Cleaning up scrapes and other supplies to keep on hand

Help Support CattleToday:

canoetrpr

Reaction score
This morning I found that one of my two cows had a scrape around her elbow joint. Not sure where she got it. Realized that I ought to have some supplies on hand for such things and for some basic assistance during calving.

Realistically given I have no experience, if I have a calving problem, I will have to bite the bullet and pay for a vet. There are a couple cattle people around but no one I know well enough to call upon in the middle of the night. I can get advice from where I purchases my cows over the phone but he is a couple hrs away.

Given this information, I would appreciate your thoughts on what I should keep on hand. I'm guessing it won't hurt to have:
something to clean and disinfect wounds, some sort of disinfectant soap for myself to clean up before I help pull a calf?, OB gloves, chains and lubricant in case I can find someone to help me and save a vet call. Anything else?

The breeder I bought my cows from is amiable to coming over when it is time to tag and steer my first cows at 6 months. I plan to vaccinate and worm by myself and may have to get the vet to show me how the first time. I ended up buying a basic chute.

Will appreciate any thoughts you can offer.

Latest posts