CIDR questions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":jw5do09g said:
NEFarmwife":jw5do09g said:
We dip our gun in lube and then insert. We have great success with CIDRs so I can't imagine the lube being an issue.
Do you do that after cleaning the gun? Otherwise, it would contaminate the lube??
Our guns are cleaned after use and stored in a tote till next time after they've dried.

We use Two 5 gallon buckets. One with the Disenfectant (Chlorhexidine), other bucket is a Water and Lube mixture (Chlorhexi-Lube).
We rinse with disenfectant after each cow and then dip the gun in the lube/water after a the CiDR has been loaded in the applicator.
It seems to work out pretty slick. No pun intended. :cboy:
We also have paper towels handy for the cows that have a lot of manure around the vulva.

I tie off the hand end of an ob glove, fill about half full of water/chlorhexidine then hook it on the side of the chute. The blue applicator fits nicely in there while we bring in another cow, and i'm not using/wasting a bunch of chlorhexidine.

DallyCash":3qmltdar said:
I tie off the hand end of an ob glove, fill about half full of water/chlorhexidine then hook it on the side of the chute. The blue applicator fits nicely in there while we bring in another cow, and i'm not using/wasting a bunch of chlorhexidine.

Nice, how do you keep the sleeve upright ?

NEFarmwife":3ox0d1mc said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ox0d1mc said:
NEFarmwife":3ox0d1mc said:
We dip our gun in lube and then insert. We have great success with CIDRs so I can't imagine the lube being an issue.
Do you do that after cleaning the gun? Otherwise, it would contaminate the lube??
Our guns are cleaned after use and stored in a tote till next time after they've dried.
Jean, I should add that we have close to 175 guns. So when we do CIDRs, we don't have to re-use them multiple times during inserts.

The morning of, we get them all pre-loaded and just dip in lube prior to insert. We use a powder lube that we pre-mix. So each time we mix a batch up for it, we dispose of what is remaining.

LCBulls":25h7todz said:
DallyCash":25h7todz said:

Nice, how do you keep the sleeve upright ?

I just poke a wire through the top of the glove. Cant be real rough on it or it will break, but you can just rotate the glove to another spot if the hole is getting a little too big. It keeps me from bending over to get the applicator out of a bucket, so even if I go through 2 or 3 gloves, I don't care. :D

Gun stays in a bucket of chlorohex solution. I load gun with CIDR, and then dip whole gun and CIDR in a one gallon jug of lube. Been doing it like this since CIDR's became available in the U.S.

Bringing this post back up. I put cidrs in a small group of heifers yesterday. I always put warm water in a clean bucket and pour in a splash of blue disinfectant. I drop the cidrs in the bucket to soak, and I swirl the gun in the solution after each cow to clean it off. Do I need to rinse the disinfectant water off the cidr before putting it in? I've been just inserting it strait from the bucket. This next group I plan to add a drop of lube to the cidr tip

I always dry mine off after the water and disinfectant, i sling the gun then run the paper towel down the outside and in the groove of gun best I can. Then use that paper towel to wipe her. then yes 1 drop of lube your good to go. I use a ketchup bottle like you see at restaurants., put the drop on the tip of the gun not the cidr.

bse said:
I always dry mine off after the water and disinfectant, i sling the gun then run the paper towel down the outside and in the groove of gun best I can. Then use that paper towel to wipe her. then yes 1 drop of lube your good to go. I use a ketchup bottle like you see at restaurants., put the drop on the tip of the gun not the cidr.

Thank you. Do you think the disinfectant on the cidr can hurt anything?

I dont think it will hurt, but I get all off I can, I do believe the cleaner the better, Its rare that I get any infection.I use 3 guns, its like an assembly line. 1 always in the water, 1 hanging, 1 loaded. After I insert, I wipe it, pull the one out of the water sling it, hang it, the 1 I used goes in the water, the 1 hanging is dried and loaded, and hopefully another cow is ready. If all that makes sense.

bse said:
I dont think it will hurt, but I get all off I can, I do believe the cleaner the better, Its rare that I get any infection.I use 3 guns, its like an assembly line. 1 always in the water, 1 hanging, 1 loaded. After I insert, I wipe it, pull the one out of the water sling it, hang it, the 1 I used goes in the water, the 1 hanging is dried and loaded, and hopefully another cow is ready. If all that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the advice, I will starting doing that

Doesn't suggest that on the label and I have NEVER done it. To me, that's more chance of contamination and/or irritation to the cow/heifer. We don't even put the lube on the cidr - just the gun - some may get on it, but we don't TRY to put it on. Read the bag.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Doesn't suggest that on the label and I have NEVER done it. To me, that's more chance of contamination and/or irritation to the cow/heifer. We don't even put the lube on the cidr - just the gun - some may get on it, but we don't TRY to put it on. Read the bag.

Agreed. We just did another 135 yesterday. The tip of cidr will have some lube on it but it is not soaked in disinfectant, lube, or water.

We use a cool whip container with the side cut out, that we quickly roll the loaded gun in. We've learned this helps from getting too much lube, which isn't as messy. Prior to that, we'd have to let some drip off before moving it to chute.

Latest posts