cidrs

Help Support CattleToday:

onecarl2002

Reaction score
Could someone give me a little info on how they work and what is going on I think I know then I read a comment and think I am way off. I am just now getting ready to start an AI program and I was ready up on CIDRS and thought maybe some one could explain their way better.

I'll try to make it simple.
You give a dose of GnRH - which will cause ovulation of any developing/maturing follicles and development of a corpus luteum(CL). If the cow has already ovulated and has a CL, the GnRH really doesn't do anything.
Then, the CIDR releases a constant supply of progesterone, which keeps all the cows you've CIDRed 'thinking' that they are pregnant - in this way, you get them all into the same stage of the estrus cycle. Then, when you pull the CIDR and give the prostaglandin injection(s), the CL will be lysed, a new follicle will develop/mature, and the cows should all come into heat in a very tight timeframe.

I bought all the cidrs last fall and was ready to begin the program and before I got it started the cows began cycling and within two weeks I had them bred. But the problem was our hot dry summer and I believe that the cows were either riding during the night or not at all and I was unable to detect heat. Also I was told that if a cow is over conditioned (fat) she won't be as aggressive during heat as they just aren't physically fit. Heat detection is the most difficult part of the AI program and that is why I have the cows that I am planning to breed where I can observe them during the day. I do understand that all operations are different and that is not always possible. I am planning on using the cidrs in about 5 weeks if the weather isn't to hot as I have 7 that I would like to calve together. It would make weaning and marketing their calves easier. In our area pens of 4 or 5 feeders bring the top price at the sale barn.

I haven't had the best of luck using CIDR's. I prefer to give a shot of prostaglandin and watch for heats. If they don't come into heat give a second round of prostaglandin 7-10 days later. You'll have heats within 2-3 days of giving the first shot and be on your way to getting cows bred. Fewer trips through the chute. Less cost. In my opinion, better conception rates. The only time I use CIDR's anymore is if I have a tough one to get cycling.

novaman- EXACTLY!!! There are all these fancy sync programs, but, if you are willing to heat check, the most reliable, cheapest way is two pg shots 11 days apart.
Heat ck for 5 days, breed everything you see in heat, pg the rest, heat check & breed, pg the remaining ones not already bred.
CIDR's will MAKE them come into heat, and will "kick-start" ones that are not cycling --- but --- you are looking at a subfertile heat cycle - some will settle, some won't. You would actually be better off breeding them on their next normal cycle.
But pg will not MAKE a cow come into heat. It only works if they already have a CL.
That is why CIDR's work so well for recips. It makes them cycle on an exact time schedule, and you don't CARE if her egg is subfertile - you are not going to use her egg!

This is what i have been doing with an 86% conception rate one the first AI attempt with the rest breeding on their next cycle. For 4 years running, I have been able to maintain a 36 day breeding season.

1. Before you begin an AI program, you need to consult your local large animal vet.
2. Health and Nutrition is Key

a. 60 days pre-calving you should worm your cows/heifers (a pour-on will do/ less stress the better)
b. Your cows/heifers should be in good condition pre-calving (BCS 5-6)
c. 30 days pre-breeding-- vaccinate your cows/heifers with CattleMaster 4 VL5 --this is safe for open cows only-- L5 is the 5 strains of Lepto; the V is for Vibrio, which helps prevent STD's when using AI. Always clear this with your local Vet, FIRST.

Cows-- I put on a "clean pasture" post-calving, which means that they are on a pasture that I have stockpiled forage from late summer. What we do is take a cutting of hay about mid-July and clean the pasture of everything. Clean water, fresh mineral, drag pasture, aerate-- the works.

First-calf heifers -- I just put them in a separate "clean pasture" post-calving and supplement them -- don't wonder about this --just do it.

52 - 55 days post-calving we follow this protocol:

Day 1- Insert CIDR (with the use of Novalube not water--ever) and 2 ml of Cystorellin (to clear up any cystic ovaries)
Day 7 - Pull CIDR, inject 5 ml of Lutalyse for cows/heifers under 1300 lbs and 6ml on cows over 1300.

Also on Day 7 apply an Estrus Alert Patch-- just in front of the tail head-- they are silver (like a scratch off Lotto ticket) and will rub off (Flame orange I can see better at night) when the cow is being ridden (coming into estrus), which will help you determine activity (Estrus Alert patches are self-adhesive and cost $1) and worth their weight in gold. Just do it.

Heat detection is key and you will get out of AI what you put into it. Little or no effort will bring you low conception rates and disappointments.

If you are lacking in the health and nutrition categories -- do youself a favor and buy a decent bull instead.

About 24-48 hours after you have pulled the CIDR's, there should be quite a bit of activity from your cattle. If you are trying to breed cattle in a warm environment you may have to burn some candlelight hours in the field as cows just don't show signs of estrus under heat stress.
Anyway if she is standing at 6am breed her at 6pm
Standing at 6pm breed her at 6am

We do have other things to do in life besides breed cows and the am/pm rule isn't always convenient for us, so when this happens and it will with the occasional cow standing at 2pm with a breed time of 2 am, do this>>>

Get her up about 8pm and inject her with 2ml of cystorellin, which will shut down estrus. Breed her early, 3 hours later at 10-11 pm. This works really well.

Also, if you haven't seen a cow in estrus by the 80th hour--- breed her anyway and you will normally catch about 60% of those.

Heat detection becomes a no brainer with Estrus Alert, so this is good.

onecarl2002":1dhv07vs said:
Could someone give me a little info on how they work and what is going on I think I know then I read a comment and think I am way off. I am just now getting ready to start an AI program and I was ready up on CIDRS and thought maybe some one could explain their way better.

Latest posts