Cidrs

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
The last couple of times I have tried to use Cidrs when breeding heifers, I haven't had very good results. This is especially true when I have tried to reuse the cidrs on the next set of heifers. Anyone else experiencing this?? I was wondering if the manufacturers had cut back on the ingredients, making then suitable for only one use?? The first time that I used them(cidrs) in breeding a group of heifers I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Its been downhill ever since. Comments.

I heard that the ones sold in Canada have a higher amount of whatever it is in the CIDR's and can be used more than once. I used mine twice last year, just washed them, bagged them tight and put back in the same heifers 20 some days later.

Dee":338t52ph said:
I heard that the ones sold in Canada have a higher amount of whatever it is in the CIDR's and can be used more than once. I used mine twice last year, just washed them, bagged them tight and put back in the same heifers 20 some days later.

Why did you put them in the same heifers 20 days later? Why not breed them the first time around?

The first yeare we used them our vet talked about watching the ones that were bred for those who came back in heat and if we wanted to we could reinsert the cidrs in those animals and it would have thm cylcing again in no time synch and everything.. I kind of stared at him and said if I am going to round them up again, why wouldn't I just AI them than?

We only use them once and then toss them. Some people have used them on their heifers, cleaned them up and then used them on their cows.

We have noticed similar results since they were first released. The first year we used the protocol that used only lutalyse and that worked out really well. Then the second year we used the gnrh and lutalyse and that didn't work out as well. Since then we have not been using them on heifers. I talked to a respected rancher and he is concerned that they are a little to strong on heifers since they are still developing.

Since then we have used lutalyse to catch the heifers we can and then hit the others again to see if we can catch them. After that they have been AI'd, then they go with the bull. The top 2/3rds are kept and the rest, later-calvers, are sold as breds. We do use the cidr's on cows still to pull up the late late calvers.

Around this country I have heard from several different people that the CIDR's seem to be causing some problems even with the cows. I think a guy should use them once and throw them away. There is something about science that does not fit totally with the nature of some cattle.

I think the CIDR's are a great tool, but you need to make sure your timing on everything is correct. A couple hours early or late because it fits your busy schedule can screw things up with the protocol.

My vet said I could reuse them, put it in a ziploc, put it in the freezer, but they had to be used on the same animal. I told him that is too gross, and tossed it after one use.

GMN

The Canadian and Mexican CIDRs that were being used in the US before they had FDA approval had twice the dosage of progesterone in them as compared to the ones currently marketed in the U.S., which was why we usually used them twice in cows, and could use them for a third time in heifers. I don't try to re-use the FDA approved ones a second time, simply because I figure that one lost heat and/or infection is going to cost me more than I'll save by re-using the CIDRs.

Latest posts