City taxes on cell phone on county residents.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
This has be bothering me for years , today had time to ask questions. I Iive in the county I am being charge city taxes on my cell phone. The wireless company does not have equipment or office in the city. They said they could because the zip was from that city. Instructed me to go to the city to get my refund it was up to the city to take care of it. I went down, they said the wireless co. could not charge taxes because they had no franchis from the city. To collect taxes they had to have a franchis. Called the wireless back which was in Georgia they told me they could not send the document that authorized to collect taxes, but they were legal to collect taxes.
Comments please:

I am no legal expert but if the city is not reaping anything out of the taxes they are charging I dont see how it could be legal. Just what we need anyway are more taxes huh?

Circle H Ranch

If they are collecting the taxes but not paying them to the city, you would think the city would pursue that. Maybe the state attorney general would take an interest? They generally love that consumer protection stuff because it makes them look so good come election time.

No, Kenny what I'm wanting to do is have everyone pay me a dollar a month for the right to own a cell phone and a dollar a head for every cow that sold and just a dime a pound for cotton delivered to a gin. Each month I'll give out three free cell phones to people that can't afford them cause as you well know I'm just trying to help people out. :mrgreen:

I think what you are seeing is one of the many hidden taxes they have come up with to fund the burgeoning bureaucracy of state and local governments with declining tax revenues. Rather than cutting spending they have implemented a wide array of hidden charges that most people do not see or are ignorant of. I suspect the person you spoke to is either ignorant of the city's windfall or is a liar. Just think, with the average cell phone tax at 16% nationwide and Big O's idea of counting a business phone usage as personal taxable income based on the gross cost of use - just think how much this will stimulate the tax flow. :lol2:

Here is a link that might be helpful.

http://mywireless.org/issues/view/wirel ... rness-act/

Cattleman200":2z7sl5xf said:
...Just what we need anyway are more taxes huh?

Circle H Ranch
I received this email a few weeks ago:
I bet this is change you didn't expect!!!!!!!
Will you ever sell your house?
Did you know that if you sell your house after 2012 you will pay a 3.8% sales tax on it?
That's $3,800 on a $100,000 home etc.
When did this happen? It's in the health care bill. Just thought you should know.
SALES TAX TO GO INTO EFFECT 2013 (Part of HC Bill) Why 2013? Could it be to come to light AFTER the 2012 elections?
REAL ESTATE SALES TAX
So, this is "change you can believe in"?
Under the new health care bill - did you know that all real estate transactions will be subject to a 3.8% Sales Tax? The bulk of these new taxes don't kick in until 2013 If you sell your $400,000 home, there will be a $15,200 tax. This bill is set to screw the retiring generation who often downsize their homes. Does this stuff make your November and 2012 vote more important?
Oh, you weren't aware this was in the obamacare bill? Guess what, you aren't alone. There are more than a few members of Congress that aren't aware of it either ..... click on this to verify ......
http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/04/08/obamac ... taxes-home <http://www.gop.gov/blog/10/04/08/obamacare-flatlines-obamacare-taxes-home>

Why am I sending you this? The same reason I hope you forward this to every single person in your address book. VOTERS NEED TO KNOW.

Call your AG.......then keep paying your bill..............I don't know what else to tell you.........:( It ain't good..........from what I know and can tell..........:(

Several years back they changed everyone's mailing addresses to 911 addresses. You don't see "Route 2, Box 123" any more. Since that time, cities have collected a variety of illegal taxes. I fought the cell phone ordeal years ago and lost.

backhoeboogie":3se0mk1t said:
Several years back they changed everyone's mailing addresses to 911 addresses. You don't see "Route 2, Box 123" any more. Since that time, cities have collected a variety of illegal taxes. I fought the cell phone ordeal years ago and lost.
When they did that here, it changed a lot of stuff. I live in one county and my mail comes from a town in the adjoining county so I have their zipcode. When I get my plate renewals it always has the wrong county listed. I make them change it every time, but the state's computer system 'corrects' it again. :roll: But, that means all my jury duty notices also come from the wrong county. One phone call and I'm off the list for another year. :)

Got the city tax corrected. Verizon were and have for many years been collecting illegal. Reguired to have a franchise from a city to collect they did not. Second we and may more do not live in the city. They were using Zip to determine the city. Half the county has the same zip, only 3 zips in county.

there was a big stink about this in the greene county area of Mo a few yrs ago had to do with the 911 syatem and city taxes
if you got your cell phone in Springfield at the company owned store you were charged for 900 and city taxes heck I didn't live in tha same county and they were charging me the city tax and the 911 fee for greene county
the AG got involved and they had to reimbuse all of the tax money and 911 tax
The check i recieved back was enough to pay my phone bill for a month and a half because been on their service for about 2 yrs at the time
if I remember correctly I got a check from the city of Springfield and Greene county not the phone company

Latest posts