing under them, but I hate bushes and weeds.

I weedeat under fence you can see from house, about 3 times a year. Ive been experimenting with putting my son on a hay bale, in the back of a trailer. I drive real slow, and he weed eats as we go. We usually have to make 2 passes down each side to get it all. I feel lazy doing it, but its so fast, and so effortless, I just can't resist.
I am a flatlander, erosion is not a problem here. I spray several feet either side of some of my fences because I don't like the cows sticking their heads thru or under the wires trying to get to grass under or just beyond the fence. I live far enough back from civilization, that I just don't care if there is a brown or bare line under the fences. I sure don't want to see this:
(Not my picture, but you get the idea)

greener-grass.jpg

dun":322lahjw said:
pdfangus":322lahjw said:
A neighbor has one of those, the DR Trimmer one. It really works good, in the few areas that the ground is even enough that he can use it. He weed eats with the Stihl metal blade a whole lot more then he uses the DR.

probab;y where I screwed up is that i bought the knock off from Tractor Supply.... :bang:

GB thats exactly why I blast the other side to prevent stuff like that. PDF I would have bought one there too because not many other places carry them.

dun":1acpsvn5 said:
I have cleaned off a lot of over grown fenceline with a Stihl powerhead and brush blade. (I use the saw blade tho--not the 4 bladed thing.)
Most of what I had/have is creepers and vines--green briar and a lot of young yaupon (yaupon is related to Holley in the plant world classification) I cut a while, then rake it out with landscape rake and pitchfork, then spray the whole area down with remedy/glyco mixture, then move down and cut some more. That, treats the little stumps and 99% of it won't grow back. Yes--it's labor intensive, but I don't have to do it but once--just spray after it's cut back.
My sister has one of those DR trimmer/brush cutter things-- I'm forever having to go over and put the belt back on for her.
I view those things like some (most) of my ex girlfriends--ok around the house but ya don't want to get further out with than that.

greybeard":24sb38v7 said:
dun":24sb38v7 said:
I have cleaned off a lot of over grown fenceline with a Stihl powerhead and brush blade. (I use the saw blade tho--not the 4 bladed thing.)
Most of what I had/have is creepers and vines--green briar and a lot of young yaupon (yaupon is related to Holley in the plant world classification) I cut a while, then rake it out with landscape rake and pitchfork, then spray the whole area down with remedy/glyco mixture, then move down and cut some more. That, treats the little stumps and 99% of it won't grow back. Yes--it's labor intensive, but I don't have to do it but once--just spray after it's cut back.
My sister has one of those DR trimmer/brush cutter things-- I'm forever having to go over and put the belt back on for her.
I view those things like some (most) of my ex girlfriends--ok around the house but ya don't want to get further out with than that.
Once the wodody stuff gets over a half inch or so I use the saw blade on the Stihl trimmer too. Bigger then an inch and a half or so I use a pole saw.

We have a stihl brushcutter with the 4 toothed metal blade, we drilled holes in it and rivet new sicklebar cutter knives on it.. cuts WAY better, and much cheaper to replace... you will break the rivets if you hit a rock hard though.

I've been really looking at those pole hedge trimmers, we have a lot of wild roses (rosehips) growing in the fencelines here, and I'd love to get rid of them, I think they'd do the trick nicely... there are some available (chinese of course) for about $150, I was thinking of trying them out.

I have a Yazoo mower, 36" deck with a 10hp briggs, it works pretty good for clearing fencelines, as long as you don't have irrigation lines running along it (like I always do).

Years ago I had an old Mastercraft 2 stroke lawnmower, it was totally rusted out, had only 1 setting (full throttle) at about 5000 RPM, but it was super light.. especially after I cut the whole front half of the deck off and put bigger rear wheels on it.
THAT was a fence trimming machine!, you could go up to a briar patch and pretty much walk into it, it would handle big old alfalfa bunches, you didn't have to lift it over obstacles, and for sidehills, etc it was light enough you could stand at the top and with just 1 arm roll it up and down. I really want to find one of those again! Full face shield not optional after the modifications I did of course!

Nesikep":2y5wix60 said:
I've been really looking at those pole hedge trimmers, we have a lot of wild roses (rosehips) growing in the fencelines here, and I'd love to get rid of them, I think they'd do the trick nicely... there are some available (chinese of course) for about $150, I was thinking of trying them out.
I bought one of these, works pretty good on blackberry, heavier brush type sticker stuff and the stuff on somebody elses property that is getting a little too close...

The same exact thing I bought at Walmart for $80, is $100 at Lowe's

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21414-65481...ch=hedge+trimmer+attachment&productId=3701730

Kell, the one I was looking at was the whole unit... blackberry grows thicker than most rosehips, though may be a little bit easier to cut... Even if I can't cut it right to the ground, I could give it a serious 'buzz cut' and prevent it from taking over the entire fence

dun":3fmen7yn said:
The last option with a slight modification. Stihl has a 4 lobed brush cutter blade, that's what I use. And instead of just safety glasses I use my logging helmet with the face shield and hearing protection.

I bought a logging helmet this week and used it while cutting wood today. I wish I'd bought one years ago. It was 90+ degrees but there was plenty of air between my head and helmet. I still had plenty of sweat dripping in my eyes but it was so much easier to wipe than wearing glasses.

Supa Dexta":36xp5lgn said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-xB6cR-G8

Germany really brings their A game in most any segment
They do. That's why they are the #3 exporting nation.

That thing is sweet..

Latest posts