CIDR questions!

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
So I started putting CIDR's in today. Most everything went ok, but it seemed like some of the CIDR's wanted to slide back out. Is this normal? How do you get around it? As long as the CIDR is in, will it be effective even though it might not be a deep as some others? This was my first go around with putting in CIDR's. Thanks!

southernultrablack":3imbuems said:
So I started putting CIDR's in today. Most everything went ok, but it seemed like some of the CIDR's wanted to slide back out. Is this normal? How do you get around it? As long as the CIDR is in, will it be effective even though it might not be a deep as some others? This was my first go around with putting in CIDR's. Thanks!

It is normal. But the expanding wings toward the front should maintain enough pressure to hold them. Always put the blue tail down so it does not attract the attention of other cows.

If they are In and the tail is down, the hormone on the CIDR will get the job done.

The concern I have if part of the cidr hangs out a bit is a greater risk of contamination with faeces staining the outer part greenish. I just feel it acts like a wick drawing contamination inside. Once I get the applicator in I work it back and forth a bit to make sure it is in up to the hilt, I squeeze the handle hard to make sure it ejects to its full extent and as I withdraw it I hold the tail and push it back a bit without kinking it and I think that helps it to clear the applicator as well'

As Ron said but remember to end with the tail down you have to put it in the applicator with the tail on top. Just follow the directions on the packet if you are unsure.

Ken

I put two CIDRs in yesterday. I had one that seem to slide out a little. I pushed it in with the tail. If you fill the slot in the applicator with lube and cover the outside well. The CIDR can be repositioned with the tail. USE LOTS OF LUBE!

Does anyone mix dicinfectant in with the cidr water? I did it for the first time this fall, all the cidrs came out clean with no smell or discoloration. In years past I've had some come out with a bad smell.

If there heifers you may have to use more pressure, there virgin, you shouldn't see any white no matter if there heifers or mature cows. Free Martin will only go in about half.
If your seeing white I'd get them up and redo.

T&B I always use novalsan and water, keep 3 guns going, when it comes out of the cow, wiped, in the water, then dried, your right big difference, hate that little infection.

T & B farms":zbcgk4nd said:
Does anyone mix dicinfectant in with the cidr water? I did it for the first time this fall, all the cidrs came out clean with no smell or discoloration. In years past I've had some come out with a bad smell.

I wash good between uses with dish detergent and hot water.

Bright Raven":2ni3c4qe said:
T & B farms":2ni3c4qe said:

I do not reuse cidrs, they are one and done for me. I was meaning I mixed some blue disinfectant in with the water I soak the cidrs in before putting them in cows. Is this a bad idea? They sure came out clean this time.

T & B farms":1436dqrg said:
Bright Raven":1436dqrg said:
T & B farms":1436dqrg said:

I do not reuse cidrs, they are one and done for me. I was meaning I mixed some blue disinfectant in with the water I soak the cidrs in before putting them in cows. Is this a bad idea? They sure came out clean this time.

I mean I wash the applicator between cows. The CIDR should not need to be disinfected before use. If they are new, they are created in a clean environment. I do wash the CIDR if I refuse it but I do mostly natural heats so also discard the CIDR after one use.

bse":2fejpnt8 said:
If there heifers you may have to use more pressure, there virgin, you shouldn't see any white no matter if there heifers or mature cows. Free Martin will only go in about half.
If your seeing white I'd get them up and redo.

T&B I always use novalsan and water, keep 3 guns going, when it comes out of the cow, wiped, in the water, then dried, your right big difference, hate that little infection.

Barry

I had one yesterday that slid back as I withdrew the applicator. I use a lot of lube so I was able to push it back forward with the tail.

BTW: I also wash the vulva with warm soapy water to avoid pushing any manure into the vagina.

Ron, you may want to cut down on the lube, I use 1 drop about the size of a pencil eraser.

Got me a make every shot count box(there great) 1 opening for novalsan the other just water, cider guns fit perfect, so novalsan, water, dried, loaded 1 drop of lube.

I take down 2 buckets of clean water water when I put in CIDR's. Mix a up a disinfectant in one and use the other as a rinse.

I put CIDR's in heifers a little over a week ago and had one that kept wanting to poke out a little even after I put her back in the headgate and pushed it in with my fingers. I was kind of worried about it until I went and looked at her the next day. It had actually pulled itself in and had no white showing for the duration of the protocol.

bse":29ohmz4a said:
Ron, you may want to cut down on the lube, I use 1 drop about the size of a pencil eraser.

Got me a make every shot count box(there great) 1 opening for novalsan the other just water, cider guns fit perfect, so novalsan, water, dried, loaded 1 drop of lube.

Wow. I cover it. Can too much reduce the absorption of progesterone?

Bright Raven":2ztxan5j said:
bse":2ztxan5j said:

I couldn't say for sure, but it makes sense that it could, I try my best to get no lube on the cider itself. I use a ketchup bottle, 1 little line on top edge of the gun, would amount to a drop, go in on that angle, up and over.
Sometimes not often I do hold the string in place as I back the gun out.

Bright Raven":11f69v7b said:
bse":11f69v7b said:

I hope it doesn't hinder absorption, I used copious amounts of lube......

southernultrablack":qg0s14uq said:
Bright Raven":qg0s14uq said:
bse":qg0s14uq said:

Me too. You should be fine. The lube will be worked off with normal vaginal activity. In the future, I plan to avoid getting the lube on the CIDR.

There was a study a few years ago using Novalube for the lubricant on the outside of the CIDR gun and pregnancy rates were increased. It seemed to help us then. I haven't used CIDR's in a couple of years, but we are planning on doing the same again soon. I like that idea of a bucket of Nolvasan to clean the CIDR guns as well.

Bright Raven":2o5yf5cg said:
southernultrablack":2o5yf5cg said:
Bright Raven":2o5yf5cg said:

Me too. You should be fine. The lube will be worked off with normal vaginal activity. In the future, I plan to avoid getting the lube on the CIDR.

What sort of activity is that Ron? You are right though the lube and normal secretions are what dissolve the slow release progesterone which is then absorbed by the vaginal mucosa. It needs those fluids/mucous as the vehicle so it can be absorbed.

Dry cidr, dry vagina = no absorption.

Ken

wbvs58":igq2rbz2 said:
Bright Raven":igq2rbz2 said:
southernultrablack":igq2rbz2 said:

What sort of activity is that Ron? You are right though the lube and normal secretions are what dissolve the slow release progesterone which is then absorbed by the vaginal mucosa. It needs those fluids/mucous as the vehicle so it can be absorbed.

Dry cidr, dry vagina = no absorption.

Ken

Vaginal secretions.

Ken. Just to be real clear. Does getting the Lube on the CIDR improve absorption? I even lube the slotted area of the CIDR applicator gun which means I put lube directly on the loaded CIDR.

Ron

Latest posts