Clearing brushy areas--need herbicide recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm":2y8bi94b said:
Well from an ole boy that live's in the thicket mix one gallon of 2-4-D- with a half gallon of Remedy to 100 gallon's of water. It will take it all out except the grass. Get you a good boomless sprayer anywhere the tractor can go or run over it is dead.

Thanks for posting this. I already have some 2 4 D but it doesn't seem powerful enough by itself. I'm going to look for some Remedy to add with it. we have a 60 gallon sprayer with a hand nozzle, its on the back of our 50 h cabless tractor.

Will the Remedy kill cedar saplings? Grazon doesn't seem to touch them.....

Grazon won't touch those cedar's, now remedy mixed with diesel will kill them Black Flag dead.

Why not just have some spike 20p flown on. There is a new generic that just came out that works just the same. Less time and effort put into the property and you get total control of the woody species you want eliminated?

LauraleesFarm":go4v0icb said:
Well from an ole boy that live's in the thicket mix one gallon of 2-4-D- with a half gallon of Remedy to 100 gallon's of water. It will take it all out except the grass. Get you a good boomless sprayer anywhere the tractor can go or run over it is dead.

Thanks for posting this. I already have some 2 4 D but it doesn't seem powerful enough by itself. I'm going to look for some Remedy to add with it. we have a 60 gallon sprayer with a hand nozzle, its on the back of our 50 h cabless tractor.

Will the Remedy kill cedar saplings? Grazon doesn't seem to touch them.....

personally what I use for my 30 gallon want sprayer on brushy areas I put in 2.5 gallons of 24d and same of glyphosate 1 bottle of any dish detergent then fill the sprayer if you put it on brush or grass in the morning of a day its gonna be hot by sundown its already started to curl up I spray it heavy around my fence lines I hate a dirty fence line and maybe thats over kill but thats what I do.

Sweetgum (and probably cedar too) is going to just wilt a little at glyphosate and 2,4-d. I know for a fact the gum here in E Texas will--it may turn a little black around the leaf edges, but that's all.

Dakotaslim":1wnwjhr4 said:
Some people use cattle to eat the weeds. They can be taught to eat stuff you would never image a cow would eat. Once they learn, they keep the weeds in check, even brush and thorny plants. Save a lot of money on herbicides. I taught mine to eat wormwood and it worked really well.
http://www.livestockforlandscapes.com/cowmanagers.htm
Some weeds yes--but not chinese tallow.

Chinese Tallow:
Toxic Agent
The toxic agent is unknown. The terminal leaves and green fruit have a strong purgative effect on the bowels of cattle. The consumption of 1 percent of an animal's weight in green plant material can produce clinical signs within 12 to 14 hours. Losses may occur when cattle are forced to consume significant amounts of the plant in the seedpod stage. Sheep and goats are not affected significantly.

These trees are more significant as a cause of decreased forage production than as a toxic plant.

Signs of Livestock Ingestion
The signs of poisoning are associated with gastrointestinal disorder and may include:

Diarrhea (sometimes with free blood; Anorexia; Listlessness; Weakness; Dehydration.
But, In all my years , I have never seen a cow or calf even try to eat tallow leaves--not even in drought years--they will eat sweetgum tho.

Latest posts