Clipping pastures.....

Help Support CattleToday:

I hadn't clipped pasture in years. I spray for weeds and rotate. If a field starts to get ahead too far, I cut it for hay. Made a little pasture hay last year. See no way this year.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:
I hadn't clipped pasture in years. I spray for weeds and rotate. If a field starts to get ahead too far, I cut it for hay. Made a little pasture hay last year. See no way this year.

You might want to consider mowing occasionally. Some think it promotes growth.

I followed that advice up until now. Fescue is going to go dormant in the summer. Nothing will stop that. Bermuda is coming on now. I let the cows clip that as I rotate.

I am going to wait until fall rains to clip. I want to see if letting tall grass stand will retain moisture better through the dry summer months.

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:

I followed that advice up until now. Fescue is going to go dormant in the summer. Nothing will stop that. Bermuda is coming on now. I let the cows clip that as I rotate.

I am going to wait until fall rains to clip. I want to see if letting tall grass stand will retain moisture better through the dry summer months.

Every climate is different. No Bermuda up my way.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

True. What summer grass do you have?

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:

True. What summer grass do you have?

Weeds.

Latest posts