Cinco de Mayo

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
This week Cinco De Mayo will be celebrated all over the USA, I wonder how many know what they are celebrating ?

cowboy43":3p3dqz49 said:
This week Cinco De Mayo will be celebrated all over the USA, I wonder how many know what they are celebrating ?
Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Five of May") is a celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[1][2] In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16

M-5":mdphas5y said:
Why do Americans celebrate a Mexican holiday , I don't understand this. MAybe we should make may 5th the day they are all deported . that's a holiday I could celebrate.

You better hide: Almost every remaining tobacco farmer in the State of Kentucky relies on Mexican Emigrant labor. Plus many of the dairy and beef producers.

TexasBred":30usyciw said:
cowboy43":30usyciw said:
Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Five of May") is a celebration held on May 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[1][2] In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16

I drank beer with his bronze statue on Cinco De Mayo one time.

M-5":25diavlc said:
Why do Americans celebrate a Mexican holiday , I don't understand this. MAybe we should make may 5th the day they are all deported . that's a holiday I could celebrate.

Commercialization. Its like grandparent's day or secretary's day or anything else. Get people drinking and celebrating and they'll spend their nickels. Yuppy guppies.

cowboy43":1fqqfi5j said:

Probably not very many. Actually it is more of an American party holiday, sort of like St Paddy's day. Americans eat food they think is Mexican and drink beverages they think are Mexican including beer imported from Mexico. Most Mexicans I know like Bud light. Tacos are street food/snacks, not what you would be served at a real Mexican celebration.

Hippie Rancher":3fymt5sf said:
cowboy43":3fymt5sf said:

Probably not very many. Actually it is more of an American party holiday, sort of like St Paddy's day. Americans eat food they think is Mexican and drink beverages they think are Mexican including beer imported from Mexico. Most Mexicans I know like Bud light. Tacos are street food/snacks, not what you would be served at a real Mexican celebration.
Real Mexicans would have barbequed cow head. One's working for me tried to give me some last year but I declined.

Growing up in west texas the Mexicans are homegrown Americans
They never associated themselves with Mexico
My sisters husband was a marine and you call him anything but an American and he wil give you an education.
Cinco de mayo was just an excuse to drink beer and cookout, not that we ever really needed an excuse :D

Brute 23":1lktdzby said:
TexasBred":1lktdzby said:
cowboy43":1lktdzby said:

I drank beer with his bronze statue on Cinco De Mayo one time.
Now that should be worth a couple of pictures posted on CT. :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo":2ambo7g5 said:
cowboy43":2ambo7g5 said:
Juneteenth in Texas how many know what that celebrates?

I do and I didn't "google" it.

That's the day the slaves in Texas received their emancipation from slavery.

TT I think it was actually the day they told them they hade been emancipated. Wanted to get the crop in before telling them. :shock: :lol:

ga.prime":23armf2e said:
Hippie Rancher":23armf2e said:
cowboy43":23armf2e said:

Real Mexicans would have barbequed cow head. One's working for me tried to give me some last year but I declined.

I think that's barbacoa (sp ?)
I ate the meat of the face
It was really good and tender

Barbacoa sounds right, cross. I'm sure it's good, they told me the head was the best part of the cow and I believe them. I'm just not that much of an adventurous eater at this stage of the game. :D

Latest posts