clipping under electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
Between normal rainfall and cutting the herd back, I've got some fences that are overgrown. Several I need to clip and add a couple more wires to hold the goats. The worst fences have some brush growing up close to the fence, therefore the most need to fence for the goats.

What are my best options?
I have an old pull-behind sickle bar but if I get too close it's a bear to back up and pull around a post. Therefore, I can't get under the fence.
Get a small bush hog?
Get a rotary mower attachment for the skid steer?
Get the safety glasses out and brush cutter on the weed whip?

The last option with a slight modification. Stihl has a 4 lobed brush cutter blade, that's what I use. And instead of just safety glasses I use my logging helmet with the face shield and hearing protection.

Dun, I've got the Stihl with that blade. And I really like the idea of the full face shield.

How high is your bottom strand off the ground. I've got a walk behind bushhog that finally bit the dust. I took the back wheel off of a 5 foot bushhog, and just back it up under my electric fence. I can hit it at an angle, and get several feet at a time. Little rough on me because I can't turn my head. I hold a rear view mirror to do it.

Currently the fence line I need most to clean out is 16-18 inches off the ground. I need to add another line at 10 inches, then another line between the current bottom and next line. And I need to make them all hot.

I'd use round-up on a fine day, directly under the fence-line.
I do that about once a year on fences that are only grazed on one side, the long dead grass seems to prevent anything else germinating for a good long while. Might need something stronger if there's brushweeds there too.

I sometimes do kind of what bigfoot described too, though his machine sounds very different to my mower. Backing up on a slight angle between the fenceposts can get quite a lot of it.

How about burning it this fall? If you can't and have to cut it definitely wear some ear and eye protection. I've been battling eye issues all summer from not wearing protective eye gear when cutting brush.

5995717.JPG

I Have an old weed sling I used this past weekend to clean up pig weed in the cow lot. It brought back a lot of memories of cleaning out from under fences growing up. and I think that it had and impact on why I do not enjoy golf to this day.

M-5":2o50ppbh said:
5995717.JPG

I Have an old weed sling I used this past weekend to clean up pig weed in the cow lot. It brought back a lot of memories of cleaning out from under fences growing up. and I think that it had and impact on why I do not enjoy golf to this day.

Again different lingo, around here we call that a idiot stick. That's what you look like using it. :lol2:
Whatever you use. Once you get it clean. Round up once a year.

A word of caution if you;re usaing a weedwacker, make sure not to touch the wire with the shaft. Surprising how well you can get bit even with the rubber handles on the wacker.

dun":3ney8fr9 said:
A word of caution if you;re usaing a weedwacker, make sure not to touch the wire with the shaft. Surprising how well you can get bit even with the rubber handles on the wacker.

Yeah, I shut it off when possible, I've been bit. Usually get zapped when I'm soaking wet so I feel it all over.

No Roundup under my fences. I'll use it around buildings where I want nothing to grow. I want grass under my fences. Once these are fenced to hold my goats, I won't have much of a problem with them getting overgrown again.

Burning won't work in the fall and would make it susceptible to erosion if it would burn. I do rotate burning fencelines as they start to greenup in the spring.

Cant tell you the model but check out a Still weedeater head with detachable shaft that had a hedge trimmer type cutter. I can trim under the fence as I walk with it. Will cut briars and brush up to 1" or so. It also has several other attachments but only other one I have is a pole saw. It works great also.

Kenny, I never knew about some of those attachments. It looks like the Power Scythe is what you are talking about. I like how the reviews say it lays the grass down instead of throwing it around. I'm going to have to price one of those.

Aaron":1pf24ake said:
Fellow I know bought one of these at an auction we were both at in MN.

http://www.fencemower.com/products_fm60.asp

It was brand new, still in the crate. Think he paid $600. I should see if he ever used it and if he liked it.

We have one, and it actually works well. You just have to play with the tension spring some, because what works well for T-posts, does not necessarily work on the fiberglass electric posts.

greatgerts":tg0smf8p said:
Aaron":tg0smf8p said:

It was brand new, still in the crate. Think he paid $600. I should see if he ever used it and if he liked it.

We have one, and it actually works well. You just have to play with the tension spring some, because what works well for T-posts, does not necessarily work on the fiberglass electric posts.
I can buy a lot of roundup and remedy ultra for $3000.00.

Aaron":2yhmibwg said:

That looks awesome, I would give $600 for that all day long. I have a LOT of fence I don't want to spray, mostly 4 board fence, but some cross fencing too, this would be a huge time saver VS weedeating. I don't like looking out the window and seeing dead lines running through the fields personally, though my perimeter looks like that mostly.

Kell-inKY":34y0hr9p said:
Aaron":34y0hr9p said:

That looks awesome, I would give $600 for that all day long. I have a LOT of fence I don't want to spray, mostly 4 board fence, but some cross fencing too, this would be a huge time saver VS weedeating. I don't like looking out the window and seeing dead lines running through the fields personally, though my perimeter looks like that mostly.

a homemade one would be fairly simple to build with a old mower deck and a spare gear box

Latest posts