City fox ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Unfortunately this happens more everyday, it is wrong in so many ways.
Very cute but wrong

I had a fox that would run through the lower bottom of my place in SD, and if I was down there in the early morning he would circle around and once past he would do a little dance, jumping and bucking around. I'd try my best to mimic him. When I did he would watch and wait for me to finish, but you could see he was excited by my attention. After I did my dance he'd do another. And we carried on like that for a minute or two, trading craziness. Never saw him up by the house where the chickens were. I think he was visiting the prairie dog town just north of the creek bottom. He never gave me cause to worry so I left him alone.

I had a good dog and can't imagine why it wasn't with me the first time I saw the fox. But after that I made a point to visit the bottom without the dog. The dog was a stone cold killer if she could get ahold of any varmint so I'd bet she would have been after the fox in a heartbeat.

We have a fox that lives here on the farm. Before she moved in, we had a problem with prairie dogs. They were starting to get into our hayfield, but not no more. She got every single one. She usually has several pups every year; seen the little ones down at the water tank last week.

We have a fox that lives here on the farm. Before she moved in, we had a problem with prairie dogs. They were starting to get into our hayfield, but not no more. She got every single one. She usually has several pups every year; seen the little ones down at the water tank last week.
Yep I have a little grey fox that barks at you after dark.
Very efficient vermin control.
Watch her routinely working field mice over at daylight or dusk.
I could get upset at someone for messing with her. I understand the chicken folks

Seems like coyotes have pushed foxes closer to people. Before coyotes foxes were pretty common out in the fields, then they pretty much disappeared for awhile then resurfaced again in close proximity to humans. At night we see them often crossing roads around houses. A few years ago, had some take up residence close to our yard, they would come out at night and eat leftover cat food. Stopped leaving food out because of it drawing other varmits too. Still see a fox every once in a while around. I don't mind them as we have our chickens and rabbits penned.
Once in a while I'll find pieces of a fox where coyotes have gotten them.
Coyotes are thick and are always a concern when it it comes to calves, but we haven't lost any to them for several years. One of our cats is missing this morning and my wife said she heard coyotes close to the house last night so they probably snatched the cat.
I'd been saying that cat was so stupid that it must have 900 lives instead of nine, but it must have run out. 😭
Our other cat is pretty smart and cautious it's much more streetwise.

I had a fox that would run through the lower bottom of my place in SD, and if I was down there in the early morning he would circle around and once past he would do a little dance, jumping and bucking around. I'd try my best to mimic him. When I did he would watch and wait for me to finish, but you could see he was excited by my attention. After I did my dance he'd do another. And we carried on like that for a minute or two, trading craziness. Never saw him up by the house where the chickens were. I think he was visiting the prairie dog town just north of the creek bottom. He never gave me cause to worry so I left him alone.

I had a good dog and can't imagine why it wasn't with me the first time I saw the fox. But after that I made a point to visit the bottom without the dog. The dog was a stone cold killer if she could get ahold of any varmint so I'd bet she would have been after the fox in a heartbeat.
Video with Kevin Costner soon to be released.... Dances With Foxes

Some places make a good supplemental income charging people a fee to shoot prairie dogs.

Some places make a good supplemental income charging people a fee to shoot prairie dogs.
I shot a lot of them. I had to be really careful when shooting as there are buildings all around, so I would drive up to them in the pickup and shoot out the window. I as maybe 10' away, that way there was not possible way I could miss. Then the fox moved in and she took care of the rest.

There used to be a prairie dog shoot in Nucla Colorado, but I think the animal activates got it shut down.

Latest posts