Clint Eastwood vs. John Wayne

Help Support CattleToday:

Now we are getting off subject with picking other actors. I think there are 40 or 50 actors better than either one. Let's be honest. If you are looking at acting in complex roles, neither one of these guys could hold a candle to Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, etc.

I just watched Lawrence of Arabia the other night. Man, you see what acting is when you watch Claude Rains and Alec Quinness.

Dave":2vzvawmu said:
Clint Eastwood vs John Wayne ????? In what manner?

A fist fight I am taking John Wayne. I believe that he was the bigger and strong of the two.

In a gun fight I am taking Clint. He just seems quicker and meaner.

A knife fight? It is a toss up. John would try to punch Clint who would try to go for a gun....... if John lands the punch he wins. If Clint gets ahold of the gun he wins.

At handling cattle? I know that yelling, screaming and shooting your pistol in the air doesn't work so I don't think I would want either one of them around when I was working cows.

As actors? What they really do for a living. I enjoy the work both of them have done. But I think that Clint has play a wider spectrum of roles in his acting career and has done a better job of that.

John Wayne was actually a very good cattleman. Owned lots of Herefords ( bar 26 ranch I Think)

My pick Is both. Each has there own way and each was very successful. We need more People like these two in todays world.

One of my favorite sayings is from John Wayne ( were burning daylight )

JHH":2dsltm6b said:
Dave":2dsltm6b said:
Clint Eastwood vs John Wayne ????? In what manner?

A fist fight I am taking John Wayne. I believe that he was the bigger and strong of the two.

In a gun fight I am taking Clint. He just seems quicker and meaner.

A knife fight? It is a toss up. John would try to punch Clint who would try to go for a gun....... if John lands the punch he wins. If Clint gets ahold of the gun he wins.

At handling cattle? I know that yelling, screaming and shooting your pistol in the air doesn't work so I don't think I would want either one of them around when I was working cows.

As actors? What they really do for a living. I enjoy the work both of them have done. But I think that Clint has play a wider spectrum of roles in his acting career and has done a better job of that.

John Wayne was actually a very good cattleman. Owned lots of Herefords ( bar 26 ranch I Think)

My pick Is both. Each has there own way and each was very successful. We need more People like these two in todays world.

I second that emotion. :nod:

inyati13":2vthufzk said:
3waycross":2vthufzk said:
I will go with Eastwood. To me he is/was a lot less contrived.
He is a lot more versatile!
1. Think about this 3way. Sit Clint down at a table with a patch over his eye playing cards with a chinaman and think how silly he would be. Wayne did that in True Grit and was endearing and funny at that.

2. Put Clint with Robert Mitchum in El Dorado and have him put a Winchester over his shoulder and swagger down the street. He would look silly.

You can go on and on. Think about Searchers. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Red River etc. Eastwood is not more versatile, he is less versatile in my opinion.

IMPORTANT: Whayne could interact with another actor. Eastwood cannot. Eastwood can confront or intimidate, etc. That is what made him. But in no role I can remember could he interact. For example, Whayne could play with a sidekick like Walter Brennan and not seem goofy. When Eastwood plays it has to be as a dominant independant. He has not skill to seem real when he really has to act. Like someone said, he had good scripts, but they are basically all the same. A dominant, independant force. He never was able to share the screen. He tried, i.e., what ever that goofy movie was with Burt Reynolds. And in the Oranutang movies he had a side kick of sorts but those could not be compared to Whaynes numerous side kicks like Walter Brennan, etc.

Think about Eastwood in White Hunter, Black heart trying to be John Huston. As Bigfort said he looked goofy. And I loved those spagetti movies when they came out and I saw them the first time in a theater. But I cannot even sit for 5 minutes on one now. Like Bigfoot, they are so goofy.

I like Hang Em High, Wales, Unforgiven. Other than that t is hard to watch Eastwood reruns. Wayne on the other hand, I can still watch a lot of them.
you ever see Paint your wagon?? when he acted under his company malpaso that was the case, he had his own posse of actors to..

The all time greatest in my book would have to be Robert Duvall as Augustus McCrae in Lonesome Dove.
I think Duvall beat's them both.
I don't think anyone has topped that one yet.

I will say this and it's no way a knock Wayne, I thought the later true grit movie with Jeff Bridges was better the John Wayne's true grit.

Alan":1dbobbod said:
I will say this and it's no way a knock Wayne, I thought the later true grit movie with Jeff Bridges was better the John Wayne's true grit.
really :shock: the only person i thought did a good job in that was the girl .... i like Bridges.. but he sucked in that

Alan":2aewaol2 said:
Are you kidding. I read a comment by Bridges that trying to act like Wayne was the hardest thing he ever did. He admitted it may be impossible to act like Wayne.

JHH":tqu1drwz said:
One of my favorite sayings is from John Wayne ( were burning daylight )
Only if it was he that wrote the script.

What this thread is really about is
"Which played the more memorable characters and had the most memorable trait and mannerisms on screen?"

It's certainly not about "which is the better actor?". Take JW out of the war/western genre and he was terrible with his acting.
Brannigan--McQ--Hatari--even The Hellfighters. His character in Green Berets was horrible and it was so unrealistic I couldn't believe they filmed it, but then too, he directed, had himself in mind for lead, and arranged financing for it. It's the characters he played that come to mind as well as the euphemisms associated with him in the type casting he fell victim to that we remember. I do like his movies' characters, and I like to think there are people out there who posses the traits he showed in most of his characters, but as an actor, it's kind of a "If you've seen one John Wayne movie, you've seen 'em all" thing. Nominated for 3 academy awards--won only one in a 20+ year career.

The same could be said of Clint Eastwood in his early films--spahgetti westerns, but he evolved into a lot more. Nominated for 11 academy awards and won 5 for either best pic, best director or best film. His depth is much more than Wayne's was.
Both are right of center politically, with JW an avowed conservative, and Eastwood a "Libertarian" that supported both McCain and Reagan.
Publicly describes Obama as a "nice guy that can't and won't govern, surrounds himself with poor advisors, and is moving the country in the wrong direction".
I'll take Eastwood.

ALACOWMAN":1u7827yf said:
Alan":1u7827yf said:
really :shock: the only person i thought did a good job in that was the girl .... i like Bridges.. but he sucked in that

I really liked the girl, but I give the edge to Jeff bridges. I knew it would rub some die hard old western fans the wrong way :mrgreen: . I didn't care to much for Matt Damon's role, but thought josh brolin and the guy that played Ned Pepper did a good job.

Now no one can come close to Wayne's role in the cowboys ...... But then again Bruce Dern is an actor you love to hate.

ALACOWMAN":1dzo93bl said:
one of the worst attempts at acting was Johnny Cash you wanted him to be good but it wasnt meant to be

X2 he was really bad, never cared for Chris Krisofferson either. Seems like to two of them made a really bad western together.

That's the other part of the equation Alan. The supporting actors (actresses) make the star what they are more often than not. Walter Brennan really was a great actor, but never got the big leading roles due to his appearance, but he made a ton of movies in which he made the lead actor look really good--that's why they are called "supporting" actors.
I did tho, get really tired of seeing Ward Bond/John Wayne and Susan Locke/Clint Eastwood combos.
Gabby Hayes was a good example who worked well with Roy Rogers, Hopalong, and John Wayne early on to help further their careers. Dag Nab it!

If I want to see an actor that could REALLY act and make you believe it--I'll watch Casablanca, Key Largo, or The African Queen. It gets no better, but that's off topic.

Bogart, one of the all time best as is the African Queen. I also like Jack Palance in Shane, great bad guy!

Latest posts