City Guy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":1emk4av8 said:
farmerjan":1emk4av8 said:
True Grit Farms":1emk4av8 said:
Well as dumb as some of his or her questions were, I thought they were plausible from just reading a book. But then to argue with folks that have hands on experience of what really works and what doesn't is just plain stupid.

I agree they were plausible from only reading books and you are 100000% right that it was TOTALLY out of line to argue with those that have been there done that. Maybe that is why I got a little more explicit in my reply when he questioned the calving in winter thing....Got tired of him putting down people who have legit concerns, questions etc. And Kell inKY was asking a very legit question about that calf since she was unable to take care of it and didn't want to unnecessarily bother her dad who lived quite a bit away from her.

He was persistent but none of the posts I read would I consider rude, mean-spirited, foul-mouthed etc.

I also disagree with True Grit that he "argued". To me he tried to test his understanding albeit based on his reading and other experiences at arms length from the vocation of animal husbandry.

I was raised on a tobacco farm. We used draft horses and had a small dairy. Our milk was shipped in ten gallon cans to a cheese plant in Cynthiana, KY. My father whom I mentored under growing up was raised on a farm that had a large dairy. Based on his experience, you might assume he was one you could learn from. Fact is, by today's standards, his knowledge was not progressive. When I began my cattle operation, he was convinced that minerals were a waste of money. I have had to "unlearn" a lot of what I grew up believing. So experience can be bad or it can be good.

Personally, I think you could only be offended by City Guy because you allowed yourself to be offended. He was very benign in my opinion.

Says the guy on his third chance. CG was a AH and thought he was smarter than anyone else.

jedstivers":2zyw6jws said:
Bright Raven":2zyw6jws said:
farmerjan":2zyw6jws said:
I agree they were plausible from only reading books and you are 100000% right that it was TOTALLY out of line to argue with those that have been there done that. Maybe that is why I got a little more explicit in my reply when he questioned the calving in winter thing....Got tired of him putting down people who have legit concerns, questions etc. And Kell inKY was asking a very legit question about that calf since she was unable to take care of it and didn't want to unnecessarily bother her dad who lived quite a bit away from her.

He was persistent but none of the posts I read would I consider rude, mean-spirited, foul-mouthed etc.

I also disagree with True Grit that he "argued". To me he tried to test his understanding albeit based on his reading and other experiences at arms length from the vocation of animal husbandry.

I was raised on a tobacco farm. We used draft horses and had a small dairy. Our milk was shipped in ten gallon cans to a cheese plant in Cynthiana, KY. My father whom I mentored under growing up was raised on a farm that had a large dairy. Based on his experience, you might assume he was one you could learn from. Fact is, by today's standards, his knowledge was not progressive. When I began my cattle operation, he was convinced that minerals were a waste of money. I have had to "unlearn" a lot of what I grew up believing. So experience can be bad or it can be good.

Personally, I think you could only be offended by City Guy because you allowed yourself to be offended. He was very benign in my opinion.
Go back and read more of his post. He was a Richard.
It's one thing to ask questions to learn. His deal was something else.

Do you really care what his deal was? I read several of his posts. I did not get the impression he was a threat to the tranquility of the forum.

M-5":bfgbq4p3 said:
Bright Raven":bfgbq4p3 said:
farmerjan":bfgbq4p3 said:

Says the guy on his third chance. CG was a AH and thought he was smarter than anyone else.

That might not be too big of a challenge.

BTW: I like this quote from Isaac Asimov.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Bright Raven":3c4j16qn said:
farmerjan":3c4j16qn said:
Bright Raven you must not have read all his posts in the different topics. His comments to Kell-inKy were rude and very uncalled for. Especially his attitude that people shouldn't be chasing the dollar or "BRAGGING RIGHTS" to have the first calf by calving in the winter. That particular calf WAS NOT planned for winter and it was stated so right in the beginning of the post. So yeah, I think he was being argumentative and judgemental. Maybe if it was directed at you, you'd have a different opinion. It would have been different if he was even doing ANYTHING that constituted "farming" or homesteading or self-sufficiency, but he wasn't, and kept saying that this one should do this or that one should do that. I honestly tried to overlook some of his "attitude" and answer in a manner that I thought would show that some of us have tried some of the stuff but it was never enough. And there are several on here that probably are doing alot more things like rotational grazing etc than they reveal and have alot more than my many years but still limited experience.

Enough, you are entitled to believe what you want.

I did not read a lot of his posts. I am fairly selective about what I read. I missed the exchange you mentioned. I value diversity. I think that was his greatest asset to the forum. Most of the regulars on this forum walk the same walk, dance to the same drum, and share common values. A user like City Guy brings something new to the party.

Thank you for conceding that I am entitled to believe what I want. And City Guy has the same entitlement.

There's your answer. You didn't read a lot of his posts, you are fairly selective about what you read, you value diversity but missed the exchange I mentioned; yet you can make a judgement that he was a great asset to this forum. Believe what you want but making a statement like that without being aware of all the exchanges and reading some of the posts, also makes you closed to diversity.

Bright Raven":2acq4ekn said:
M-5":2acq4ekn said:
Bright Raven":2acq4ekn said:

That might not be too big of a challenge.

BTW: I like this quote from Isaac Asimov.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
to borrow a quote from Rush Limbaugh I can do this forum "with half my brain tied behind my back" I've known quite a few folk with a few letters behind their name that was dumb as a box of rocks if it didn't pertain to their specialty.

If the forum is better off without City Guy, I would wager he is willing to make this great sacrifice so the ones who were damaged by his egregious behavior are made whole.

Bright Raven":1n5yh8cw said:
I read several of his posts.
I think a guy by the name of Ron wrote all his posts...
This is our 'guy' right here
Ron_zpskxlazq80.png

Yeah maybe
I always thought he was a regular member arguing the other side for entertainment purposes. I find it hard to believe there is someone living in the city in a apartment,with no ag. Background or interest. And spending his time researching so he can argue with ct members. ....nope I don't buy it.

alisonb":2mwtf69e said:
Bright Raven":2mwtf69e said:
I read several of his posts.
I think a guy by the name of Ron wrote all his posts...
This is our 'guy' right here
Ron_zpskxlazq80.png

Haha. I have gotten older!

Nope. It was not me but that would be clever.

Edited to add:

JWBrahman had a chat on that. I expressed to him that it might be AllForage in disguise. But I came to believe he was what he said he was.

sim.-ang.king":3d3lps1s said:
Kell-inKY":3d3lps1s said:
farmerjan":3d3lps1s said:
Kell inKY was ............ since she................ from her.
Except I'm a DUDE! My name is Kelly, thought Kell would eliminate some gender confusion, apparently not. I used to get some interesting mail and phone calls :) should probably change my avatar to that male symbol!
Kell is the name of a VERY near by town (if you get my drift ;-) ). So I always figured you lived in Kell, KY, instead of Kell, IL, till I found out there wasn't a Kell, KY. :lol:

You live in a flavorful location! :nod: I have been eating those peaches from east of the water tower for over 30 years! :clap:

Bright Raven":32b0u61f said:
jedstivers":32b0u61f said:
Bright Raven":32b0u61f said:

Go back and read more of his post. He was a Richard.
It's one thing to ask questions to learn. His deal was something else.

Do you really care what his deal was? I read several of his posts. I did not get the impression he was a threat to the tranquility of the forum.
Actually I could care less what his or your deal is. I said what I thought and I stand by it.
Also I don't come to this site near as much cause of the stupid sh !t on it now. Check once in a while and leave.

jedstiver stated:

... I don't come to this site near as much cause of the stupid sh !t on it now.

Yes. I see that too. The cause is transparent - insecurity. Maybe some of these folks grew up in homes where they were not able to live out their childhood and thus, they are doing it here.

Some of the insecurity seems to come from lack of confidence. Either in their knowledge or because of their childhood. Maybe their parents belittled them or were poor role models.

Bright Raven":2806a8rp said:
jedstiver stated:

Yes. I see that too. The cause is transparent - insecurity. Maybe some of these folks grew up in homes where they were not able to live out their childhood and thus, they are doing it here.

Some of the insecurity seems to come from lack of confidence. Either in their knowledge or because of their childhood. Maybe their parents belittled them or were poor role models
iirc that's what you stated stated your childhood was.

M-5":380nsi9h said:
Bright Raven":380nsi9h said:
jedstiver stated:

Some of the insecurity seems to come from lack of confidence. Either in their knowledge or because of their childhood. Maybe their parents belittled them or were poor role models
iirc that's what you stated stated your childhood was.

Bite your tongue. :D

TennesseeTuxedo":hb5zrqcg said:
I don't miss City Guy at all. He was an annoying troll.

Jedstivers, this is an example of the stupid sh*t you mentioned. But don't hold it against TT. He suffers from big man syndrome.

Sometimes people forget that this forum belongs to ALL that post within the rules. A Facebook page could be a better option if they feel a need to control the post content.

Latest posts